www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old February 9th, 2017, 05:01   #16
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Because the 1.4 TSI would be in boost more often (hurting real world fuel economy), as well as not meeting American power demands for that size of car. On a turbo gasser, you only want to be in boost when driving it hard, otherwise your fuel economy will go to crap.
Well Ford seems to think the 1.5L turbo 4 is OK in the Fusion. And I have driven one, and it gets the job done. Not sure how well it will hold up long term, though. I still think I'd opt for the base non-turbo 2.5L in that car if I had to pick. There is a 2.0L turbo available, too.

And Chevrolet also has a 1.5L turbo option in the Malibu. Also a very similar car to the NMS Passat.

Hyundai Sonata also has a 1.6L turbo 4 available.

And I am betting the Camry and Accord will be getting a smaller turbo 4 available soon, as right now they only have the larger non-turbo 4s (or a V6) available.

Of course, one could argue the NMS' current 1.8L turbo 4 is "small enough", and since they do not have a larger non-turbo 4 available maybe VAG decided to just try and cover both possible engine choices with one.

Last edited by oilhammer; February 9th, 2017 at 05:06.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 05:11   #17
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Toyota's sticking with naturally aspirated engines on the 2018 Camry - they're replacing the 2.5 liter 2AR-FE and 2AR-FXE with a 2.5 liter "Dynamic Force engine" with 40-41% thermal efficiency, and it looks like the 3.5 liter 2GR-FE is getting replaced with the 3.5 liter 2GR-FKS. True, they don't have a suitable turbo engine - the 8NR-FTS (used in the European Auris and C-HR) at 1.2 liters is too small, the 8AR-FTS (used here in the IS and NX 200t) at 2.0 liters is too powerful. But, it seems like they're happy with the performance of NA engines for the Camry, especially seeing as they're doing a new engine family for it.

The Accord's probably getting the 1.5T from the Civic, seeing as the CR-V's gotten it now. And, I'm guessing a 2.0T as the top engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 05:12   #18
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Because the 1.4 TSI would be in boost more often (hurting real world fuel economy), as well as not meeting American power demands for that size of car. On a turbo gasser, you only want to be in boost when driving it hard, otherwise your fuel economy will go to crap.
I think it would depend on how aggressively driven. City driving could suffer if forced to defend position in traffic often, but on the highway, it would not need much boost, and at the low end of boost, FE is enhanced, not penalized. It probably needs only 30hp to maintain 70. Linked to a 6MT, it could probably do surprisingly well.

Unfortunately, VW does not equip the Passat with a third pedal, period. Pity.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257

Last edited by dubStrom; February 9th, 2017 at 05:17.
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 08:08   #19
ssamalin
Veteran Member

I've never seen information on the new emissions testing before. VW says "the new American tests have effectively added 40 per cent to the total emissions detected in tests".

This partially confirms what I have been saying about why Mercedes canceled it's 2017 Bluetecs, to catch up with the new testing requirements in 2018.

Last edited by ssamalin; February 9th, 2017 at 08:20.
ssamalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 10:42   #20
BKmetz
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG

A few years back I rented a Chevy Cruze with the ECO 1.4L turbo and 6-speed auto transmission. As I was in the Phoenix area I had to drive it aggressively just to keep up with traffic. It was a gutless wonder that was shifting all the time. In a large metropolitan area I wouldn't own one. In a rural setting it would be adequate.

By comparison the last time I was in Phoenix I rented a 2016 NMS Passat with the 1.8TSI and 6-speed auto transmission. It was great. When passing on the interstate the torque felt like my TDI. It did not hunt for gears all day like the Cruze had to. In fairness the Passat did return lower fuel mileage, but I had power when I needed it.

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 10:55   #21
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

If you did not like the 1.4L turbo Cruze, you'd REALLY hate the 1.8L non-turbo one. They are even worse. Because THAT engine is torqueless, and the Cruze platform is way overweight for its size. One of my son's nurses has one of those turds, and I get to drive it to and from work now and then for service. I'd rather lather my scrotum in diesel fuel and run through a truck stop naked than drive that car. Shame, because the car itself is not that bad.
Old February 9th, 2017, 13:43   #22
berks_tom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: avg 42 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I'd rather lather my scrotum in diesel fuel and run through a truck stop naked than drive that car.
I think you just won the quote of the day.
berks_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 15:00   #23
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

I would be totally OK with a somewhat larger displacement engine that uses a Miller/Atkinson cycle, cylinder deactivation and/or throttling via valvelift, i.e. FCA Multiair, BMW Valvetronic.

There's something to be said about Toyota and Mazda favouring larger displacement, naturally aspirated engines with very high compression ratios. With the aforementioned additional measures, engine start-stop and high efficiency transmissions (wide ratio range, tall gearing, close spacings and low losses), fuel economy can be pretty good without the added complexity and failure modes of a turbocharged engine.

500cc/cylinder has been empirically found to give the best efficiency in passenger car-sized engines. Smaller than that, you have higher heat losses due to disadvantageous surface-to-volume ratio; larger than that increases pumping (throttling) and friction losses, particularly at low load.

VAG can very easily simplify its engine range to 1L 2-cylinder, 1.5L 3-cylinder, 2L 4-cylinder, 2.5L 5-cylinder, 3L 6-cylinder, 4L 8-cylinder, 5L 10-cylinder and 6L 12-cylinder engines with common bore, stroke and cylinder pitch, with NA/turbo, gasoline/Diesel/CNG variants for the entire group from the VW Up to Bentley/Lamborghini.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.

Last edited by TDIMeister; February 9th, 2017 at 15:04.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 16:14   #24
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

It's also worth noting this press release here: http://newsroom.toyota.eu/new-15-l-p...for-the-yaris/

Instead of downsizing and turbocharging, they upsized an already naturally aspirated engine, adding wide authority electric VVT and high compression to get more efficiency and better real world emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 18:26   #25
donDavide
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpltdi View Post
I am one of those people who got a 2017 Jetta S 1.4 TSI with my $500 dealer card that was going to expire in November. Just filled it up for the second time today, 577 miles on 13.3 gallons, which I calculate to be 43.4 miles per gallon in mixed driving. I tend to drive it like a diesel and use boost a lot. (Not sure if this is good for longevity, but it just feels good to me.) I'm certainly impressed - I can never get much more than 40 mpg with the 2014 Passat TDI DSG.
Just think if you get a tune also! I was hard pressed to get 40 in my 2012 Passat.
donDavide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 18:33   #26
donDavide
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post

500cc/cylinder has been empirically found to give the best efficiency in passenger car-sized engines. Smaller than that, you have higher heat losses due to disadvantageous surface-to-volume ratio; larger than that increases pumping (throttling) and friction losses, particularly at low load.
Would that apply to diesel engines too?
donDavide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 05:46   #27
NSTDI
Veteran Member

I will quote in Canadian MPG, 30 MPG converts to about 10L/100KM. These are average fuel economy numbers for mixed driving, except as noted. I am anal about recording fuel consumption and these numbers are actual.

My 2003 Passat 1.8L driven hard gave about 30-32 MPG with manual.
My Dad's 1982 Olds 98 4 door automatic 5.0L driven at 65MPH on the highway gave better than 30 MPG.
My 98 Beetle manual TDI gave better than 50MPG driven hard.
My 87 Dakota 4WD auto, 18 MPG. 3.9L V6 with a Holley 2 barrel.
2002 Tacoma 4WD 3.4L FI V6 manual, about 21 MPG on a good day.
84 Camry 4 cyl manual, 46 mpg highway (worst car I ever owned).
75 Nova 5.7L auto, 25 MPG highway, city a whole lot less. Bought it new.

Computerized FI is much more efficient than a carb 9 times out of 10. What amazes me is how little the fuel economy has improved over the 75 Nova, 82 Olds, 84 Camry, and 87 Dakota with the new fuel systems, better transmissions, etc.

As to how long a turbo small displacement motor will last, those 1.8L VW's ran forever without major issues. My 2003 was chipped and I drove the crap out of it.

Ford's turbo V6 in trucks is relatively new, it will be interesting to see how it stands up over time. Fuel economy wise they are much better on fuel than a V8, until you get into the boost. When towing, the fuel economy gets cut in half.

I think the next big change possible is a major improvement in batteries will get us into all electric cars. Electric motors are proven technology, lots of torque, last forever, low maintenance, zero emissions, no sensors, no exhaust, no turbo, no transmission. Check out electric car drag racing.

The weak link is the batteries- if a new battery is developed that is half the weight, has a range comparable to a gas car, say 600KM's or 400 miles, and a quick charge or changeout (like say trading your propane BBQ tank).

New gas or diesel small cars will go the way of the dodo. It could be in the next 5-20 years?

Last edited by NSTDI; February 10th, 2017 at 05:48.
NSTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 14:13   #28
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2014- 1168km per tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
My current daily driver is a Fiat 500 with the 1.4 FIRE 16v MultiAir non-turbo engine. No rocketship (not even close!) but it gets the job done. It is overgeared in the interest of mileage. Right now, in winter conditions, it's doing a little better than 6 L/100 km.

In europe the same car had either a 1.2 FIRE 8v or the "TwinAir" 0.9 litre 2 cylinder engine. Apparently the TwinAir was the engine to get (right number of cylinders, historically correct even though it's at the wrong end of the car) but real world fuel consumption isn't any better than with the 1.2 or 1.4 MultiAir.

The FIRE series of engines is in the process of being replaced. The new choices are a 1.0 3 cylinder (replacing the TwinAir and 1.2 FIRE) or a 1.3 4 cylinder (replacing the 1.4 16v FIRE). Interestingly, the new engines only have 2 valves per cylinder and are SOHC with VVT, but no MultiAir, and have a very high compression ratio (13:1) and the cam drive is by chain rather than belt. I think someone's been doing some optimizing to get the same or better power output and economy but with fewer parts and less complexity and less maintenance. I'm totally on board with that.
I had 2 fiat punto 55s as my daily for many years, 1.1 8v fire engine like yours had just bit slower. Could change the cambelt in 20 mins including water pump. No a/c, no power steering, no cruise control, manual windows and 3 doors. Like you said, no rocket ship but being single point injection and wasted spark, diagnosis was simple.

I loved it for simplicity, put fuel in. Changed oil whenever and that was it
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 15:22   #29
RomanDiesel

Fuel Economy: Best: 4.0 L/100 km. Avg 5.7

I totally agree!
RomanDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 16:36   #30
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Comparing 70s and 80s cars to those of today don't really do a lot of service. A full-size car back then had about the same weight (~3200-3800 lbs) as a modern mid-compact due to all the safety reinforcements and amenities. Physics is physics, and it takes a certain amount of energy to propel a metal box of a given weight at a given speed, no matter the powertrain technology employed. Not to mention that cars of old spewed about 95X more emissions. No thanks, I have no nostalgia for old cars.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote