www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old July 1st, 2016, 19:59   #61
Tornado TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobianogreg View Post
I'm reluctant to say anything at this point (sheepishly cowed) but I expect Cdn values for the "trade in" figure will be somewhat elevated given that we typically pay more for vehicles.
redfaced Greg
That's what I'm hoping for too.
We pay more for the same car up here.
Our buyback numbers should be higher.
It will be in Canadian dollars though because we buy in Canadian dollars.
I have a 2015 Jetta highline 6MT with 6200 KM.
If we get a similar deal to the US but in Cdn $ it comes out to around $28000.
I could be doing it wrong thought because I see people on the forum with the same car saying they would get $30,000.
I got a call from the local dealer today saying they will have a great deal for me to get into a Jetta gasser.
I told them if we get an offer the same as the Americans they would have to give me a lot of money to get me out of my car.
I'm going to go in tomorrow and see what their idea of a great deal is.
Should be good for a laugh.
Old July 2nd, 2016, 05:57   #62
Ursadorable

One thing I noticed about Canadian models, which is lacking in the US calculator are trim levels. Such as Highline, which by default add heated leather seats which significantly add to the base price.
Ursadorable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 07:39   #63
dwfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: golf 2006 Ave. 52 mpg (imp) on 330,000 km

Still looks to me that the best deal will be to drive it until all the options are ready to expire then take the money in 2018 or whenever they put an end to the buyout.
The email I posted also came by snail mail a couple of days later. Being Canadian I'm not much on court action but maybe someone has to do it.
So in the immediate time I will just wait till end of July to reformulate my options. But that Audi etron has caught my interest with the buyout money and the Ontario grant I could get one for under 15K.

dwfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 09:14   #64
joey003
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfdiesel View Post
Still looks to me that the best deal will be to drive it until all the options are ready to expire then take the money in 2018 or whenever they put an end to the buyout.
The email I posted also came by snail mail a couple of days later. Being Canadian I'm not much on court action but maybe someone has to do it.
So in the immediate time I will just wait till end of July to reformulate my options. But that Audi etron has caught my interest with the buyout money and the Ontario grant I could get one for under 15K.
I've taken a look and a few drives in the A3 e-tron. Very nicely equipped car, quite fun to drive still too. I've been looking at that and the BMW i3. Between the buyout and Ontario incentives they're some interesting options.
joey003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 14:58   #65
Tornado TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post
One thing I noticed about Canadian models, which is lacking in the US calculator are trim levels. Such as Highline, which by default add heated leather seats which significantly add to the base price.
My highline came with heated leather seats.
What they don't give me credit for is the $1000+ dollars I paid for the Bi-Xenon
light option. But they do subtract $900 because I have a manual.

I did go to the dealer today to check out a 2016 Golf R.

They wanted $4000 over MSRP.
I told them that would not work for me.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 10:46   #66
Rob_MacCara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Not even close to the old TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by haunruh View Post
I just went through the calculations for my 2011 GSW TDI w/DSG, 74,000 km, and the US buyback value seems to come out to around $21,600. If VW Canada follows the US, this would be ok with me.
This is pretty much what I have, along with sunroof and NAV (Highline).
I'd be happy to sell back this for a 2017 wagon with light package at a minimum. I'm okay leaving the diesel stable - had plenty so far, but I don't drive as much now, and I like the TSI in my wife's '15 Golf.
Only sad part is I've got a DSG tune + Malone Stage 2. Also have some Buzzken parts underneath. I'd hate to give that up if there isn't a really good incentive to trade-in.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 14:23   #67
Bahamut
Veteran Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricMayhem View Post
If you read the documents that were filed in the States last week, it is fairly clear that VW has no viable/economic solution for the 2.0 non-SCR engines. I think VW will have no choice but to buy them back, put them in containers, and ship them to China for resale.

They can't force you to sell your car to them, so they will have to make it worth your while.

The wrinkle is that, for those of us in Ontario, I could see the provincial government refusing to renew registration stickers. In that case, we will have to take whatever VW is offering. But that move would almost guarantee that Magna would be shut out of supplying parts to VW, which would involve Ontario job losses.
What you say makes total sense. On the other hand, VW hasn't done very much lately that has made sense . I'm wondering how interested the Ontario government would be in enforcing the emission standards. Perhaps they will negotiate an agreement whereby they will state that a fix is in the works, and will be applied once available or they will pay the government a fine. Still, July 29th isn't that far away so all we can do right now is wait and hope for the best.

Current vehicles: 2004 Volkswagen Golf TDI, 2017 Subaru WRX STi, 2006 Suzuki GS500F (streetfighter/cruiser mod).
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2016, 14:28   #68
Bahamut
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfdiesel View Post
Definitely a sensible option! The only risk that I can envision right now is the possibility of a write-off due to accident. Since insurance companies pay market value for a write-off, and especially since our vehicles have taken such a hit in resale value, there could be a definite difference between what is owing on the vehicle and what it is actually worth (unless you own it outright). Now, if the car is less than 2 years old (like mine), you might have a "Loss of Depreciation" waiver on your policy that is valid for 2 years from date of purchase. If this is the case, then you will be covered for MSRP if the vehicle is written off. I checked this with my insurance company a couple of weeks ago. Once that waiver expires, however, it is a different story.

Current vehicles: 2004 Volkswagen Golf TDI, 2017 Subaru WRX STi, 2006 Suzuki GS500F (streetfighter/cruiser mod).
Old July 3rd, 2016, 17:40   #69
bboshart
Veteran Member

If VW Canada does not offer buybacks, I think it would be a huge miscalculation on their part. They need to settle this as soon as possible and move on.
bboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2016, 18:24   #70
Bahamut
Veteran Member

This seems to be one of the more accurate legal sites regarding Canadian legal progress. There are several law firms involved in the class action process here, but this site does a decent job of outlining who is a potential class member, and the timeline for updates.

https://www.strosbergco.com/class-ac...ab6b305eac.htm

Old July 4th, 2016, 07:07   #71
copperbeech
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado TDI View Post
My highline came with heated leather seats.
What they don't give me credit for is the $1000+ dollars I paid for the Bi-Xenon
light option. But they do subtract $900 because I have a manual.
That is me for our 2015 Golf Sportwagen + we spent about $1200 on a 10 year warranty. I guess we lose out on that as well .
copperbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2016, 07:23   #72
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

As has been noted MANY times in this discussion, if you have an extended warranty, and it was from a reputable company, you should be able to get a rebate for the portion of that warranty that will go unused. Talk to your warranty provider.

If you bought a cheap warranty from a fly-by-night, you're on your own.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2016, 07:24   #73
copperbeech
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Talk to your warranty provider.
It was purchased at the time of sale from VW.
Old July 4th, 2016, 07:27   #74
copperbeech
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
As has been noted MANY times in this discussion,
I did do a search on the word warranty in this particular thread and it spit back nothing (of any consequence). I must have missed something.
Old July 4th, 2016, 09:47   #75
Bahamut
Veteran Member

Default Need to be more vocal here...

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/di...130000338.html

I only found a link to this article through Yahoo News, but its hopeful. Hopefully more organizations here become vocal about the issue.