www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 14th, 2018, 12:50   #76
Hasenwerk

I'm going to agree with everyone else - pulley is too small. However, the original and much larger idler pulley should fit in that location - just the pulley and not the arm and all that jazz that normally goes with? There is a MB pulley that I used for mine that has some flanges on the side of it to keep the belt in place.
Hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 17:33   #77
All Stock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU

You may even be able to fit the timing tensioner pulley in that spot, bigger bearing, bigger OD and side flanges. It can get really close to the crank and be ok and still be ok if its a 1/4" away from the opposing direction of the same belt on the other side as long as the next pulley up stream of that is not a tensioner.
Old February 18th, 2018, 09:03   #78
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

The Comanche has started it's trip to California from the Michigan winter.

Here it loaded on Brandon's trailer.

Brandon says the trip from Indiana to northern Michigan was good, but on the way home he hit snow about the Indiana border so stopped for the night.
The truck will spend a couple of weeks in Indiana, they make it's trip to California.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 16:54   #79
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Matt says he will provide a larger idler, modified bracket, and slightly longer belt. So no more worries on that score. Not bad service either! Thanks Matt.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 20:01   #80
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Well the TDI Comanche made it to San Diego on March 10.

Here is a picture of the truck on a U haul trailer starting the last leg of it's journey. Another Comanche Club member was going to San Diego to pick up a camper shell for his Dodge and offered to deliver the truck right to my door! How is that for help!!

[/IMG]

The left front tire was almost flat from a slow leak and the clutch was not releasing well to change gears. But it is finally in California and we have started the registration process by going to the Auto Club. Only to find out that because the truck is from British Columbia I can only register it by making an appointment with the California DMV. The first appointment time was 2 weeks out, so the car sat in the driveway till then.

The registration process was fairly simple and I had all the documents required, so I walked out with a temporary registration and the DMV got a $186 check for use tax, current registration and about 15 different misc. "fees". My only surprise was that because it is a pickup and registered as a commercial vehicle, I had to get a certified weight on the truck. My Briitish Columbia registration listed the weight as 1393 kg or 3071lbs, but not good enough for the DMV

So a trip to a Certified Scale and $15 later I have the Certified Weight of 3180 lbs, that is with 23 gallons of diesel in the fuel tank. Just one more trip back to the DMV to turn in my paperwork and I will get a fresh set of California plates. Also got the truck added to my insurance policy today.

More about the clutch issue and it's solution in the next post

Last edited by john.jackson9213; April 4th, 2018 at 21:55.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 22:51   #81
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

We noticed the clutch problem the first time we moved the truck off the trailer on to the driveway.

Matt said the clutch had been fine at his place. Brandon, the Comanche Club member also told me the clutch had been fine both when he picked up the truck in Michigan and when he dropped it of at 29 Palms, Ca. But by the time the tuck got to San Diego we noticed the problem about 3 weeks later.

Whitbread was going to be in Southern California for Easter, so we agreed he would check it out when he got here. Last Thursday we met half way between where he was staying and San Diego. After bleeding the clutch, Matt noticed the clutch fluid was discolored and had some aluminum particles suspended in it. His diagnosis: A bad clutch cylinder out of the box - scraping the bore of the cylinder wall. So Matt called his NAPA supplier in Michigan who agreed to a warranted replacement for the clutch master cylinder and had it delivered to my local NAPA store for me to pick up on Saturday. Here is a picture of the new parts:

Net result is the clutch seems to be just fine today. With more test driving to follow.

Next project is to take care of the slow leak in the left front tire
Old April 4th, 2018, 12:21   #82
evguy1

I'm sure the Jeep is happy to be back on the west coast.
evguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2018, 22:10   #83
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Took the slow leaker tire to Discount Tire to get it fixed this afternoon.
But turns out the tires were made in 2000 - so they are 18 years old! That surprised me, because they have no cracking or aging on the sidewalls and seemed to be in great condition.

So replacing the tires and figuring out what wheels I want on the truck just moved way up to the head of the line. Not exactly what I planned. But it needs to be done.

Stock steel wheels were 15 x 6 wide. Optional were 15 x 7 wheels and in later years, the 15 x 7 size was standard. Any wheel that fits the 86 to 2001 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) will work. Just a matter of deciding on a wheel style.
Old April 8th, 2018, 08:25   #84
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Seems I spoke too soon about the clutch. My clutch problem is back again. Clutch is not properly disengaging.

Fluid level in the master cylinder was down about half an inch from where it was topped off on Tuesday.

The transmission is an AX15 from a 1990 Cherokee with a new matching clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. Unfortunately, the transmission also has the internal slave cylinder. Which means I have to drop the transmission to check or change the slave cylinder.

Both the current slave cylinder and master cylinder are the second new ones Matt installed, so something is going on that has not been identified.
Old April 8th, 2018, 09:11   #85
jmodge
Veteran Member

Curious about the type of fluid. Is something worn or misaligned? Metal in the fluid? I wonder if the manufacturer had a run of defective parts? Sounds like you have stock clutch parts that should all be compatible.
Old April 8th, 2018, 09:54   #86
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodge View Post
Curious about the type of fluid. Is something worn or misaligned? Metal in the fluid? I wonder if the manufacturer had a run of defective parts? Sounds like you have stock clutch parts that should all be compatible.
DOT 3 brake fluid is factory spec and what was used.

Metal flakes in the fluid was why we replaced the master on Tuesday. But the fluid seemed to be free of flakes when I inspected it on Saturday.

Run of defective parts is possible. But one part purchased in Michigan, replacement purchased in San Diego. Still, master cylinders for 85-87 Jeep are not likely a high turnover item - so guess they could have come from the same batch several years ago.

First step is to bleed clutch AGAIN and inspect the fluid closely.
Old April 8th, 2018, 11:32   #87
jmodge
Veteran Member

Line between slave and master slowly seeping? Sounds like it takes awhile of sitting or use to occurs, along with loss of fluid?
Old April 8th, 2018, 12:12   #88
mogly
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.jackson9213 View Post
Seems I spoke too soon about the clutch. My clutch problem is back again. Clutch is not properly disengaging.

Fluid level in the master cylinder was down about half an inch from where it was topped off on Tuesday.

The transmission is an AX15 from a 1990 Cherokee with a new matching clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. Unfortunately, the transmission also has the internal slave cylinder. Which means I have to drop the transmission to check or change the slave cylinder.

Both the current slave cylinder and master cylinder are the second new ones Matt installed, so something is going on that has not been identified.

Clearly the fluid is going somewhere. It's a little unusual that the fluid loss is happening while the system is not under any pressure. Have you inspected the bottom of the truck for wetness? Maybe have someone operate the clutch pedal repeatedly (10-15 pumps) and then hold while someone is underneath inspecting for drips.
mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2018, 22:43   #89
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogly View Post
Clearly the fluid is going somewhere. It's a little unusual that the fluid loss is happening while the system is not under any pressure. Have you inspected the bottom of the truck for wetness? Maybe have someone operate the clutch pedal repeatedly (10-15 pumps) and then hold while someone is underneath inspecting for drips.
Finished bleeding the clutch today. Wiped down all the joints I could see. Only fluid was from the bleeder valve while I was bleeding it. But will recheck in the morning. Found my USB inspection camera for my phone this evening. Plan is to use the camera to look inside the bell housing. The transmission has an internal slave cylinder, so maybe that is leaking. But the internal slave has also been change twice.

Finding decent replacement parts is not just a VW problem, unfortunately.
Old April 10th, 2018, 11:17   #90
mogly
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.jackson9213 View Post
Finished bleeding the clutch today. Wiped down all the joints I could see. Only fluid was from the bleeder valve while I was bleeding it. But will recheck in the morning. Found my USB inspection camera for my phone this evening. Plan is to use the camera to look inside the bell housing. The transmission has an internal slave cylinder, so maybe that is leaking. But the internal slave has also been change twice.

Finding decent replacement parts is not just a VW problem, unfortunately.

If the fluid is down it is going somewhere. Even it were leaking inside the BH it would find it`s way out so you`d see wetness. Some clutch hydraulic systems can be real devils to fully bleed. Bench bleeding first really aids to a proper system bleed, IHMO.
mogly is offline   Reply With Quote