www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old October 10th, 2017, 17:03   #16
All Stock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU

You are going to have problems with your belt setup. I am in the process of reconfiguring mine as well.

The issue you are going to have is your tensioner is on the load side of the crank. It needs to be on the slack side. Mine exhibited the problem and it was post Water pump drive. It helped marginally for me to use a clutched alt pulley as VW originally did, but it did not solve it. The spring will eventually weaken on the tensioner and it will move due to a load situation and then tension again. It will bounce at idle due to load > slack > load > slack and on. When revved up its fine (constant higher load), but my observation was only when parked not going down the road.
I even tried flipping mine on the spring, no change.

On Edit: Duh, just noticed you mentioned you intended to lock the tensioner in place.. That will solve it. I'll leave the post intact in case someone else attempts this and needs the explanation why it wont work.

Last edited by All Stock; October 10th, 2017 at 17:08.
All Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 08:03   #17
Exenos
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf

Yeah i had wanted to use the tensioner as a sprung tensioner but decided against it for the same reason you mentioned. Right now I made a little adjustable position lock for it and im just gonna use that to tension the belt for now. See how that goes and might just leave it if there's no problem. I have a big flywheel with almost twice the moi of the vw one so im counting on that dampening out the torque reversals to gasser levels.
Exenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 09:58   #18
Exenos
Veteran Member

Can I block off the coolant port on the back of my head and pull the heater core coolant from the main coolant outlet? I had always assumed no but I came across a thread that leads me to believe that that only applies to alh and newer.
Old October 11th, 2017, 10:42   #19
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

There shouldn't be any real problem on the AHU pulling coolant only from the front of the head. Pretty sure the side and front outlets are connected together. VW moved temperature sensors around between those two flanges over the years implying they felt they were both doing the same thing.

Some of the earlier IDI cars (which use the same basic cooling system layout but which put quite a bit more heat per hp in the cooling system) used flow control valves on the heater core feed from the side of the head that would completely block flow when the heat was off.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old October 11th, 2017, 12:19   #20
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The coolant circuit needs to remain intact, as designed. I know for sure that if you do not have the heater circuit open, the engine will overheat starting with #4 cyl, as a member here found this out on his Studebaker pickup swap.
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:40   #21
Exenos
Veteran Member

Darn, I figured that'd be too simple.
Old October 12th, 2017, 08:20   #22
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

you might could block off the front outlet and run an ALH flange on the end of the head... would require some die grinder work and drilling/tapping for the larger flange but i would study the coolant diagrams and be prepared to waste a head ... i remember someone posting a pic of an euro market ahu/1z style head that did NOT have a coolant outlet on the front of the head... i realize this may not address what you were trying to do... just throwing ideas out there
Old October 16th, 2017, 09:18   #23
Exenos
Veteran Member

Figured I'd post the picture of the modified heater box I have, just cause everyone like pictures. Probably didn't need the silicone to seal it but I wanted a complete seal. I like my heat

My Id parts order with timing belt, exhaust studs and the other needed parts to get the engine ready to run reliably arrived to day so I just need to find someplace that stocks a 15x21mm bushing or bearing and doesn't want $25+ to ship a $5 part. I love Canada...

Last edited by Exenos; October 16th, 2017 at 09:32.
Old October 30th, 2017, 14:21   #24
Exenos
Veteran Member

Pilot bushing finally arrived so I buttoned up the back for the engine, adapter, spacer and flywheel all torqued and locktited. The engine is finaly ready to go in for the last time once I do the timing belt,

Also sorted out the hackery of charge piping I'm using until later. No inter cooler for version 1.0

Need to buy a crank sprocket and bolt then finish the timing belt.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 18:52   #25
Exenos
Veteran Member

More progress today. Made up a fan shroud/mount and throttle sensor mount. Couple other small things but those were the main items.

Don't have a better picture of the fan shroud but there's a ring of 1" 18gauge under the fan keeping it off the rad. Its a stock volvo fan from a xc70 wagon. Has a nice factory 2 speed fan controller. Same car I pulled my turbo off of actually.

The backet I made up to use the ford cable with the vw sensor. I get about 85% throttle before the carpet in the truck interferes with the pedal. I can push harder and get almost 100% travel but I think I'm going to adjust the throttle map to reflect this and put a hard stop on the pedal in the cab.

Thinking of mounting it here by the ecu but ill have to see when I get the engine back in before I make it permanent. Only thing I don't like it how close it is to the rad cap

Barring any set backs there is a chance I could have the truck driving next weekend but a more realistic time frame is 2 weeks from now. I have a few hours of finish wiring and a flange from the back of the head for the heater core to fab along with a bit of plumbing and it should be good for a test drive around the block. I'll need a bunch of fiddling for the gauges plus a few non swap related items to finish before it can be safetied and licensed.

Im currently waiting on a crank sprocket to come in at the parts store so I can finish up the timing belt then in goes the engine. I'm expecting to have it Monday.
Old November 6th, 2017, 08:24   #26
Exenos
Veteran Member

So how bad would it be over driving the water pump by 30% given that this is a fairly slow turning engine? I need to put the water pump on the serpentine belt right now and I have a pulley I can make work but it would result with the pump turning faster. What it means is that instead of turning 6250rpm@5k the pump would be turning 8300rpm@5k. By comparison a 1.8 has the water pump turning 8300rpm@6.6k engine rpm. I'm more concerned with the water pump speed at 3-4k because that's where the engine could potentially be sitting at while being heavily loaded. Water pump speed @4k would be something like 6.6k. Personally I'm comfortable with these numbers but I want to know what others think.
Old February 5th, 2018, 17:37   #27
Exenos
Veteran Member

Decided to scratch the vnt 15 and just run my td04 from the start. I was only running the vnt15 because I thought the egr port on the ahu manifold would interfere with the firewall. Decided to check and what do ya know it clears by a 1/2 inch. Td04 it is then.

Its a td04-13G from a old volvo 2.5. I had quite a bit of confusion when I measured the compressor because it measures with a 42mm inducer and 56mm exducer which lines up with a 15c not a 13g . Turns out its a volvo specific wheel. It flows 4lb/m more so I'm not complaining. Has a 7cm (0.49 A/R) housing on the exhaust so I'm a bit worried about the spool but it did come off a 2.5 and was also a stock turbo on a 2.5 diesel with the 7cm housing so I'm hoping it wont be too bad.

The td04 has a built in blow off valve it looks like. Had a single pressure reference on top of the diaphragm that I'll be feeding boost pressure for now but I might look into using it as a controlled air leak at low rpm if I actually spool fast enough to run into surge.

Sorry for the poor pics I think I had a smudge on the camera.

Old February 24th, 2018, 18:14   #28
Exenos
Veteran Member

Started it in the truck for the first time. The key works but I have a bad starter relay/solenoid so I had to jump the starter. Just need to buy a section of 1.25 rad hose, put the transfer case and drive shaft in and I could take it for a quick drive down the road right now but I'm going to hold off until I have a few more things done. I didn't have the oil drain done but I wanted to start it so no turbo for the video,

EDIT: How do you embed videos here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glomf3QlVDA&

Last edited by Exenos; February 24th, 2018 at 18:16.
Old March 7th, 2018, 05:39   #29
Exenos
Veteran Member

Bought a new solenoid and wired up the glow plugs. Starts with the key now and embarrassingly enough it definitely starts better than my daily driver even after siting for 3 years. I might need to do valve guides and seals because its got some good blue smoke on start up and the #3 intake port had some oil in it. Hoping it cleans up when its warm because I'd like to get it on the road first.

Also made up an oil drain and relocated the waste gate.

Welded up a 90 from 2" exhaust and used an intake piece from the vw and from a volvo for the charge piping. Still need to see about putting the iat sensor in there.

The exhaust is almost done but I discoverd that the flange for the td04 is too large to fit between the trans and frame rail like the vnt15 could so I need to cut that section in two and add a joint in there.
Also waiting on a harmonic balancer to arrive since mine was absolute toast. I have today off so I'm planning on getting it to the point where I can just fill it with coolant, bleed the clutch and drive it around on the weekend.
Old March 9th, 2018, 11:05   #30
Exenos
Veteran Member

So I've ran into quite a snag. I pulled the chips from the ecu, read then so I could work on a tune and put them back in. Made sure the HHH and LLL were in the right sockets and now im getting a no start. Checked to make sure power is going where it should be and everything is grounded. Cranks over but not even a thought of starting. What could have I messed up with the ecu when I pulled the chips? And just in case, who's the guy on the forum who sells the rover pumps? Might go that way if I need a new ecu.

EDIT: My ecu is a 028 906 021 JB would I need to replace it with a JB version or would any 028 906 021 work?

Last edited by Exenos; March 9th, 2018 at 13:09.