www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 25th, 2016, 12:09   #1
otty
Veteran Member

Default Affordable Euro Hitch

Hello all. I have been wanting a hitch for the Passat for a long time. The ones available in North America just aren't satisfactory; they cut your clearance and do not attach to the car in a manner that is secure enough in my view.

Most Euro hitches that are satisfactory are very expensive - at least $4-500 shipped. I believe I have found a good alternative.

I order an Auto-Hak brand hitch for my 4motion Passat on Ebay UK. Total cost shipped to my door (2 month ground shipping) was $200CDN from Poland. This also includes a full wiring kit.

The hitch is made in Poland fully EU approved for 2200KG tow weight and 85KG tongue weight. It isn't a slick as the Westfalia or Bosal hitches in that it comes in three pieces that are attached by bolts rather than as one welded piece. It does seem very sturdy however. Total weight is about 20KG.

Some pics to show you what it looks like:

This shows you how the hitch must be assembled rather than one welded unit like the Wetfalia hitches

Here you can see how the swan neck attaches. It is quite easily removable. You can also see that there are two loops for attaching safety chains.

With the swan neck mostly attached. Very little clearance lost and no bumper cutting required. Installation was easy - maybe one hour max.

Another shot from a different angle

Overall I am very happy with the hitch. I would prefer a Westfalia hitch but this is very satisfactory especially for the price.

Here is link to the ad I bought the hitch from. No North American shipping options are shown but contact him and he will ship. I think he has these hitches for most VW models too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-...X:eRTM:GB:1123

Last edited by otty; July 25th, 2016 at 12:16. Reason: Cleaning it up a bit..
otty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 14:10   #2
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

I like this. I have a hitch on mine, looks to be a Curt like this one (came on the car): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Curt-Class-1...Model%3APassat

I would like to get yours, the price is right, the only issue is that I only need to haul my small utility trailer and nothing else, so it does the job.

It is much uglier than this though...

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is online now   Reply With Quote