www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old June 29th, 2016, 11:55   #31
tobianogreg
Veteran Member

I strongly suspect you will get a reasonable facsimile of a fix for your car, me not so much. I'm pretty sure when the fix deadline comes and goes I will be out of options; however the depreciation might not look so bad at that point.

You don't get the "compensation" until the car is actually "fixed".
tobianogreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 20:44   #32
haunruh
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42.6 mpg Cdn (= 35.5 US) mostly city

I just went through the calculations for my 2011 GSW TDI w/DSG, 74,000 km, and the US buyback value seems to come out to around $21,600. If VW Canada follows the US, this would be ok with me.
2003 Chevy 2500HD 6.6L Duramax/Allison PPE Programmer
1969 Mercury Cougar Eliminator (original owner) website: http://harrya.webs.com
haunruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 21:12   #33
tobianogreg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haunruh View Post
I just went through the calculations for my 2011 GSW TDI w/DSG, 74,000 km, and the US buyback value seems to come out to around $21,600. If VW Canada follows the US, this would be ok with me.
I have you at $18,760.

Unofficial calculator

Last edited by tobianogreg; June 29th, 2016 at 21:50.
Old June 29th, 2016, 22:03   #34
haunruh
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42.6 mpg Cdn (= 35.5 US) mostly city

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobianogreg View Post
I have you at $18,760.

Unofficial calculator
Hmmm, I just used the calculator and it gave me $23,207.
I used 45,000 mi (= 75,000km) on Oct. 2017.

I'll gladly take it!!
2003 Chevy 2500HD 6.6L Duramax/Allison PPE Programmer
1969 Mercury Cougar Eliminator (original owner) website: http://harrya.webs.com
haunruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 22:28   #35
tobianogreg
Veteran Member

My apologies. I've been entering kms instead of miles. Duh!

I feel so stupid... but much happier.
Old June 29th, 2016, 22:58   #36
steve1479
Veteran Member

Based on the calculator, my 2015 jetta with 60,000 km is worth 33,000 CAD

I'll gladly take that lol
steve1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 05:29   #37
Bahamut
Veteran Member

I think with the calculations I went through, it came out to $27,647 for my Passat w/ 88,000km on it.

Still a bit worried about the language being used by VW Canada right now: they've somewhat changed their message since April (from "we will do in Canada what we do in the U.S." to "we hope for something similar").
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 05:50   #38
joey003
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
I think with the calculations I went through, it came out to $27,647 for my Passat w/ 88,000km on it.

Still a bit worried about the language being used by VW Canada right now: they've somewhat changed their message since April (from "we will do in Canada what we do in the U.S." to "we hope for something similar").
Same here. Now we have another 4 weeks to wait.
joey003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 05:55   #39
Bahamut
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey003 View Post
Same here. Now we have another 4 weeks to wait.
At which point we find out that we get a free toque, can of beer, and a token gift card .

In all honesty, I feel like VW is waiting to see how things turn out south of the border before they offer us anything. Makes sense in a way: if they offer Canadians a better deal, then everyone in the U.S. will cry foul. If they offer Canadians a sub-standard deal, and then renegotiate in the U.S. based on consumer feedback with a better deal, then we will be upset.

Best reason I can justify this point with is the data on https://www.vwemissionsinfo.ca/news/...tdi-vehicles/: if they were not going to wait on the U.S. decision, then why would they even be mentioning it to Canadian customers?
Old June 30th, 2016, 05:55   #40
FVWVWF
Veteran Member

Quote:

Are you sure?
I have a 2012 with Fender and 105,000 kms...using that calculator I got $26,300 CDN.
Did you (or anyone else) convert your kms into miles and then after getting the amount convert into CDN $ after?
FVWVWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:06   #41
Bahamut
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWVWF View Post
Are you sure?
I have a 2012 with Fender and 105,000 kms...using that calculator I got $26,300 CDN.
Did you (or anyone else) convert your kms into miles and then after getting the amount convert into CDN $ after?
Oho! I did convert to miles, but the resulting amount was not converted back into CDN$. Thanks for the tip!

But, and this is a decently-sized "but", when we were issued the VW owner loyalty cards, it was not converted from US $ to CDN $: everyone got the same $1,000 regardless of where they were. In my current state of mistrust of VW, and believe me when I say I have plenty of mistrust for them, I somehow think they might try the same trick with a settlement up here (if we see one at all).
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:09   #42
FVWVWF
Veteran Member

Quote:
Oho! I did convert to miles, but the resulting amount was not converted back into CDN$. Thanks for the tip!

But, and this is a decently-sized "but", when we were issued the VW owner loyalty cards, it was not converted from US $ to CDN $: everyone got the same $1,000 regardless of where they were. In my current state of mistrust of VW, and believe me when I say I have plenty of mistrust for them, I somehow think they might try the same trick with a settlement up here (if we see one at all).
True...but I really doubt they would give us Canadians, US trade-in/retail/bluebook/whatever values. We paid in CDN...we should get paid in CDN as well.
But if not...ya'll see me on the news.
FVWVWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:26   #43
Bahamut
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWVWF View Post
True...but I really doubt they would give us Canadians, US trade-in/retail/bluebook/whatever values. We paid in CDN...we should get paid in CDN as well.
But if not...ya'll see me on the news.
Absolutely agree with you: we need to see the same level of compensation and it should be in CDN.

Let's wait until July 29th and then get the pitchforks ready. If the car only needs to be driveable, I'll take the front bumper off and mount it on a stake (Lord of the Flies style): won't accomplish much, but it will make me feel better.

I guess I'm really, really ticked at VW not so much because they pulled this ridiculous stunt in the first place, but because they have been so lackluster in their response. Even more than that, I'm ticked because they sold a car in Canada that should not have been sold in the first place, and a car that I absolutely love driving...makes the thought of giving it up and having it potentially be crushed more upsetting...less upsetting than the thought of having it "fixed" and subsequently neutered in one way or another though.
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:29   #44
tobianogreg
Veteran Member

I'm reluctant to say anything at this point (sheepishly cowed) but I expect Cdn values for the "trade in" figure will be somewhat elevated given that we typically pay more for vehicles.

redfaced Greg
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:51   #45
Bahamut
Veteran Member

Interesting point I was thinking about the other day too that would hopefully support us getting a decent settlement here: if you look at the percentage of sales of TDIs in comparison to overall population, we are nearly twice that of the U.S. (numbers from Google, with population as of 2014, and number of 2.0 TDIs sold rounded up).

U.S. (num 2.0 TDIs/population): 500,000/318,900,000 = 0.16%
Canada (num 2.0 TDIs/population): 100,000/35,160,000 = 0.28%

Note to any VW employees looking at these posts (we all know you are ): you get more attention per capita in Canada. Smarten up and treat us properly, or that will change.