www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old April 29th, 2017, 04:33   #151
cheezy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: NB-52.6, B4-37 city on 2 yo fuel!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993er View Post
Not a concern. I have a slew of them stashed away.
Amen.

Start collecting some more...

http://www.porscheroadandrace.com/ce...rera-heritage/
cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2017, 09:52   #152
TDI2000Zim
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 0.0 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
The age of engine downsizing is over, says Volkswagen
The trend of making engines smaller is over, says Herbert Diess, Volkswagen's chairman, marking an end to a decade-long development where engine capacity has been reducing leading to the current vogue for 1.0-litre, three-cylinder engines.
"The trend of downsizing is over," he said at the launch of the new updated version of the Golf – VW's most popular car.
"Emissions tend to go up as engines get smaller," he said, referring to the way that small-capacity engines can perform worse in real world Driving Emissions Tests (RDE) due to be introduced in Europe in 2019 as part of the Worldwide Harmonized Light-duty Vehicles Testing Procedure (WLTP).
Diess says VW will continue with its current 1.0-litre, three-cylinder engine for its smaller cars such as the Up and Polo, but it will not be developing smaller petrol engines than that and its diesel units will not be getting smaller than that current 1.6-litre unit, either.
I think that this means that the Environmentalism-driven witch hunt on automobiles is history. No more clown cars for the next 8 years.

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TDI2000Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2017, 13:05   #153
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Where exactly did you get the conclusion that environmental progress is stopping?

It's possible in the US that emissions and fuel economy standards are going to be stopped or be rolled back, but outside of the US, standards are still advancing quite rapidly - possibly more rapidly in Europe, due to standards changing in response to widespread cheating.

All that means is, the new engines are going to have larger displacement, and less turbocharging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:49   #154
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

I saw a news feed last week that said "all new" European diesel were running in the 6X over NOx limit range. I couldn't get to the original news article for better clarification.

Found an article about it: https://www.yahoo.com/news/newest-cl...113000972.html

Last edited by kjclow; May 1st, 2017 at 11:39.
kjclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 07:26   #155
993er
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
The trend of making engines smaller is over...
Maybe, maybe not.

But it is why I snapped up a new 2017 Acura RDX Elite with the 3.5L normally aspirated V6 before Acura brings back the 4 cylinder turbo in their third generation. Their first generation had a 4 cylinder turbo as well.

Not worried about the consumption since I only put 12K kms (7500 miles) a year on my daily driver and consumption (if that matters) is in the ball park of my first generation Honda CR-V that had a 4 cylinder.

A damn nice vehicle, revs as low, has more space and rides far better.

993er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 18:50   #156
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not.

But it is why I snapped up a new 2017 Acura RDX Elite with the 3.5L normally aspirated V6 before Acura brings back the 4 cylinder turbo in their third generation. Their first generation had a 4 cylinder turbo as well.

Not worried about the consumption since I only put 12K kms (7500 miles) a year on my daily driver and consumption (if that matters) is in the ball park of my first generation Honda CR-V that had a 4 cylinder.

A damn nice vehicle, revs as low, has more space and rides far better.
speaking of CR-V's. the new CR-V's upgraded engine is a 1.5L turbo. the standard engine is the carry over 2.4
Old May 14th, 2017, 20:21   #157
993er
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
speaking of CR-V's. the new CR-V's upgraded engine is a 1.5L turbo.
That and the CVT transmission is exactly why I did not even consider one. How long will an over stressed engine last in a car that size?

These damn turbos everyone is going to. Time to buy stock in turbo charger manufacturers.

My 1st gen CR-V had a 2.0 liter. Terrible gas mileage for a small engine and the thing reved at 3000 RPM at 100 KPH (62 MPH). I lived with that for almost 15 years. Good and reliable though.

Love my new Acura RDX.

Old May 14th, 2017, 20:27   #158
tadawson
Veteran Member

I dunno . . . since 1985, I have owned *one* vehicle that was not turbocharged, and have had zero turbo problems (and tend to own cars to high mileage). In my view, it's a rock solid technology that is far suberior to stone age big iron sea anchor-ish blocks. YMMV . . . . me, I'll typically opt of the turboed engine.

- Tim

Last edited by tadawson; May 15th, 2017 at 11:12.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 04:49   #159
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Other than maybe having a little less tolerance to neglect, the smaller displacement turbocharged engines so far have been holding up fine. I've not seen widespread problems with any of them from any manufacturers. And to be fair, most manufacturers have had turbocharged engines for quite some time, or had them in the past. Turbocharging is not exactly "new" technology. I think the only reason it was limited mostly to performance models was due to costs and no need for ever higher CAFE requirements.

I also feel that the engines are designed and built with materials that take into account turbocharging from the onset. Something the older engines did not necessarily have in their favor. Ford's "Nano" 2.7L V6, for instance, was developed to be a direct-injected turbocharged engine from its initial design phase. It was even designed to have a diesel variant, and Ford went so far as to use the same block casting procedure and materials as their 6.7L diesel V8. So unlike the Cyclone V6s, which in Ecoboost form are essentially an older non-turbo design engine with two turbochargers and a DI fuel system added on, the Nano may be in the end less stressed overall despite it being smaller in both displacement and physical size.

Only time will tell for sure, though.
Old May 15th, 2017, 06:00   #160
993er
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Only time will tell for sure, though.
We'll see. I look at long term ownership costs and by that I mean at least 10 years or almost 15 as in the car before my TDI.

Other than a timing belt and water pump replacement, I frown on any engine or transmission that has to be opened up in the life of the car. A turbo is just another expensive replacement part; if it costed $100, I would not care. As for a turbo in my TDI, I accepted having one for the other advantages.

Old May 15th, 2017, 06:55   #161
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

^^if only cars were designed for long term use, but they are designed only to a 125K mileage window, at which point they are assumed to be retired from the road. Planned obsolescence. Winterkorn's oil consumption Audi 2.0's barely make it to 80K, all because of saving a few cents on piston rings.

2011 Touareg TDI 74K Miles (slated for buyback May, 2018)
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:11   #162
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
We'll see. I look at long term ownership costs and by that I mean at least 10 years or almost 15 as in the car before my TDI.

Other than a timing belt and water pump replacement, I frown on any engine or transmission that has to be opened up in the life of the car. A turbo is just another expensive replacement part; if it costed $100, I would not care. As for a turbo in my TDI, I accepted having one for the other advantages.
Pre-CR TDIs at least had much lower exhaust gas temperature than gas engines, which should help turbo longevity, though TDI failures were not unheard of especially on chipped engines.

That said, having driven both the VW 2.5 5-cyl non-turbo, and my current 1.8 TSI, even though output (HP and torque) are nearly the same, the 1.8 turbo is far, far more pleasant to use. Full torque is on tap at 1500 rpm, the engine is much smoother and quieter, and fuel economy is significantly better (at least 1.0 L/100 km on the highway). Given the rust realities here I plan to trade it (or rather sell it to my son) at 5 years/120k km whichever comes first. But so far so good.

I ran the 2.0T in my B6 Passat wagon (6-mt) up to 160k km with no issues other than well-documented high oil consumption which isn't related to the turbo. It was a new undocumented VW feature, semi-self-changing oil

I feel if you drive normally and are rigorous about oil & filter change intervals and use the correct grade of oil, turbos should last a good long time. I have less faith in DPF and HPFP longevity on the CR TDIs than in turbo life, and those components can theoretically cost much more than a turbo to replace, especially the HPFP and required hardware changes post-failure.
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:15   #163
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Of course, these downsized turbo engines will end up sprouting GPFs themselves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:18   #164
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:

Changing the fluid in a manual transmission or automatic transmission is good for long term reliability.

Subaru CVT's, however, are fully sealed. When the fluid goes, it takes out the rest of the transmission and you need a new transmission replacement, which is not cheap.
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:41   #165
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Of course, these downsized turbo engines will end up sprouting GPFs themselves...
Hopefully by then electric car range will be high enough to make them a viable option for me, at least as a second car (I figure I need at least 300 km range at an affordable price- i.e. no Teslas- before I'll consider one).

I like the e-Golf but at 200 km range it just comes up a bit short. At 300 it would be viable as a second car: I can do a round-trip to Montreal (200 km) and have enough juice for some toodling around the city before heading home. Electricity is fairly cheap in Quebec.

Or at 200 km I could do it if my wife didn't require me to pry her cold dead hands off her steering wheel to borrow her car; I'd just use the gasser when I need to go to the city, and leave her the e-car as her commute is only 12 km.
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote