www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 25th, 2017, 17:17   #46
specialed1995

I finally got a chance to take some pictures of the engine and wiring harness today:

specialed1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 17:17   #47
specialed1995

More pics:

I have also found the drive belt setup I will use thanks to user jimbote. It will allow me to delete the power steering and the V-belt while retaining the AC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post

here's the serpentine setup i came up with for my van

ALH crank pulley, spaced out ~3mm, ALH 120a alternator, VR6 WP pulley (spaced properly), 1.6 d t belt tensioner via custom bracket held on by lower alt bolt ... stock accessory bracket modified by removal of tensioner and cutting off boss ... can't recall the belt number but it is NOT a common belt, seems like it was for a cobalt w/o AC ?

Custom Bracket:
can't remember the details but it's basically a chunk of aluminum machined with a step and two bolt holes, one counterbored for an allen alt mount bolt and the other threaded for the 10mm tensioner bolt... plans include making a new stepped bracket that spans both alternator bolt holes...

also the ALH balancer and alternator are not neccesary but do provide a good underdrive on both components and the ALH crank pulley is much more reliable

I still haven't sat down and figured out the logistics of combining the VW AC compressor with the rest of the Saturn AC system, but the AC compressors on both engines are in pretty much the same place, so I can probably just make some adapter lines to connect the VW compressor to the Saturn high and low side lines and leave the rest of the system intact. I would just have to combine the wiring for the low pressure switch, high temp switch and AC button.

Last edited by specialed1995; February 26th, 2017 at 16:16.
Old February 26th, 2017, 11:32   #48
specialed1995

Default More Parts Ordered

Here are some part numbers for the things I've recently purchased for this swap. I plan on providing a complete list of parts and part numbers so that anyone else can do this conversion and not have to search around and figure out every part (like I did):

ALH Crank Pulley - Part # 038105243
VR6 Water Pump Pulley - Part # 021121031D
1.6 IDI Timing Belt Tensioner - Part # T41080
Ecotech Belt w/o AC - Part # 12634322

Old February 26th, 2017, 20:42   #49
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

a little hint on spacing out the ALH pulley: just pop the factory metal spacer from the back of your AHU balancer and use that ... i think i removed the two locating tabs but otherwise it was perfect .... belt number i used was a 6PK1445 bando ... hope this helps
Old February 26th, 2017, 21:11   #50
specialed1995

Quote:
a little hint on spacing out the ALH pulley: just pop the factory metal spacer from the back of your AHU balancer and use that ... i think i removed the two locating tabs but otherwise it was perfect .... belt number i used was a 6PK1445 bando ... hope this helps
Thanks again jimbote!!!! Any advice you can give me is very appreciated!!! What did you do about the spacers for the water pump pulley?

Last edited by specialed1995; February 26th, 2017 at 22:00.
Old February 27th, 2017, 03:12   #51
jimbote

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialed1995 View Post
Thanks again jimbote!!!! Any advice you can give me is very appreciated!!! What did you do about the spacers for the water pump pulley?
i used six 5/16" washers, but you might cut the center from an ALH PS pulley and get close ...another alternative is to remove the water pump and press the hub on the shaft to achieve the desired height
Old February 27th, 2017, 18:18   #52
specialed1995

Quote:
i used six 5/16" washers, but you might cut the center from an ALH PS pulley and get close ...another alternative is to remove the water pump and press the hub on the shaft to achieve the desired height
Six washers sounds good enough for me !!! The easier the better. Now all I'll have to do is make up the bracket to bolt the tensioner in place and everything should work perfectly.
Old March 11th, 2017, 18:46   #53
specialed1995

Default Alternator Ordered

Today I ordered an ALH 120A alternator from Autozone (Part# DLG12048) for this project, so I'm one step closer to getting the engine completed. Here are the pictures from Autozone's website:

The bolts for it were missing on my engine, so if any of you guys out there know the bolt part number/thread pitch and size that would be very helpful!!! Thank you to all the people who are enjoying the progress of this conversion as much as I am, as well as for all the help and guidance I've received on this site!!!

Last edited by specialed1995; March 11th, 2017 at 18:49.
Old March 12th, 2017, 07:33   #54
jimbote

just measure across the mounting tabs for the correct bolt length but keep in mind one will be longer to hold the drop down tensioner bracket in place
Old March 12th, 2017, 11:16   #55
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

Here ya go - all the specific bolts, which are available from the dealership generally speaking:

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single...3696708/lang/e

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
Old March 15th, 2017, 19:52   #56
specialed1995

I removed the power steering pump and the front and side mounting brackets yesterday and the upper bolt on the front bracket (to the left of the balancer) snapped off at the head. Hopefully I can just soak it in penetrating oil for a few days and break it loose with a pair of vice grips, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it later.
Old March 16th, 2017, 02:11   #57
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

I love Saturn's, but I like them for what they are. My sl1 gets like 40 mpgs, and my sw2 is a fun cruiser. Epic good job on taking on this project head on. I vaguely remember this thread from sixthsphere...
Old March 16th, 2017, 18:23   #58
specialed1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarbulo View Post
I love Saturn's, but I like them for what they are. My sl1 gets like 40 mpgs, and my sw2 is a fun cruiser. Epic good job on taking on this project head on. I vaguely remember this thread from sixthsphere...
I do love my 2002 SL and plan on keeping it all original as I also love Saturns just the way they came stock. I just really enjoy the challenge and skill it takes to tackle a project like this. Plus, having a one of a kind vehicle that you built and is the only one of its kind on the road is also really awesome.
Old April 10th, 2017, 17:54   #59
specialed1995

Default April Update

No further progress has been made on the TDI conversion since I last posted on here. With the weather warming up most of my spare time has been occupied with house and yard work, so I really haven't had a chance to work on it.

I did purchase the alternator for the engine so I could get the belt routing and mounting all figured out, but when it came in the mail it was damaged, and I haven't had a chance to take it back to Autozone and exchange it. I didn't want to go this long without posting an update, and I wanted to let everyone know that has followed this project that I haven't given up or dropped off the face of the earth, I'm still here and still eager to see this swap to fruition.
Old August 9th, 2017, 15:04   #60
specialed1995

Sorry it has been so long since this thread was updated, going through some life changes at the moment and this project has been put on hold for the time being. Still have all the parts as before, just haven't purchased anything new for awhile.

Need to take a day and go through the wiring harness and label everything like I've been planning to do for the last several months, but I'm still very interested in seeing this project through to completion. Can't afford to spend the money on it right now, so I need to go through and do what I can with what I have.

Just wanted everyone who's interested to know that I haven't forgotten about this project or given up on it, life has just gotten in the way like it sometimes does.