www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old January 31st, 2017, 19:22   #31
VincenzaV
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a tank, worse than a cyclist.

Great! I'll check back tomorrow. Thank you!!!
VincenzaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 05:06   #32
Libang

TDI(s): TDI power :)

Here is my solution .
I use Arduino UNO, 1,3" OLED I2C screen, Bosch MAP sensor from old MSA15 ECU and BMP180 sensor for barometric pressure correction .
Units is in Bar and temp in C

Now I'm waiting for 4Bar MAP .

https://youtu.be/GDPUozaQg88
Libang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 08:03   #33
sam-
Veteran Member

Great, i bet something like this take way more time to develop ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGiy8lNCCcg
sam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 11:14   #34
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing, this is what makes the internet great,
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 14:03   #35
arazvan2002
Veteran Member

3 displays with boost - IAT, EGT- EMP, oil pressure+temp would be awesome. What we need for this kind of project?
This last video is very nice also.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Old February 1st, 2017, 14:40   #36
Hasenwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by arazvan2002 View Post
3 displays with boost - IAT, EGT- EMP, oil pressure+temp would be awesome. What we need for this kind of project?
This last video is very nice also.
Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
I am going to this this setup with my Ford Ranger with a 2001 ALH Installed in it.

The instrument pod has a blank panel that the automatic P N R D 1 2 3 thing is supposed to go into. A 16x2 LED display fits there nicely.

EGT 950 TRB 1.7
IAT 55 OIL 137

There is enough info there to give me what I want - Exhaust temp, Oil Temp, Intake Temp, Turbo boost.

This would be easy work for an Arduino - "051 C" MAP sensor for the Boost and IAT, regular restive oil temp sender and a thermocouple for the EGT.
Hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 19:44   #37
Aknovaman

The nano has sufficient inputs for the 3 analog inputs for boost IAT and oil pressure. The EGT using the max6675 used 3 of the digital inputs. I would have to test simple code to see if there is even enough memory space for all 4 inputs. I prefer the u8g library as it has better looking fonts that are not so block styled. The adafruit library is ok too.

Last edited by Aknovaman; February 2nd, 2017 at 04:19.
Aknovaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 19:14   #38
VincenzaV
Veteran Member

Libang-Is there a DIY anywhere on how to do this for guys not into electronics like you an AKnovaman? It seems this Arduino stuff is a whole new hobby/industry. I'm not trying to get into all of that. I just want to see if I can make my own boost gauge (or EGT, Volt meter, etc.).
Old February 4th, 2017, 19:15   #39
VincenzaV
Veteran Member

Hasenwerk-do you have any pics of the Ranger? I LOVE the ALH swap idea for that! We had a 96' that was basically trouble free for 300K miles until it gave up the ghost. They are amazing little trucks.

Last edited by VincenzaV; February 9th, 2017 at 04:44.
Old February 7th, 2017, 07:31   #40
Hasenwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincenzaV View Post
Hasenwerk-do you have any picks of the Ranger? I LOVE the ALH swap idea for that! We had a 96' that was basically trouble free for 300K miles until it gave up the ghost. They are amazing little trucks.
I have a whole write up about it in the conversion section.
Hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 12:05   #41
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Fuel Economy: CR - 36-41, PD - 39-48 (26-32 while towing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknovaman View Post
If necessary I can write step by step directions on how to set up the software to load the sketch. Just need a few days.

I just used cat-5 cable wires cause they are solid/semi-rigid and free.

Windex, Here is a link to the wiring connections.

https://youtu.be/x6wSGZ9bYPk
That definitely means one of us will have to come up with a suitable enclosure, because too many bends and Cat5 solid copper strands will eventually snap, or get weak anyways.
2010 Jetta Sportwagen - Malone DSG tune, Malone Stage 3.5, CR170, buzzken 3" straight pipe(resonator deleted), PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front and rear fogs, Bosal towhitch, Bilstein B8/Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, 2micron CP3 upgrade kit
2004 Golf GLS 5MT -
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mom's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (mom's car) - stock for now...

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Ford 3400 Industrial tractor
2016 Mahindra XTV (1L Kohler diesel)
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 12:06   #42
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post
Thanks for sharing, this is what makes the internet great,
No - this is what makes TDIclub great, and why I'm proud of being part of this community!
2010 Jetta Sportwagen - Malone DSG tune, Malone Stage 3.5, CR170, buzzken 3" straight pipe(resonator deleted), PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front and rear fogs, Bosal towhitch, Bilstein B8/Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, 2micron CP3 upgrade kit
2004 Golf GLS 5MT -
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mom's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Old February 8th, 2017, 12:30   #43
Aknovaman

Wink

I can make it with any wire even a dead mouse cable. I just had some cat 5 laying around so I used it. All part of being a cheap SOB.

One guy was just going to use a generic pillar pod and put some tinted plastic over the hold with the OLED glued to the backside. I have some large heat shrink tubing that can go around the ARD circuit card.

Last edited by Aknovaman; February 8th, 2017 at 12:33.
Old February 8th, 2017, 17:47   #44
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknovaman View Post
I can make it with any wire even a dead mouse cable. I just had some cat 5 laying around so I used it. All part of being a cheap SOB.
No offense, but yeah - given the prices you quoted are for the parts coming from China directly. But I think all of us can be like that, depending on what it is. Like me - I'd love Matco tools, but I settle for Harbor Freight, because it's cheap.

Quote:

One guy was just going to use a generic pillar pod and put some tinted plastic over the hold with the OLED glued to the backside. I have some large heat shrink tubing that can go around the ARD circuit card.
I ended up ordering this stuff today on ebay. Are there better thermocouples we can get, or those with longer leads, to get through the firewall? I don't have the first idea on what's a good thermocouple or not.

For the OLED, I ordered one white and one blue/yellow. I presume either will work?
2004 Golf GLS 5MT -

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Old February 8th, 2017, 19:08   #45
Aknovaman

There are other options available rather than spending hundreds on a commercial EGT display. What I have shown here is a good option for some of us not having a large budget. Any of the displays will work but keep in mind if you use the 1.3 inch oled, the code needs changed to specify the correct driver chip. The color is not important but I did now ant. Yellow stripe across the top of my display. It cannot be removed, if you bought that model. I prefer the all blue version if using a clear faceplate. The white ones work well behind tinted faceplates.
eBay sells thicker thermocouples. Search for 5mm k type. I ordered several of these and will use one on my TDI.