www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old May 15th, 2016, 06:46   #1
2005TDI_1994IDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/44/38
Default Vagcom from Total Car Diag

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/s...-rosstech-vcds

Has anybody used this one? I know Rosstech is the best way to go, but all I want to do is check my cam timing. I have a BEW, so I don't need to set the injector timing and my Scangauge does a great job on reading and clearing codes.

I bought one of those cheap China knock offs just to see and it works. I just wanted to see if I would like to play with this stuff and if so I might get the Rosstech. So far it is just to confussing with all the codes and I don't know what all the readings mean. Does Rosstech come with a reference sheet showing what the readings should be for specific vehicles?
Old May 15th, 2016, 16:00   #2
Enabled
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005TDI_1994IDI View Post
http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/s...-rosstech-vcds

Has anybody used this one? I know Rosstech is the best way to go, but all I want to do is check my cam timing. I have a BEW, so I don't need to set the injector timing and my Scangauge does a great job on reading and clearing codes.

I bought one of those cheap China knock offs just to see and it works. I just wanted to see if I would like to play with this stuff and if so I might get the Rosstech. So far it is just to confussing with all the codes and I don't know what all the readings mean. Does Rosstech come with a reference sheet showing what the readings should be for specific vehicles?
What you linked is exactly that.
-BMW Z3 M Coupe (1 of 36)
-BMW 328d wagon (Self tuned ~230hp)
Enabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 03:14   #3
2005TDI_1994IDI
Veteran Member

So you think it is a Cheap China knock off for 3 times the price?
Old May 16th, 2016, 05:12   #4
cleaver
Veteran Member

Yes, this is a pirated version. You can tell by the upgrade price to the newest version. Once you purchase a legitimate Ross-Tech cable you have free software upgrades for life.

The cable you linked to will only work with the version of software that it comes with. So you will never be able to upgrade, never get technical support, and you are also supporting the Chinese instead of a local American company that supports this website.

IMO, best place to buy VW parts in Canada: contact Brian @ www.roselandtech.ca
cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 13:30   #5
2005TDI_1994IDI
Veteran Member

Those the Ross-tech comes with acceptable ranges for the readings? I have no use for a bunch of information that I have no clue what it means.
Old May 16th, 2016, 19:26   #6
jetta ,97

Fuel Economy: Very good
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
Yes, this is a pirated version. You can tell by the upgrade price to the newest version. Once you purchase a legitimate Ross-Tech cable you have free software upgrades for life.

The cable you linked to will only work with the version of software that it comes with. So you will never be able to upgrade, never get technical support, and you are also supporting the Chinese instead of a local American company that supports this website.
Thank you .
ECU TUNING-TDTUNING Authorized Dealer
MK6 Needle Sweep,MK5 with MK6 Cluster
jetta ,97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 19:27   #7
jetta ,97

Fuel Economy: Very good

Quote:
Those the Ross-tech comes with acceptable ranges for the readings? I have no use for a bunch of information that I have no clue what it means.
If you want to buy original VCDS , then you can find original here:

http://www.ross-tech.com/

or here:
http://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.php

Anything else it will be PIRATE version.
ECU TUNING-TDTUNING Authorized Dealer
MK6 Needle Sweep,MK5 with MK6 Cluster
jetta ,97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 16:19   #8
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
So just use your basic code reader and call it a day.

No, Ross Tech does not provide "data sheets" to decode the measuring blocks.

The thing about something like VCDS is that you have to do your homework to understand what it is telling you. If you don't it is just another toy you have no clue how to use.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2018, 11:55   #9
serjio89

TDI(s): Passat

What about the vcds cable from www.totalcardiagnostics.com that i bought, is completely useless and not working, paid 116$ with ship. included, they gave a lot of different instructions on how to install: do that and do that..., and no luck, after a week of emails, they stopped answering to my emails, so dont buy from them, loss of money and waste of time. Dont let them take your money!!!!
serjio89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2018, 12:43   #10
tadawson
Veteran Member

It's interesting that that site talks about OBD this and OBD that, and has the balls to put up a VW logo . . . I say that simply because VagCom is *NOT* OBD in any way shape or form! VW had to comply with the basic requirements of OBD to be legal for sale in the US, but it does almost nothing by comparison.

Or, if I'm looking at the wrong product, please provide a better pointer, since totalcardiagnostics seems to have more than one . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2018, 01:31   #11
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
It's interesting that that site talks about OBD this and OBD that, and has the balls to put up a VW logo . . . I say that simply because VagCom is *NOT* OBD in any way shape or form! VW had to comply with the basic requirements of OBD to be legal for sale in the US, but it does almost nothing by comparison.

Or, if I'm looking at the wrong product, please provide a better pointer, since totalcardiagnostics seems to have more than one . . .
You sound like you are confused.

Well, yes VCDS is OBD2 and supports generic OBD2 fault codes and checks OBD2 readiness among other things. VCDS's OBD2 functions works better than many Generic OBD2 scanners.

The site you refer to is nothing more than a scam.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; August 2nd, 2018 at 01:35.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 10:44   #12
tadawson
Veteran Member

Uh, no VCDS *supports* OBD2 (I never said it didn't) but VagCom, as a protocol still isn't OBD2. It may ride on the same underlying comm protocol, but OBD2 commands it ain't, or any OBD reader could work with it if the PIDs were defined.

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2018, 11:22   #13
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Uh, no VCDS *supports* OBD2 (I never said it didn't) but VagCom, as a protocol still isn't OBD2. It may ride on the same underlying comm protocol, but OBD2 commands it ain't, or any OBD reader could work with it if the PIDs were defined.

- Tim
I think that a better way to understand this is to realize that VWs are bilingual. They speak 2 different distinct languages.
1) They speak ODBII which is a generic protocol that is required by law. ODBII is really only concerned with engine and emissions functions. ODBII knows almost nothing about the rest of the car.
2) VWs also speak their own proprietary language that can communicate with every control module in the car. This "language" is much more detailed and powerful. This "language" is only understood by vehicles manufactured by the Volkswagen group (VW, Audi, SEAT, Skoda, etc.)

Generic ODBII scanners only can read ODBII PIDs, so their functionality is limited to engine and emissions faults.

VCDS speaks both languages fluently, so it can do an ODBII scan of any car but when talking to a VAG vehicle it can do far more. There are a few other tools on the market that can speak VW's language but they are either more limited in what they can do or they are much more expensive than VCDS.

Any new product that calls itself VagCom is (by definition) a fake. VCDS is the new name for what used to be called Vag-Com. Also any "VagCom" interface that comes with a specific version of software is also a fake. Real Ross-Tech interfaces require you to download the latest version from their website. Always beware of cheap alternatives - you get what you pay for (if you are lucky). The cheap often turns out to be quite expensive.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited by JSWTDI09; August 2nd, 2018 at 11:25.
JSWTDI09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2018, 16:17   #14
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Well put Don. It's kinda like my multimeter. It's actually trilingual. It speaks Volts, Amps and Ohms. It speaks 3 completely different languages and It also speaks different dialects (ranges) of each type of measurement automatically. (auto-range)
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; August 2nd, 2018 at 16:24.