www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:02   #1
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!
Default Can't Add Remote Using VCDS

I followed all of the instructions to a tee, but the controller won't let me add another key. I went to controller 35-Cent. Locking then to Adaptation-10, Channel 01, and hit Read. It shows 1 key in Stored Value. When I push the "Up" button to increase the number of keys to 2, the "Test" and "Save" buttons gray out. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to try the option of clearing the one key that works for fear that I won't be able to reprogram that one.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 15:27   #2
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1854sailor View Post
I followed all of the instructions to a tee, but the controller won't let me add another key. I went to controller 35-Cent. Locking then to Adaptation-10, Channel 01, and hit Read. It shows 1 key in Stored Value. When I push the "Up" button to increase the number of keys to 2, the "Test" and "Save" buttons gray out. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to try the option of clearing the one key that works for fear that I won't be able to reprogram that one.
You referring to these instructions? for the car under your screen name or something else?

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/car...-matching.html
When interviewed about why no diesel for the new F150, Ford responded to effect that diesel makes no sense in the 1/2 ton market. That brilliance should be repeated in every Ram 1500 eco-diesel commercial.

OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
thebigarniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 16:20   #3
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigarniedog View Post
You referring to these instructions? for the car under your screen name or something else?

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/car...-matching.html
Yes, those are the instructions that I am referring to. I downloaded them from the Ross-Tech site. The car is our '01 Golf. One of the original keys died. The red light wouldn't flash even with a new battery. I got a new remote (same part no. as the kaput unit) and put the old key with the immobilizer chip on it. It blinks like the key that works, but I can't add it per my original post.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 16:23   #4
jetta ,97

Fuel Economy: Very good

Quote:
You have to clear all keys that was before reprogram in car.I have done it a lot of keys with no problem.
Here:

[Select]

[35 - Cent. Locking]

[Adaptation - 10]
Enter channel "00"
[Read]

[Save]

Then THIS:
[Adaptation - 10]
Enter channel "01" (May be channel "21" in some Audi models).

[Read]

This will display the number of currently stored remotes in "Stored Value".

Enter your total number of keys up to a maximum of 4(including any existing keys) in "New Value"

[Test]

Verify that the number in "Test Value" is correct.

[Save]

Then press and hold (for at least one second) the UNLOCK button on the fob, at which time it will be learned. If you're programming more than one fob press and hold the UNLOCK button on the second fob for one second, press and hold the UNLOCK button on the third fob for one second, etc. You have a total of 15 seconds to do them all.
The car may give you some sort of acknowledgement as each key is learned (lights flash, horn beep, etc.)

ECU TUNING-TDTUNING Authorized Dealer
MK6 Needle Sweep,MK5 with MK6 Cluster

Last edited by jetta ,97; September 23rd, 2010 at 16:26.
jetta ,97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 16:31   #5
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta ,97 View Post
You have to clear all keys that was before reprogram in car.I have done it a lot of keys with no problem.
Here:
Yes, I have read those instructions, but since VCDS won't let me change the number of keys, I am wary about deleting the one key that works.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 17:24   #6
jetta ,97

Quote:
Yes, I have read those instructions, but since VCDS won't let me change the number of keys, I am wary about deleting the one key that works.
It won't let you do that before you clear old keys.
Trust me I have done so many keys and remotes with no problem.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 22:08   #7
diredesire
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~45+mpg mixed

If you disassemble your key, can you just swap over the immobilizer chip, and then pair the radio via the door? It's an alternative if you're willing
Old September 24th, 2010, 04:39   #8
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by diredesire View Post
If you disassemble your key, can you just swap over the immobilizer chip, and then pair the radio via the door? It's an alternative if you're willing
The immobilizer chip is in the switchblade part of the key assembly, and it works fine. All that I replaced is the remote control portion of the key, and VCDS won't let me add it.
Old September 24th, 2010, 06:29   #9
jef@rosstech
Associate Ross-Tech Vendor
w/Business number

VCDS is not the point of failure here... you need to follow the directions as spelled out by Jetta 97.

If you clear out the values and then the central locking module can not learn new remotes, then there is something already wrong with the central locking module (or maybe the remotes).

When adapting remotes via VCDS, I have always cleared out learned values first. If I've ever run into a problem, 99% of the time it is something with the remote (weak battery, remote run though washing machine).

What should you do first with VCDS? AUTOSCAN!
jef@rosstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:12   #10
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef@rosstech View Post
VCDS is not the point of failure here... you need to follow the directions as spelled out by Jetta 97.

If you clear out the values and then the central locking module can not learn new remotes, then there is something already wrong with the central locking module (or maybe the remotes).

When adapting remotes via VCDS, I have always cleared out learned values first. If I've ever run into a problem, 99% of the time it is something with the remote (weak battery, remote run though washing machine).
Hi, Jeff
I was hoping that you or Uwe would chime in. I don't think that there is anything wrong with the central locking module because the one key works fine. The problem that I am having is that when I try to increase the number of keys in the "Stored Value" as described in my original post, both the "Test" and "Save" buttons gray out. BTW, both remotes have brand new batteries, and neither have been through the laundry.
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:45   #11
jetta ,97

Quote:
The problem that I am having is that when I try to increase the number of keys in the "Stored Value" as described in my original post, both the "Test" and "Save" buttons gray out. BTW, both remotes have brand new batteries, and neither have been through the laundry.
I told you It won't let you do that before you clear old keys.
Old September 24th, 2010, 08:35   #12
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I just can't decide whether to bite the bullet and give it a try, or just live with the one key that works
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:02   #13
jetta ,97

Quote:
I just can't decide whether to bite the bullet and give it a try, or just live with the one key that works
If you don't believe me and Jeff then I don't know what to tell you.
I have done over 100 remotes this way and never had a single problem.
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:40   #14
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't doubt for one minute that you have done the remotes that way, all I'm saying is that I am probably being overly cautious. It's just a part of my je ne sais quoi
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:12   #15
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Quote:

Sigh ...... I think you are wasting your time. Been there, done that and have the T-shirt. Ultimately, any home gamer has to be willing to take the risk of failure (whether replacing a turbo or a simple key fob). People that are this risk adverse will complain endlessly if it does not work for them and will look for people to blame (remember the "retard" thread where the guy could not even follow the simplest of instructions).

I am not saying that is the case here. I am saying that the instructions were provided. If he/she is unable or unwilling to follow those instructions and accept the potential consequences then further persuasion is unnecessary as he has accepted by default his current condition. Wish him good luck and move on --- avoid the O'Hanian Rule .......
When interviewed about why no diesel for the new F150, Ford responded to effect that diesel makes no sense in the 1/2 ton market. That brilliance should be repeated in every Ram 1500 eco-diesel commercial.

OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
thebigarniedog is offline   Reply With Quote