Going back in time, or how I am re-living my youth! (1971 Beetle)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Some of you know I have been "around" the Forums for nearly 10 years and have acquired and driven a good number of VW diesels spanning three model generations.

I recently turned in a 2014 Passat to VW under Dieselgate that I bought from our good friend Chris in NJ just before he passed. The reason I turned it in was I retired last year and just don't drive it much anymore. I also have a 2003 Jetta TDI with 306,000 miles on it that was a resurrection project last year and I can't part with the thing. We also have a Hyundai Santa Fe that my wife drives. But neither of us really drive "a lot" anymore so the cars are gathering dust. Our big trip last year was to the 2016 TDI Fest in Wisconsin and we also stopped on the way back to visit family. That was 3,000 miles. But most of our driving is local now and that doesn't warrant a late model TDI sedan or wagon.

Just last December, I fell into the purchase of a 1971 Super Beetle that was in a trust of a deceased friend's father-in-law. It was the last asset to sell and I picked it up for the tidy sum of $1,000. The car has been sitting for a year in the hot Texas sun and doesn't currently run. It's history is unknown except that the last two registrations were in Texas and I assume it has been in these parts it's whole life.

Condition-wise, she has had a partial (?) refurbishment and many repairs and replacement parts. There is some new sheet metal behind the engine (firewall) that still has the shipping sticker on it, and it's unpainted. So someone has had the body off this car at one time not too long ago. The car has new seat cover, new carpets, what looks like a new or rebuilt transaxle and hs been totally repainted. That all sounds good, but it doesn't run and 1/2 the lights are not working.

The car was towed to my garage the other day and I am ready to dig into it and "bring it back to life". I am not planning a "rotisserie" rehab or anything like that, although many people do just that and pour $thousands$ into these Bugs. My goal is to get it all sorted out and then drive it (sometimes).

So this is where we start this thread. Please feel free to comment and suggest things, etc. I do have the Bentley manual for this Bug.

Trailing home:

In the garage:

The first thing to address: The hornet's nest of wiring (no computers or circuit boards here)

She's not running but I did get it to fire!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Ha! This brings back memories. I inherited my mom's '72 red bug late in High School days. I remember skimming it like a flat rock across a river ford numerous times with friends (that flat bottom, rear engine weighted body kept it bouncing across!). It just ran and ran for years. She got an orange Thing! No kidding, so it's not like she had given up on the air cooled boxer four. It was a convertible tank. It was easy to spot in traffic.

I also had a '69 a few years later. The emissions controls were simpler, and it got better mileage.

You may need to pull the wiring harness out, check it and re-install the thing. Our Red bug got a shorting problem after someone pulled out in front of me and the front end got damaged. We fixed it, but could never find the bare wire. It needed a charge periodically after that.

If lucky, an ohm meter will suffice to track down the wiring problems to get the lights working again. Have fun!

By the way... after an Uber driver took me out just before Thanksgiving (and totaled my 2014 JSW TDI), I found an '03 ALH wagon in good shape, but needs a new engine. I DO like a project!

NOTE: The Wolfsburg ALH wagon smells like my old VW Bug smelled. I think it is the seat cushions. Distinct aroma caused me to instantly link the TDI with my old BUG!! Wow.

Last edited:

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
You know VW built a diesel prototype of the beetle in the 50's?

This brings back memories for me as I have probably worked on a thousand of those in my long career. Wiring issues were often self induced by stereo and other installations, or just plain unfamiliarity with the breed.

That one has the look of nearly all of them I see anymore. Take your time and put it all back to stock form and don't overdo it by any means. I have seen many restoration projects on them where someone has taken the thing all apart and lost half the fasteners and forgotten how to put them back together. Do small projects one at a time completing each one is my best advice.

I can show off my baby here too, 68 beetle survivor car I found. Purchased from original owner 69,000 miles. Garaged much of it's life.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
pdq, nice looking Beetle. On the wiring issues, you can't see it because the white flex hose is in the way, but the "add on" horn button power wire stripped end is twisted onto a hot lead spade on the fuse box and held on the spade with a spring type wooden CLOTHESPIN. :eek:

Yes, the key will be doing one project at a time and I don't plan on pulling off the body or anything as drastic as that. Right now, the new battery that was in the car is being charged and I have read several threads over at The Samba where a wealth of knowledge on these Bugs exists.

First order of business is wiring and lights, plus pull out the aftermarket radio and then find out what some of the unattached wires go. Also, that ugly looking thing in front of the wiring mess is the defrost blower.

More later.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Thanks, I have been looking for years for just such a find, and I am in a position where I might encounter them more than most and yet it has taken 20 years to stumble on one I could or would afford. And no, I am not going to put a common rail in this one.

Samba is a wonderful source.

Here is how it is supposed to look under the hood. This picture was taken right after I towed it home and opened the hood for the first time. Since then I have cleaned it up a little and gotten a matching spare to the car.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Didn't someone here put a CR in one recently?:D

Thanks for the view of the wiring cover. I'll have to buy one and also the trunk cover.

This 1971 Beetle is a "1302" designation right when VW elected to build the Super Beetle. This is a one off transition model as it has the flat laying spare (unlike yours), flat dash and flat windshield like yours . It also has the 1600 CC engine. The later Super Beetles had the curved windshield and larger padded dash.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I don't know who would be crazy enough to put a CR in a beetle chassis. :eek:

I have mocked up a 76 with a mechanical pump diesel engine and it would fit and the hood would shut if a person made a bump that kinda followed the shape of the license plate light. I figure you could mount the plate on the bump to hide it somewhat. Or a 2" body lift might just work instead.

I remember the first of the flat window supers, they were about the pinnacle of the beetle development in my opinion. Everything worked well, still good seats, highest stock horsepower, etc. If only they didn't have the rust vents on the rear side pillars.

They look so much better with the wire covers and liners. Hopefully someone still has them available.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I don't know who would be crazy enough to put a CR in a beetle chassis. :eek:

I have mocked up a 76 with a mechanical pump diesel engine and it would fit and the hood would shut if a person made a bump that kinda followed the shape of the license plate light. I figure you could mount the plate on the bump to hide it somewhat. Or a 2" body lift might just work instead.

I remember the first of the flat window supers, they were about the pinnacle of the beetle development in my opinion. Everything worked well, still good seats, highest stock horsepower, etc. If only they didn't have the rust vents on the rear side pillars.

They look so much better with the wire covers and liners. Hopefully someone still has them available.
Speaking of parts, I was looking at the usual crowd of online vendors for a rear tail light bulb holder panel as one of mine is cobbled together and literally junk. I could find tons of lenses but no entire tail light assembly or just the bulb holder. I could find entire tail light assemblies for standard Beetles, but not Supers. I may have to find a used tail light or just fabricate a bulb holder out of sheet metal.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
..............a 1970 Type 1 - with the spare tire psi for the windshield washer - was my grad school buddy.

Calc'd 41 MPG SF to state capitol one time (the #3 exhaust valve finally got me - - - - my bad for being lazy with the .006 feeler gauge...................

Thanks for the memories (B. Hope)

ez

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Did some troubleshooting today as some of the lights don't work. When checking a ground, I saw a spark??? Took my circuit test light and saw that ground was alive!!:eek: ***??

Checked the battery and saw that the seller put the new battery in backwards! Positive lead to ground!! So I reversed it and then things got somewhat better. Started the car (Ignition switch actually worked when power was applied to the right contact) and ran it for a few seconds, then it shut down. Also started to smell something burning.....smoke was coming out of the voltage regulator. :eek: Shut it off for the night and took battery cable off.

I do have a new regulator and will change it out tomorrow as I have the battery on trickle charge for the night. I also need to verify the generator was not fried.

Well, I said I wanted a winter project.:D

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I have seen backwards battery generator cars come in running, usually they charged the battery backwards by mistake.

Had a 190 Mercedes come in after long storage with a no start. Battery was charged backwards. Killed it an recharged it and all survived but the radio.

Take off your generator belt, unhook the wires, hook 12v to the armature post ( I just use the carb solenoid power), ground the field post ( I usually use a test light in case of short) the generator will run as a motor if ok. Might have to give it a spin to start it motoring if using the test light, but it will run if ok.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I have seen backwards battery generator cars come in running, usually they charged the battery backwards by mistake.

Had a 190 Mercedes come in after long storage with a no start. Battery was charged backwards. Killed it an recharged it and all survived but the radio.

Take off your generator belt, unhook the wires, hook 12v to the armature post ( I just use the carb solenoid power), ground the field post ( I usually use a test light in case of short) the generator will run as a motor if ok. Might have to give it a spin to start it motoring if using the test light, but it will run if ok.
Thanks for the tips. I replaced the voltage regulator with a new Bosch solid state one and also polarized the generator successfully. Those old generators must be pretty tough as it survived the ordeal and smoke was coming out of it when the battery was in backwards.

I got it all sorted out and the ignition switch is still not working so I jumpered the starter solenoid with the key on and got it to start. The battery is charging like it should and nothing is getting hot.

It needs a valve adjustment badly and probably points and plugs. I did move it around a bit and the clutch catches near the top of the pedal travel. So the clutch is either shot or needs to be adjusted.

More to do, but a good day on it.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Tony, that thing looks pretty good in that first pic. Good luck on your new project.

Sincerely,
dweisel
Thanks, it's dirty as all get out. Hasn't been washed in a year or more. It's a 10 footer for sure. It originally was orange. Like my 2003, I'll work on one thing at a time with the goal of getting it into a good daily driver.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Another fun project for you, Tony.

No start because the battery was in backards. Epic.

Have fun with that thing.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Awesome! I cut my teeth on the air cooled stuff, and still own one (a '79 Bus). I've worked on, owned, restored, raced, fixed, tinkered with, modified, and loved more of them than I could possibly count. Looks like that one was originally Clementine Orange (silver was not available any Volkswagen sold here in 1971 save for the 411). But it looks good!

Supers are the "shakers", they have little tolerance for anything at all out of whack in the front suspension and steering, especially the early ones. Things like the steering box, steering shaft u-joints, idler arm, tie rods, ball joints, springs, struts, strut mounts, control arm bushings, and especially tire/wheel balance and trueness are very important.

When they are all sorted, they do drive and ride nicer than the standard Beetle for sure, but they are fragile and lots of people "gave up" on the Supers for this very reason. Which is sad, because they sold more Supers here when they came out in '71 than they did the standard Beetles, and the Supers continued to outsell standards I think through '73, maybe even '74. So lots of them were perfectly good cars that got harvested for parts and crushed. :( Been a bit of a resurgence in recent years likely because there are just not many of ANY types of the old Beetles left to fix up here, most are spoken for, and as of yet there has been no flood of Brazil or Mexico built versions coming in (which are all standard based).

Good luck with your project, let me know if you need any help. I know those cars well. :)

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Thanks, it's dirty as all get out. Hasn't been washed in a year or more. It's a 10 footer for sure. It originally was orange. Like my 2003, I'll work on one thing at a time with the goal of getting it into a good daily driver.
I get down to your place to pick up that 02 Beetle and once I get it running. Or if I get it running. I'll give your 71 a dweisel detail job. LOL. I enjoy making them look better.

See you soon.
dweisel

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I get down to your place to pick up that 02 Beetle and once I get it running. Or if I get it running. I'll give your 71 a dweisel detail job. LOL. I enjoy making them look better.
See you soon.
dweisel
Thanks, but I will wash it before then as I can't stand the grime on it. But no wax or anything like that yet.

I made some progress today and determined the ignition switch was gone. I temporarily installed a momentary push button for starting and also installed a "hard start relay" in the high amperage starter circuit to carry the load of the starter when the push button is energized.

Tomorrow I plan to jack up the rear end and adjust the valves and replace the valve cover gaskets that are spewing oil. I may also wash the Bug.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Ordered parts

Well, my first order consists of a lot of little things missing or broken:

VW Ignition Switch, Electrical Assembly, $19.95
VW Sun Visors Clips, Pair, White, Late Style $4.00
VW Fuse Box Cover, 12 Fuse, $9.95
VW Wiper Blade, Bosch, 11 Inches (2), $17.90
Shift Pattern Gear Shift Knobs, Black Vinyl $18.95
VW Braided Battery Ground Strap (Negative) $13.95
VW Battery Terminal Cover, Positive $5.95
VW Valve Cover Gaskets, Cork, Pair $2.95
VW Battery Hold Down Clamp Plate, $9.95

Shipping: Shipping: $0

Sales Tax: $0

Total: $103.55

All these goodies for just over a hundred! :cool:

Last edited:

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
It is great how much stuff is available and the prices can be dirt cheap. Sometimes the parts are not even worth that as the chinese have invaded bugland too.

I have gotten parts for mine and just refused to put them on, like a running board recently, pops to mind. Also a muffler, I bought the expensive brand from a name I used to trust and it doesn't fit the rear tin worth a crap, I did put it on as the other was rusted badly.

It was great when the beetle was still being produced in Brazil and Mexico, you could get factory quality parts because they were.

I have friend who works at the VW dealer as a parts man, has all his life in fact, who has restored a Ghia and a beetle both. He hits swap meets and scours the world for secret stashes of parts hidden in someone's garage for years. I have found 2 of those stashes my self over the years and they are a treasure trove sometimes.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
It is great how much stuff is available and the prices can be dirt cheap. Sometimes the parts are not even worth that as the chinese have invaded bugland too.

I have gotten parts for mine and just refused to put them on, like a running board recently, pops to mind. Also a muffler, I bought the expensive brand from a name I used to trust and it doesn't fit the rear tin worth a crap, I did put it on as the other was rusted badly.

It was great when the beetle was still being produced in Brazil and Mexico, you could get factory quality parts because they were.

I have friend who works at the VW dealer as a parts man, has all his life in fact, who has restored a Ghia and a beetle both. He hits swap meets and scours the world for secret stashes of parts hidden in someone's garage for years. I have found 2 of those stashes my self over the years and they are a treasure trove sometimes.
I understand about the Chinese invasion of auto parts (universally) and there is a huge thread on the Samba that is populated by member's experiences buying and trying to use the aftermarket junk. I'm glad this Beetle still has a lot of what looks like original parts on it, although I may need to replace the right rear fender. I'll know that once I get all the cracked Bondo off of it and pull off the messed up tail light.

I'm probably going to have to rebuild the engine and will be faced with obtaining new tins, a muffler and maybe heat exchangers (if bad). Maybe some other non-engine related pars too. UGH!

Most of the stuff I just ordered from Jbugs is just routine things, although I know the ignition switch will be Class A junk. Now that I have the starter relay installed, at least the high amperage pull will go through the relay instead of the Chinese ignition switch so it may last longer. If not, I'll go back to the push button for starting the engine.

iadubber

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
Nice! Here's a pic of my 70. It had a crunched front end so I put on an early front clip. I have the front bumper too, it was just off when I took this pic. I had just installed front air setup. I'm bagging the rear now with the Airkewld kit.

IMG_6165 by Chad Harwick, on Flickr

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Jbugs has been pretty good overall. Just be wary is my best advice. Wolfsburg West seems to have good stuff but at a price.

They had the drain nipple for the pan that I couldn't find anywhere else. Most guys don't even know such an animal exists and just assumes the drain hole in the pan is open.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I couldn't stand to work on a filthy car so I washed the Beetle:

It's a 10 footer for sure, and the bumpers have a lot of surface rust. The chromed VW wheels have some surface rust but not something I can't clean up. The body work done on the hood is marginal and some spots of rust under the Bondo'd areas are leeching through.