Green vs. G12/13 Coolant

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm not questioning Jason's credentials, but Tomo checked his '15 Jetta TDI and there is one in the reservoir. I wish that someone would just post a picture. BTW, the part number for the silicate cartridge is 4E0121176.
I think Tomo might have mistaken the baffled sensor area jason spoke of for the silicate repository. I also wouldn't rule out the possibilty that the gassers and tdi's share the same expansion tank, but only the gassers get the silicates. I have no dog in this fight either. Just curiosity.

Edit: VW says that cartridge is for '14-'16 1.8 and 2.0 turbo gassers only.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I think Tomo might have mistaken the baffled sensor area jason spoke of for the silicate repository. I also wouldn't rule out the possibilty that the gassers and tdi's share the same expansion tank, but only the gassers get the silicates. I have no dog in this fight either. Just curiosity.

Edit: VW says that cartridge is for '14-'16 1.8 and 2.0 turbo gassers only.
Take a look at the picture.....my Car is a 2015 Jetta SEL TDI......

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Take a look at the picture.....my Car is a 2015 Jetta SEL TDI......
Ok, that seems convincing enough. I assume that isn't chlorine tablets. :) I was really saying the part # 1854sailor mentioned is supposedly just for the turbo gassers. Different part #?

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Ok, that seems convincing enough. I assume that isn't chlorine tablets. :) I was really saying the part # 1854sailor mentioned is supposedly just for the turbo gassers. Different part #?
Highlighted the key word for you... ;)

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
Thanks for the picture. This thread would've been alot less drama had someone simply posted it earlier.

Wiki says the only two plants that make Golf Mk7s are Wolfsburg Germany and Puebla Mexico. Maybe manufacturing origin has something to do with it?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Thanks for the picture. This thread would've been alot less drama had someone simply posted it earlier.

Wiki says the only two plants that make Golf Mk7s are Wolfsburg Germany and Puebla Mexico. Maybe manufacturing origin has something to do with it?
My car is a MK6 Jetta not a Mk7......and it was made in Puebla....

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think somebody (dealership) may have erroneously put the gasser silicate cartridge in tomo's tank. I don't think it's supposed to just bob around like that. The EA288 workshop manual shows a completely different setup.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I think somebody (dealership) may have erroneously put the gasser silicate cartridge in tomo's tank. I don't think it's supposed to just bob around like that. The EA288 workshop manual shows a completely different setup.
Nope, it was there from the factory. Please stop kissing up to Jason. He is, without a doubt, an excellent TDI mechanic, but he does not know everything. Why hasn't he responded??

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I do not believe that to be the case..... My Salesman (now Deceased) watched my car closely....

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nope, it was there from the factory. Please stop kissing up to Jason. He is, without a doubt, an excellent TDI mechanic, but he does not know everything. Why hasn't he responded??

With all due respect, I'm not kissing up to anybody. You say it was there from the factory with a lot of certainty. I know better than to make those assumptions. Maybe it was. But that cartridge/filter/strainer looks to me like it is supposed to fit like a strainer normally would. It wouldn't be the first time a tech has screwed up. Also, not all of us have the time to peruse the forums all day long.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
With all due respect, I'm not kissing up to anybody. You say it was there from the factory with a lot of certainty. I know better than to make those assumptions. Maybe it was. But that cartridge/filter/strainer looks to me like it is supposed to fit like a strainer normally would. It wouldn't be the first time a tech has screwed up. Also, not all of us have the time to peruse the forums all day long.
It does fit in the recess at the bottom of the overflow tank. Tom popped it out to show that it was indeed there. Look at the second picture and you can see it where it is supposed to be. Sheesh!

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Why is it so hard for folks to accept that a factory documented item that is found in the car that the books say it should be in is actually there?!
Perhaps folks can debate the need of it....
But the fact it is there....and the documents from VW says it should be should be enough.
I don't get it...
Yes, the 2015 cars with the EA-288 motor is different....it's not just a older motor with a SCR system bolted on like the gen2 Passats had up till 2014, but a mostly new desgin....sure the block is said to be the same, maybe a few items here or there...but it is a new design.
Even the guru's don't know this crap....
He spouts off info about how the tanks are replaced with a 2 year flush....on a car that's only one model years old...it just goes on and on.....
Why is it hard to say the ea-288 is different?!

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Why is it so hard for folks to accept that a factory documented item that is found in the car that the books say it should be in is actually there?!
Perhaps folks can debate the need of it....
But the fact it is there....and the documents from VW says it should be should be enough.
I don't get it...
Yes, the 2015 cars with the EA-288 motor is different....it's not just a older motor with a SCR system bolted on like the gen2 Passats had up till 2014, but a mostly new desgin....sure the block is said to be the same, maybe a few items here or there...but it is a new design.
Even the guru's don't know this crap....
He spouts off info about how the tanks are replaced with a 2 year flush....on a car that's only one model years old...it just goes on and on.....
Why is it hard to say the ea-288 is different?!
I started a thread in the MK6 page asking owners of 2015's to look and post! please do!

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur