www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted

Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted VW TDI/Diesel related items for wanted and for sale by private individuals. Group Buys and commercial posts should be in the "Vendor & GroupBuy" section.

Old August 7th, 2016, 18:04   #1
RexNICO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None
Default FS: OH: Auto- dim rearview mirrors

Update towards the end.
Rounded up lots of VW & Audi auto-dimming rear view mirrors over the last few years. Time to clear the shelves.

Normal mount
(1) Black auto-dimming rear view w/ compass - $62 shipped 48 states (SOLD)
(2) Black auto-dimming rear view w/ compass has nicks & scuffs around the seam, where someone tried to open it up - $45 shipped 48 states (SOLD)
(3) Grey auto-dimming rear view w/ hidden compass - $80 shipped 48 states (SOLD) Have decide to let me "spare" one of these go, looks really nice in a grey interior.

VW B5/5.5, MK4 Rain mount
(4) Grey auto-dimming rear view none compass, downward ambient lights - $48 shipped 48 states
(5) Black (painted) auto-dimming rear view w/ hidden compass - $90 shipped 48 states
(6) Black non-VW rear view mirror w/ compass swapped onto VW mount - $40 shipped 48 states

Audi Rain mount
(7) Grey auto-dimming rear view w/ hidden compass - $95 shipped 48 states

VW B6 or B7 larger Rain mount
(8) Black body/tan edge auto-dimming rear view none compass - $75 shipped 48 states

I have more various rear view mirrors, if you have any desire to create your own Frankenstien mirror.

A few pics
(1) The Black normal mount with compass mirror & base/mount

=====================================
(4) Grey, rain mount, non-compass, ambient lights

=====================================
(5) Black (painted) in car night shot

(5) From outside the car, (have trim pieces)For color perspective, my seats & visors are grey, not tan.

Last edited by RexNICO; January 24th, 2018 at 14:07.
RexNICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 21:33   #2
dirtride
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf
Fuel Economy: mid to upper 40's

PM on grey auto dim, hidden comp, normal mount.

03 GOLF ~ GLS ALH EGR (turned it into a mutt)
00 F-350 ~ 7.3 PSD 4WD ZF-6 XLT LBCC (modified, not a mutt)
dirtride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 15:18   #3
RexNICO
Veteran Member

I've gotten a few questions about the different types of windshield mounts and mirror removal/installations. Yes, VW/Audi calls the feature anti-dazzle, but most people I’ve ever talked with call it auto-dimming.

First let me say – by default, auto-dimming mirrors act as a normal mirror when not powered, it just won’t auto-dim without 12v & ground. So, if someone offers you a dark looking mirror claiming it’s an Auto-dimming mirror and will function correctly once installed – walk away from that mirror. It is most likely failed. Failed mirrors can usually be identified by horrible discoloration (normal spots, but typically oval areas that look very smoky) or a gold tone. A mirror that’s starting to turn gold is a little harder to “see” unless a normal mirror is provided as comparison. There are companies that will rebuild/repair, feel free to do some research if you want to pick up (or have) a bad mirror to be rebuilt.

MOUNTS
There's 2 primary VW/Audi windshield mount types I'm aware of - (Clarification - 2 that apply to the VW MK4, B5 & Audi B5, C5, D2)
Normal/Button
Rain sensing

The Normal Button was widely used on may VW/Audi models thru the years, but is relevant here as it applies to what was used on VW Passat B3-6 & Jetta/Golf MK3-MK6. It may be used more than that, but I can speak from 1st hand knowledge beyond what I mentioned above.

The Normal Button mount uses a clockwise/counter clock wise turning of the mirror mount (the stubby part mating to the windshield) to install/remove. While this is usually pretty simple, there are times when is can be a real challenge.

Removal should be as easy as "firmly grasp the base/mount & twist clockwise or counter clock wise". I'd suggest extra care here, as I've seen some take part of the windshield with them. I've seen some come off with no hassle, I've seen others require using a pair of pliers (use a cloth towel to protect base) and unfortunately, I've seen some twist the mount/button off the windshield. The latter is more likely to happen in hot conditions and especially if someone had to replace/re-glue the button back on the windshield and put the mirror on too soon.

I've interchanged normal/button mount mirrors from various Audi's with MK3, MK4, MK5, B4, B5, B5.5 & B6 VW's.

The Rain Sensing mount is more complicated in multiple ways - it's harder to remove/install, there's been a few variations of sensors & mounts over the years and it requires a specific windshield (or other ingenious accommodations).

WIRING
The VW/Audi OEM mirrors I have listed in the 1st post all include the car side 6 pin connector & some length of wire. Typically, you can tap into the sunroof control for the ground & the 12v switched. I’ve never tried in a non-sunroof car, so it could be more complicated in those, as I’m not sure there’s a 12v switched up high or not.

Aside from the ground & 12v switched, you could if you were so inclined wire a couple other features.
1) Reverse cancel – This tells the mirror the car is in reverse and defeats the Auto-dimming feature (I typically skip this)
2) Side mirror control – For VW/Audi’s with auto-dim side view mirrors, the rear view mirror controls them and sends the signal to “dim”. (I lost all motivation of trying to swap Audi A4 or A6 side mirrors with auto-dim on to my cars after about 10 minutes of research)
I think the other pins in the connector are for the rain sensor, but I’m not 100% sure.

I hope this helps, and please feel free to PM or post here if you have questions.

Now some pics

Last edited by RexNICO; February 8th, 2017 at 09:18.
RexNICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2016, 09:37   #4
RexNICO
Veteran Member

(6) This is non-VW/Audi swapped onto an MK4/B5,5.5 Rain sensing mount - Back side

(6) Bottom

(6) Face

Yes, I believe there is a possibility you could tie in a temp sensor and have temp displayed as well.
Old August 9th, 2016, 17:49   #5
Halcyon22

TDI(s): mk4 jetta

so basically tap the power for the sun roof and hook up the auto-dim function? is the "normal mount black auto-dim with compass" mirror still available?
Halcyon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2016, 18:18   #6
RexNICO
Veteran Member

Yes, the normal mount ones are pretty simple. The rain mount is a much more difficult retrofit.

Just to be clear, 12v switched which could be hard to find for a non-sunroof car.

Yes, only 1 mirror spoken for so far.

Thanks
Old August 11th, 2016, 20:14   #7
caddy16v
Veteran Member

Is the black one with the pry marks still fully functional ?
Old August 12th, 2016, 15:05   #8
RexNICO
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy16v View Post
Is the black one with the pry marks still fully functional ?
Yes, no functional issues, just a little cosmetics. Thanks

Got the pics hosted.

(2) Across the bottom

(2) Top has less, and they marks are less severe (this is not ALL of the marks across the top)

(2) Close up of bottom

(2) Good mirror, no discoloration
Old August 14th, 2016, 15:17   #9
RexNICO
Veteran Member

Mirrors 1 & 3 in the 1st post have sold.

A few options left, please feel free to PM or post here if you have any questions.

Thanks
Old August 27th, 2016, 03:39   #10
RexNICO
Veteran Member

Still have some mirrors left, please post or PM if you have any questions. thanks
Old August 27th, 2016, 05:04   #11
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

The one with the pry marks - can they actually come apart with minimal damage to the case halves? I have one just like it, but the mirror glass has a small scratch, and shows some very slight corrosion around the compass and light sensor openings. wouldn't mind swapping your good glass into it?

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 09:26   #12
RexNICO
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
The one with the pry marks - can they actually come apart with minimal damage to the case halves? I have one just like it, but the mirror glass has a small scratch, and shows some very slight corrosion around the compass and light sensor openings. wouldn't mind swapping your good glass into it?
Yes, the 2 halves can be separated, I typically use old credit/gift cards & slide them in horizontally then work them towards the corners. I can separate the 2 halves before shipping if you'd like. Thanks
Old September 28th, 2016, 06:07   #13
RexNICO
Veteran Member

Last of the "Normal Mount" has sold.

Still have a few various Rain Mount mirrors available, plus some non-VW/Audi for those interested in building their own hybrid (compass, temp [need sensor & wire], homelink, etc).
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:04   #14
RexNICO
Veteran Member

UPDATE
Find myself with 2 MK4, B5/5.5 rain mount auto-dimming with hidden compass (1 OEM Audi grey, 1 painted black) and only 1 rain mount style MK4.

$115 shipped (48 states) for either the factory Audi grey or painted black. Once 1 of these 2 sells, the other will not be available.

Also have 2 from newer MKVI or B6/7 (not sure) larger rain mount. One solid black, one has tan trim around mirror glass (no compass)

$65 shipped (48 states)

Still have a grey auto-dimming rear view non-compass, downward ambient lights - $48 shipped (48 states)

Have a few other (including non-VW/Audi) that I could use to make something - PM me and we can discuss.
Old February 7th, 2017, 19:31   #15
ddc
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG Highway with big wide summer tires - 48 MPG Best tank
Default Auto dimming mirrors

I've been wanting to put one in my 05 Jetta wagon. Mk4 body style.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote