www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old June 28th, 2016, 16:58   #1
Ursadorable

Default Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Since the primary thread is geared toward "US only" reparations for the 2.0L TDI model vehicles, I thought it would be nice to have a Canadian only thread for those in Canada waiting and watching to see what happens with our vehicles.

That said, VW Canada has updated their page today to reflect goings on.

http://www.vwemissionsinfo.ca/

Specifically - https://www.vwemissionsinfo.ca/news/...-tdi-vehicles/

It looks like VW Canada aims to provide a progress update to Canadian Courts on or before July 29, 2016
Ursadorable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 17:30   #2
dwfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: golf 2006 Ave. 52 mpg (imp) on 330,000 km

Got this today in an email

NOTICE: STATUS OF PROPOSED NATIONAL CLASS ACTIONS RELATED TO EMISSIONS CERTIFICATION AND COMPLIANCE OF VOLKSWAGEN AND AUDI DIESEL VEHICLES FROM MODEL YEARS 2009 TO 2016

Please Read this Notice Carefully.

Status of the Canadian Proceedings
Among a number of proceedings commenced across Canada on October 22 2015, a proposed pan-Canadian class action was commenced in Ontario and on September 22 2015, a Quebec Class action was commenced in Quebec, both alleging that certain Volkswagen and Audi companies (the “Volkswagen and Audi Defendants”) manufactured and/or installed emissions control devices, including alleged “Defeat Devices”, in certain Volkswagen and Audi vehicles with diesel engines (the “Class Actions”). Case Management Judges have been appointed in the Class Actions in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the Superior Court of Quebec (the “Courts”).

The Affected Vehicles
In the Class Actions, the Plaintiffs are seeking remedies in respect of all affected vehicles in all provinces and territories in Canada. The affected vehicles are as follows:
DIESEL MODEL MODEL YEARS (INCLUSIVE) Volkswagen Jetta 2009 - 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon 2009 Volkswagen Golf 2010 - 2013, 2015 Volkswagen Passat 2012 - 2015 Volkswagen Beetle 2013 - 2015 Volkswagen Golf Wagon 2010 - 2014 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagon 2015 Audi A3 2010 - 2013, 2015 Audi A6, A7, A8, Q5 2014 – 2016 Audi Q7 2009 – 2015 Volkswagen Touareg 2009 - 2016

You have received this Notice either because you are a past or current owner or lessee of an affected vehicle, or because you have expressed interest in the Class Actions. Receipt of this Notice does not mean that you are a Class Member.

Negotiations
The Plaintiffs and the Volkswagen and Audi defendants (“the Parties”) are in discussions about potential settlement and remedies relating to the affected vehicles in Canada.

On or before July 29, 2016, the Courts will receive an update on settlement discussions.

Nothing is required from you at this time and you do not need to hire your own lawyer.

If the Parties reach a settlement, the terms of the settlement will be made public and notice of the settlement will be provided. In the case of a settlement, a Class will be defined and members of the Class will have an opportunity to object to the settlement, as well as an opportunity to remove themselves from (or “opt-out” of) the settlement.

Where to Get More Information
If you have any questions about the status of the Class Actions in which these negotiations are taking place, please visit: volkswagenclassaction.com (all provinces except Quebec) or recourscollectif.info (Quebec residents only). For further information about how the Volkswagen and Audi Defendants have been responding to the allegations in the Class Actions, please consult www.vwemissionsinfo.ca or www.audiemissionsinformation.ca.

Status of the U.S. Proceeding
Similar class actions have also been filed in the U.S., and a consolidated multidistrict litigation (“MDL”) is currently pending in Federal Court in San Francisco. In the MDL, the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, and certain of the Volkswagen and Audi Defendants, have requested preliminary court approval of a class action settlement for 2 litre engine affected vehicles in the U.S.

The terms of that settlement can be found on the U.S. court’s website at www.cand.uscourts.gov/crb/vwmdl. A hearing to consider whether the U.S. Federal Court will preliminarily approve the U.S. class action settlement is scheduled for July 26, 2016.

PUBLICATION OF THIS NOTICE HAS BEEN AUTHORIZED BY THE ONTARIO SUPERIOR COURT OF JUSTICE

dwfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 17:58   #3
BigWorm
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Thx for creating this thread. Hopefully we can find out what we will be recieving for our cars.
BigWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 18:22   #4
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

I notice the information provided in the links in post #1 make no mention of buy backs in Canada, only repairs.

Repairs are of no interest unless it comes with a suitcase full of cash to compensate for turning the car into a diesel-guzzling slug.
Old June 28th, 2016, 19:11   #5
SylQuebec

TDI(s): JEtta 2009

This will be crap if we only get repair because our car will sold for nothing after this...so much people will want to sold there car, the value will continue to decrease really fast. I hope by repair, they mean repair for the owner $$
SylQuebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 20:21   #6
tobianogreg
Veteran Member

I suspect our (Canadians') problem may be that the maximum fine VW faces here in Canada is $6 mill plus the potential loss of profit from each car 2009-15 TDI's and Audis (if our government even pursues this). So the costs associated with buy-backs greatly exceed any fine.

VW has not offered the rest of the planet any compensation whatsoever.
tobianogreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 20:36   #7
delta18

Also still no information on what will happen to those of us with imported vehicles. I plan to call VW and see what they say.
delta18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 20:45   #8
tobianogreg
Veteran Member

Posted here for relevance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNS View Post
Depends on which side of Thomas Tetzlaff's mouth you believe:

April - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle29710515/

"“Rest assured that what happens in the U.S. will be mirrored in Canada,” Mr. Tetzlaff said."

Today - https://www.thestar.com/business/201...ent-in-us.html

"“Our hope is to provide remedies to Canadians on pace with U.S. customers,” Volkswagen Canada spokesman Thomas Tetzlaff said in an email.

He said, however, that settlement details coming out of the U.S. court proceeding may not apply to Canada, although they will be a consideration for the Canadian discussions."
Info re CA class action here.

Last edited by tobianogreg; June 28th, 2016 at 21:35. Reason: Class action link added
Old June 28th, 2016, 21:54   #9
buyingconstant7
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.7l/100km(winter) 5.0l/100km(summer)

Honestly, I'm 100% confident we'll be following the USA's way. We did it for the initial owner credit package, we'll do it again. I'm thinking their numbers are a bit high though, for buy back rates(which for us is good, I guess), because I bought my 2013 Jetta TDI at market value in September($22,500). And now, the USA is being quoted for my exact car, for $23,500, so with the CAD conversion, it'll be a bit higher for me. This doesn't make sense...Either way, I'm excited to see what happens, and a little impatient, since now I have to wait even longer to get that 2016 GTI I've been wanting for a year, now. Hurry up VW!
Old June 28th, 2016, 22:41   #10
tobianogreg
Veteran Member

We paid 26k for the same car new so I'm thinking the US numbers are low. What is Canadian conversion?
Old June 28th, 2016, 22:46   #11
haunruh
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42.6 mpg Cdn (= 35.5 US) mostly city

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobianogreg View Post
We paid 26k for the same car new so I'm thinking the US numbers are low. What is Canadian conversion?
If it is like the lovely "Goodwill" package, there will be no conversion.
2003 Chevy 2500HD 6.6L Duramax/Allison PPE Programmer
1969 Mercury Cougar Eliminator (original owner) website: http://harrya.webs.com
haunruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 23:03   #12
tobianogreg
Veteran Member

I penciled mine out to $21,767. If we can recover taxes etc things might look a little better but the actual taxable price of the car is low ball.
Old June 29th, 2016, 05:40   #13
Ursadorable

Considering my VW dealership is selling used 2.0 TDI's still, I'm going to head over this weekend and see what they'll offer me for mine.
Ursadorable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 06:02   #14
joey003
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post
Considering my VW dealership is selling used 2.0 TDI's still, I'm going to head over this weekend and see what they'll offer me for mine.
I'm expecting a new vehicle this fall, I've checked with a few dealers what they would offer for my 11 Jetta TDI highline. It was pretty dismal for a trade in - $5500 to $6500, where the US equivalent buyback value is $17K

I'm really hoping we get some sort of buyback in Canada as well.
joey003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 06:23   #15
Steve Ferrous
Veteran Member

We're going to get a VW toque and a travel mug.