No Ignition. Bad Relay?

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
My 2012 SEL TDI has no ignition. When I get in the car with my KESSY, I push the start button and nothing happens. No lights on dash, nothing. I've checked all fuses inside the car and under the hood. I put in a new battery in the car and a new battery in the remote. I did a code reset. What could be keeping the start circuit/ignition from coming alive? Is there a relay that could have failed? Has anyone else had this problem? I need to get this car running so I can turn it in for the buyback....

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Start with a VCDS scan. After seeing what faults are stored, you could go into the Kessy module and see if it sees the button being pressed.

-J

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
No, it doesn't for just this reason. Hold the brake pedal for 30 seconds. That will wake the body module and CAN gateway up. You can then connect to the BCM :)

-J

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
Hadn't thought of that. How should I go about checking it??
comes straight off the battery to the strut enclosure i think. one time i pulled up to the gas pump in my old Pontiac. got back in after pumping and absolutely nothing. no lights, no door chime, no ignition.... got out and checked the relatively new battery and everything looked good at the battery terminals followed the black ground wire down to the frame and wiggled it and boom..lights came on and door chime started and car was back to normal.
Electricity is magic to me.

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I was told that there is a device in the steering column (near where the key would be on a non-SEL car) that controls the dash electronics, stating, column lock, etc. Does anyone know anything about this part?
I was told that there is a device in the steering column that controls the dash electronics, starting etc. This is in the area where the key would go on a non-SEL. Anyone know anything about this??

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
There's a small indentation where the key hole would normally be. Hold the key fob up to it. If nothing is coming on when you press the start button it won't help. You should get power even when the key isn't near the car. The MFD would display a message stating that the key is not in range. Go on Facebook and search for The Humble Mechanic. Charles should be able to help you if you send him a message.

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Sounds like that the Body Control Module could be the problem and the first step would be to check the connections to the BCM. Do you know where I should look for the BCM 2012?

Thanks a lot for all the help received from the forum. This car is scheduled for return to VW on 12/7 and I've got to get it running (hopefully for minimum dollars!)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
You could get one off of eBay. I found one a while back. If you can't find one and yours ends up needing replaced send me a PM. But like I keep repeating, start with a fault code scan....

-J

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I tried to hold down the brake for 30+ seconds but the BCM failed to wake up. Any other suggestion for getting VCDS hooked up?

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
I had a similar situation, I was new to VCDS, and programmed out Terminal 15,
(terminal 15 when selected as installed, is activated when the start button is pressed on, did you perhaps change it to NOT installed in the adaptation ?

Terminal 15 is under the dash, and can be bypassed, thus enabling the switched auxiliary components, so you can go back in with VCDS and program it as INSTALLED.( I selected as NOT Installed, that is when everything went dark)

VCDS port is such auxiliary that needs to get 12V to activate.

If you have not played around with the adaptation as I did, then you may simply have a bad relay, fuse and/or wiring path.

I came to this conclusion after the dealer repaired the problem, and I have since learned a little more about the complexity of VW, and the meanings of Terminal 15= switched 12V,Terminal 30= always hot and 50=ground.

I posted on this forum asking for help in locating and identifying this relay, without success.

I hope this gives you something to go on.

cheers//sam

edit: I think I made a mistake on the ground terminal, it should be terminal 31.

Last edited:

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I was able to get access to a VAG-COM but had no success because the VCDS needs the ignition to turn on before it can work. I had 12V power, but no ignition. Any ideas on how I can get the ignition to come on? Is there a relay that handles the ignition? I checked all the fuses and they are all are good.

I have until 12/7 to get this thing running so I can turn it in to VW. I'm trying not to throw away hundreds just to get it started.....

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Like I said, you hold the brake pedal.

Have you tried taking the battery terminals off, holding them together for a minute, then hooking them back up to the battery?

-J

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Since the OBD II port does not work, I wonder if this is covered under the California emissions warranty? They'd have to get the car running to fix it.....