www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Closed Thread

Old November 23rd, 2016, 16:13   #16
diesel4ever
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.2/4.8/5.5

It's going to be interesting to see the values of pre-common rail cars in coming days.
I wonder if it's the same thing in Canada, 'no more VW diesels'.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 17:16   #17
Chrismak
Veteran Member

Wow, I just got this from my son on VW pulling out of US market on diesels.

My first though was the re sale value of these lower mileage diesels just increased a minimum of 15%.
Anyone who is a die hard diesel fan and in the market for a reasonably priced commuter car has very few options .
Admittedly BMW are in the market along with MB, but that market shuts out a number of entry level deplorable's... myself included :-)

Audi have the A3 platform . Basically a VW . Not sure if they were impacted.

I sold my converted 5 speed Passat last year at 285k miles and switched to MB.

Got a deal on low mileage 2008 V6 Bluetec for wifey and I commute in a 1998 e300 Turbodiesel.

Anyways too bad this transpired. I'm not going to get into pissing match on emmissions but the newer diesels in Europe are getting 60 plus MPG.
Admittedly that's the imperial gallon slightly bigger.

Takeaway ..... your diesel VW just got more valuable.
My two pennies.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and safe motoring to all travelers .
Old November 23rd, 2016, 18:16   #18
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBarlow View Post
Sad news. We've lost the best cars VW produced due to unrealistic demands by our government.
I beg to differ: Other car makers are able to meet the legal emission requirements in the U.S. VW's problem is they got caught breaking the law and are now covered with TAR. So they are trying to run away from their problem and claim a "new" Clean image.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 18:22   #19
HBarlow
Veteran Member

If other car makers are able to meet the legal emission requirements as you claim why did they suddenly decide to exit the US market?

If their cars met standards and VW diesels were removed from the market BMW and MB should have been able to expand their diesel sales significantly.
2016 Audi Q5 TDI
2009 VW JSW TDI (awaiting buy back)
Old November 23rd, 2016, 18:33   #20
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Heres to keeping mine on the road for the next couple decades.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 20:04   #21
autdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBarlow View Post
If other car makers are able to meet the legal emission requirements as you claim why did they suddenly decide to exit the US market?

If their cars met standards and VW diesels were removed from the market BMW and MB should have been able to expand their diesel sales significantly.
Except you can't touch a new BMW diesel south of $40,000, a price you could nearly get 2 VW diesels for, and you can't even get a MB anymore, but they were north of 40-50k as well when they were here.

You could get a 25k cruze, and it felt every bit of the 10k car it was.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 21:46   #22
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Perhaps it will result in one of the Japanese manufactures to import or build their diesels in the USA. But, given what the US government did to VW, I doubt it.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 22:24   #23
NYC-TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S. View Post
Perhaps it will result in one of the Japanese manufactures to import or build their diesels in the USA. But, given what the US government did to VW, I doubt it.
You mean what VW did to themselves.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 22:29   #24
slfranke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Golf
Fuel Economy: Depends... 40-48

Time for Mazda to shine.
Old November 24th, 2016, 03:56   #25
HBarlow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autdi View Post
Except you can't touch a new BMW diesel south of $40,000, a price you could nearly get 2 VW diesels for, and you can't even get a MB anymore, but they were north of 40-50k as well when they were here.

You could get a 25k cruze, and it felt every bit of the 10k car it was.
No argument from me here. MB's and BMW's prices are not for everyone and their routine maintenance expenses are legendary.

Agree also with the value of a Cruze.

The VW TDI was everyman's turbo diesel automobile. It's the "people's car" to quote the infamous German dictator.
2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Old November 24th, 2016, 03:59   #26
HBarlow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes, no question about it. But VW's TDIs got in the way of our soon to be departed "leader's" preference for electric golf carts.
2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Old November 24th, 2016, 04:15   #27
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnaylor View Post
VW diesels will soon be relegated to the dust bin of history. As I presume this place will be too.

If this board didn't go out of its way to limit talk and sharing of info on the biggest thing ever about VW and diesels - diesel gate and what VW was doing about it, it sure looked that way.

As someone who bought his first VW diesel in 1982 and has one sitting out front today, I hate losing what was a pretty good vehicle. But, when you intentionally cheat govt regs and get caught, its gonna cost you. I said the day the story broke "that's it for VW diesels in this country." And it was.
Welcome to Pennocks Fiero Forum. Choices and consequences and I am not just talking about what VW did ........
When interviewed about why no diesel for the new F150, Ford responded to effect that diesel makes no sense in the 1/2 ton market. That brilliance should be repeated in every Ram 1500 eco-diesel commercial.

OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
Old November 24th, 2016, 06:44   #28
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2014- 1168km per tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by slfranke View Post
Time for Mazda to shine.
Drove mazda diesel in Germany. They are a disappointment. The 2.2 had a very flat power curve and horrible drive. Wouldn't hold my breath
Old November 24th, 2016, 07:06   #29
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Heres to keeping mine on the road for the next couple decades.
I second that. I figure I easily have another 300K miles available to me on my two ALHs. And another 100K in the B4 if I want. And then there's the Mercedes, which if I don't let it rust will probably outlast all of them.

I had a Rabbit Diesel back in the late 70s when no one knew what a small diesel car was. May be back in that world again in a few years.
Old November 24th, 2016, 09:09   #30
SkiRep

So has VW announced a strategy for dealing with the 12,000 unsold units sitting on dealer lots? A sophisticated fix needed to get through CARB regulations appears unlikely. Will VW ship them to China or Bolivia or perhaps roll them off a cliff?
Closed Thread