www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old October 12th, 2016, 10:48   #31
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Ditto. CARB has been trying to ban ICE vehicles in favor of electric for over 20 some years and hasn't been able to get a mainstream, affordable one yet. For an EVs to fully replace the ICE passenger vehicles, they need to do the following:

1. Drive an absolute minimum of 300 miles on a full charge;
2. Recharge to 100% in less than 10 minutes, preferably 5;
3. Cost no more than $25,000;
4. Come in ALL sizes from sub-compacts to luxury sedans, pickups, vans, SUVs, sports cars, motorcycles, etc.

All that said however, if ANYBODY can do the above, it'd be the Germans.
All good points, but don't forget how important the infrastructure would be to handle mass sales of all these EV's. Infrastructure, and power generation capabilities. In order for EV's to become mainstream, there's going to have to be charging stations everywhere....and I mean EVERYWHERE to the point we're all tripping over them.

Honda gave the Civic GX a pretty good go...many years, and in the end they gave up due to lack of infrastructure. The cars, even if loved by all are no good to anybody without convenient places to fill their tanks (errr...batteries?).
Rembrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 11:05   #32
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
All good points, but don't forget how important the infrastructure would be to handle mass sales of all these EV's. Infrastructure, and power generation capabilities. In order for EV's to become mainstream, there's going to have to be charging stations everywhere....and I mean EVERYWHERE to the point we're all tripping over them.

Honda gave the Civic GX a pretty good go...many years, and in the end they gave up due to lack of infrastructure. The cars, even if loved by all are no good to anybody without convenient places to fill their tanks (errr...batteries?).

Good points, Rembrant. So good in fact that I added a link to your post as requirement #5!

Maybe if every gasoline station replaced at least one GASOLINE pump with a charging station...

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)

Last edited by romad; October 12th, 2016 at 11:08.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 16:31   #33
rwolff
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None yet
Fuel Economy: 35 MPG gas/6 MPG diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
California tried ramming EVs down their residents' throats a few years back.
Some would say that a different, lower, orifice was involved.
2004 Western Star 4900 EX with Series 60 Detroit
rwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 21:46   #34
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta SS View Post
I'd be surprised if this regime survives to implement that anyway. They've got bigger problems than IC engines.
I would tend to agree with this. Despite the fact that the Bundesrat has no power and this is basically a symbolic move which will likely be shelved as Germany now undertakes to correct their immigration problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donDavide View Post
Lunacy, just pure lunacy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macradiators.com View Post
clearly a joke. never gonna happen anytime soon.
The thing to watch for here is that these are trial balloons that are put out there to see how the public will react, and right now Germany is the current conduit for these 'climate change' initiatives. It's similar to all the trial balloons we're getting from the EU and the US from 'alleged' experts about why we have to ban cash in favor of electronic transactions.

These calls from experts will continue to come until either the public puts the nonsense to rest or our representatives in DC decide that they need to do it and ban cash. It's akin to the banning of gold during the depression, they did it to fleece the population and dramatically devalue the dollar in one swoop.

At this point it's something to keep an eye on, you know someone in the political system here will start to talk about the need to ban ICE vehicles in the US. That's the time to worry.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 09:11   #35
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
(edit)
These calls from experts will continue to come until either the public puts the nonsense to rest or our representatives in DC decide that they need to do it and ban cash.(edit)
The nonsense will be put to rest in about 11 days...
Old October 30th, 2016, 09:08   #36
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

everyone forgets about hydrogen internal combustion- its a real thing with zero emissions
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 12:17   #37
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
everyone forgets about hydrogen internal combustion- its a real thing with zero emissions
No, it's not, and it's an even poorer idea (less efficient) than using hydrogen in fuel cells.

Hydrogen used in an internal combustion engine is still subject to production of NOx as a result of high combustion temperature. Hydrogen has an even higher combustion temperature than most hydrocarbons do (worse for NOx) and the speed of combustion is extremely high and almost uncontrollable. Hydrogen has a poor antiknock rating as a result. It is not a good fuel for a piston engine. It can be done ... it has been done ... but that doesn't make it a good idea.

If you're going to have hydrogen ... you use a fuel cell to make electricity from it. THAT is not subject to NOx emissions because it is not a high-temperature combustion process. And it's more efficient than a spark-ignition piston engine.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 20:26   #38
LarBear
Veteran Member

It must be great to live in a state where a 200 mile trip is considered a long one, not in Montana, TX, other western states where the place you're going is over 200 miles away, and more than likely 300 to 400 miles or more. There aren't towns in between a lot of times either. A rapidly replaceable battery, far more likely than one that recharges rapidly I think, is going to have a service charge for the replacement labor which will likely not be inexpensive. The thought of having a battery light the car on fire because of improper installation would likely require special service people to do the work.

Hydrogen power sounds really great, and there's a lot of it around too. The only problem is that it tends to react with a lot of other elements and requires likely more energy to get it split from what it's attached to than it will produce so it's not exactly a free ride either.

I'm sure some bright folks will come up with something that will be economical, practical, and affordable in the future. The ICE wasn't mandated by some government geniuses, and I'm sure whatever replaces it won't be either. I'll likely be long gone when it happens, but I hope for all you puppies out there that it's lovely.
LarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2016, 05:25   #39
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

My cars already burn hydrogen. They just have to carry along a bunch of carbon to keep it stable.
Old October 31st, 2016, 08:14   #40
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarBear View Post
It must be great to live in a state where a 200 mile trip is considered a long one, not in Montana, TX, other western states where the place you're going is over 200 miles away, and more than likely 300 to 400 miles or more. There aren't towns in between a lot of times either. A rapidly replaceable battery, far more likely than one that recharges rapidly I think, is going to have a service charge for the replacement labor which will likely not be inexpensive. The thought of having a battery light the car on fire because of improper installation would likely require special service people to do the work.

Hydrogen power sounds really great, and there's a lot of it around too. The only problem is that it tends to react with a lot of other elements and requires likely more energy to get it split from what it's attached to than it will produce so it's not exactly a free ride either.

I'm sure some bright folks will come up with something that will be economical, practical, and affordable in the future. The ICE wasn't mandated by some government geniuses, and I'm sure whatever replaces it won't be either. I'll likely be long gone when it happens, but I hope for all you puppies out there that it's lovely.
A couple of comments:

20 - 30 years ago at one of the colleges down in Southern California, engineering students built and demonstrated a car that ran on Hydrogen. IIRC, the Hydrogen was stored in some solid form that released the gas when heated, rather than in a compressed or liquid state. I don't recall if the engine was fuel cell driven or another way, but I do recall that the ONLY "emission" was water vapor.

The reason the ICE wasn't mandated by some government bureaucrats was because at that time the government followed the Constitution which has never given any power to determine what technology would be allowed. The closest it had ever gotten to that was the railroads where the construction was incentivized via the land grant process. The government never mandated use of wood over coal technology, use of steam over ICE technology, or vice versa. They knew it would be unconstitutional to try to do so.

The fleet:
Old October 31st, 2016, 11:01   #41
TwinTurboKen

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
A couple of comments:

20 - 30 years ago at one of the colleges down in Southern California, engineering students built and demonstrated a car that ran on Hydrogen. IIRC, the Hydrogen was stored in some solid form that released the gas when heated, rather than in a compressed or liquid state. I don't recall if the engine was fuel cell driven or another way, but I do recall that the ONLY "emission" was water vapor.

The reason the ICE wasn't mandated by some government bureaucrats was because at that time the government followed the Constitution which has never given any power to determine what technology would be allowed. The closest it had ever gotten to that was the railroads where the construction was incentivized via the land grant process. The government never mandated use of wood over coal technology, use of steam over ICE technology, or vice versa. They knew it would be unconstitutional to try to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfBdPKxk35k

Last edited by TwinTurboKen; October 31st, 2016 at 11:06.
TwinTurboKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2016, 11:23   #42
romad
Veteran Member

Yep, that sounds similar to what the college students did. Thanks for the video link.

The fleet:
Old November 17th, 2016, 21:16   #43
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBarlow View Post
When politicians ban or require something by a date fourteen years in the future it's clear they aren't sincere but only pandering to voters.
Pander? How about representing?

Well who else should they 'pander' to?

German lawmakers take their responsibility to their constituents a lot more seriously that US lawmakers.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 07:48   #44
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

You can vote that the sky is purple with pink polka dots, and politicians can order it to be so, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 09:44   #45
romad
Veteran Member

CARB tried several years ago to get ICE vehicles banned by now; their latest target date is 2030.

The fleet: