www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old November 21st, 2017, 18:23   #1036
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrmax04 View Post
Do I get the $5161. Modification also?
No, you get the buyback amount if you sell the car back, or the modification amount if you have it fixed (which you can't do at this point, as there's no fix approved for your car). One or the other, not both.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW, 2013 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Jetta Sedan, 2015 Audi A3
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 18:38   #1037
silvrmax04

Yes the restitution is built in. So it is really only worth 11k? It lost 2/3 it value in 3 yrs (going of 2015 value) with 114k miles on a diesel. Doesn’t seem right to me.
2004 Duramax 2500
2002 PSD Excursion
silvrmax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 23:15   #1038
surfstar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrmax04 View Post
Yes the restitution is built in. So it is really only worth 11k? It lost 2/3 it value in 3 yrs (going of 2015 value) with 114k miles on a diesel. Doesn’t seem right to me.
How much would you pay for a used car, 5 (just about 6 now) years old, with 114k miles on it?

More than 11k?

I sure wouldn't.
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 06:22   #1039
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfstar View Post
How much would you pay for a used car, 5 (just about 6 now) years old, with 114k miles on it?
Well, it's the value as of September 2015, so call it 4 years old (MY2016 was out by then). But it's also the trade-in value, not the retail or even private-party value.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW, 2013 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Jetta Sedan, 2015 Audi A3
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2018, 13:59   #1040
WLV

TDI(s): 2015 A3 TDI

Using the FTC tables, my buyback for my 2015 A3 is about $1,500 higher than the VW website indicates.

This is taking into account all variables, including navigation, and excess mileage.

Does anyone know why there is this discrepancy? The VW person I spoke to said their numbers are correct. I do know that the FTC tables say that the 2015 A3 numbers were only approximate. Is this why?
WLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 14:02   #1041
TDIforDays
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLV View Post
Using the FTC tables, my buyback for my 2015 A3 is about $1,500 higher than the VW website indicates.
This is taking into account all variables, including navigation, and excess mileage.
Does anyone know why there is this discrepancy? The VW person I spoke to said their numbers are correct. I do know that the FTC tables say that the 2015 A3 numbers were only approximate. Is this why?
Tables are wrong. VW Website is correct.
TDIforDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 11:15   #1042
SRTopDog

Default Just finished up....

So we just turned in our 2013 TDI Passat SEL Premium with just over 58,000 miles on it. We had purchased on June 4th of 2016, before the penalties became defined.

Bought the car for $18,000 with 43,005 miles on it in almost new condition....Bought back for $26,557.96 and returned in same condition with more just miles on it. Returned it on Monday April 9th at 3:30 PM. Done thru an agent at the dealership and a person remote connected from VW via iPad. Whole process took about 45 minutes. They had me start, and move the car forward and backward about ten feet. The remote connected guy actually apologized for this happening to us. No pressure to consider another VW product.

Received our electronic funds transfer on Thursday morning very early AM.

Very pleased with how it went. Cross shopped the 4 cyl and 6 cyl SEL Premium Passat, new Accord Touring 1.5 and 2.0T, and the Subaru Legacy LTD 6 cyl. Only cars with Apple CarPlay...so no new Camry.

Most impressed with the Legacy. Bought a new fresh off the production line 2018 Legacy 3.6R Limited absolutely loaded and with the accessory package we customized.

Have driven it about 300 miles now, and the Eyesight and Adaptive Cruise Control are absolutely amazing in how organic they work. On the way home from the dealership, I got caught in stop and go where interstate went from three lanes to one due to an accident, and the adaptive cruise control made the whole traffic experience almost stress free, except for the time delay. I dread the onslaught of autonomous driving cars, but this interim technology is wonderful.

Just my experience....
SRTopDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2018, 15:09   #1043
PC Dave
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Other

Once the settlement was approved, I pretty much ignored it for a couple of years, figuring I'd enjoy driving a car I like (2012 JSW 6MT) for free. I did go online and register my car for the buyback in 2016 (I think?) when we were supposed to, so I'm in the system. It's about time to check in on the buyback process (and decide how far to try to stretch my rapidly wearing Pilot Sports).

My understanding is that a buyback has to be "claimed" by September 1st - is that correct? Do you call VW at the designated number and register the "claim" that way, or can you go to a local dealer?

My understanding is also that the buyback has to be completed by 12/31/18 -is that correct? How long is the lag between making the claim, and getting an appointment to turn the car in?

Finally, I just went through the excellent buyback calculator that's been linked a few times in the last few pages. Is that number accurate? Has anyone had any issues getting the calculated amount from VW?

Thanks for any answers, they're much appreciated.
PC Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2018, 20:16   #1044
jesus_man
Veteran Member

My tires were in pretty bad shape as well. They, with the steel wheels raised some question, but it still went thru. I do believe the 1 Sept. is the deadline. Getting an appointment at the dealer is a minimum of two weeks. The process has to be done online or by calling the number listed on the site. Then you pick the dealer, schedule the appt. and show up. My numbers were accurate, you just have to be within the stated mileage range and no other major surprises.

And just today (about 5 weeks later) I presumably got my check from Bosch, although I have not opened the letter.

2009 JSW TDI DSG - sold back to VW
2002 VW Passat Wagon, 6spd, silver Family hauler! - Euro Spec

2006 Jetta TDI Bought 6/25/06 (traded in 10/2009 @ 43mpg
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2018, 11:13   #1045
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Dave View Post
<snip>
My understanding is that a buyback has to be "claimed" by September 1st - is that correct? Do you call VW at the designated number and register the "claim" that way, or can you go to a local dealer?
My understanding is also that the buyback has to be completed by 12/31/18 -is that correct? How long is the lag between making the claim, and getting an appointment to turn the car in?
Finally, I just went through the excellent buyback calculator that's been linked a few times in the last few pages. Is that number accurate? Has anyone had any issues getting the calculated amount from VW?
<snip
To address your questions, in order:
1. If by "claimed" you mean go online and register, yes. You can't do it on the phone, and don't go to a dealer, they have nothing to do with it. I guess doing it all by snail-mail is possible, but I wanted nothing to to with that. I did it all online over a year ago, sent in a .jpg of the title and notarized statement, etc. All that remains for me to do is (see #2 below).
2. Correct. Having registered, all I have to do is go back online and select a turn-in date, and go through with it. That will be sometime later this year. We will begin car shopping in June, and expect to be done with that in a month, since there aren't really that many cars that fit our needs and desires, our list being surprisingly close to the one given by "SRTopDog" in an earlier post. At some convenient time after the car we want becomes available, I'll set up the turn-in appointment.
3. All buyback calculators I have used give me the same results (including the VW one on the web site), so I'm thinking they are correct. I also went through the legal-speak in the settlement on this subject, and AFAIK it lines up with what the calculators are spitting out.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2018, 11:25   #1046
jesus_man
Veteran Member

My check from Bosch was $175. I was expecting $350?? Or did I misunderstand something?

2009 JSW TDI DSG - sold back to VW
2002 VW Passat Wagon, 6spd, silver Family hauler! - Euro Spec

2006 Jetta TDI Bought 6/25/06 (traded in 10/2009 @ 43mpg
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2018, 16:25   #1047
PC Dave
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
My check from Bosch was $175. I was expecting $350?? Or did I misunderstand something?
Thanks for your answers in your previous posts, explains a lot. I'm in the system, sounds like I just need to get all the docs uploaded and approved, and there's no relationship between doing that (and getting accepted) and the date of the turn-in, i.e. I can upload docs next week but not turn the car in until October or November.

I bought one new Pilot Sport at Costco the other day (the replaced tire was worn to the cords - poor alignment), I should have 10k miles left on the rest. That's probably the gating factor for me - I'll turn the car in when the tires are unusable, I'm not going to pay for a new set.
PC Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2018, 11:39   #1048
vwshah

Hi - Using the FTC table and calculator on https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/ I get $30,416 for my 2015 Golf TDI SEL with 0-5000 mileage adjustment bracket.

However, VW website is only calculating $29,593 and that's the offer I got.

Is there a reason to believe something is amiss or just the FTC tables are off by almost $1000 for 2015 Golf TDI SEL? Should I appeal?

Thanks
vwshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 20:04   #1049
TDIforDays
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwshah View Post
Hi - Using the FTC table and calculator on https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/ I get $30,416 for my 2015 Golf TDI SEL with 0-5000 mileage adjustment bracket.

However, VW website is only calculating $29,593 and that's the offer I got.

Is there a reason to believe something is amiss or just the FTC tables are off by almost $1000 for 2015 Golf TDI SEL? Should I appeal?

Thanks
VW offer is always correct. Your appeal will go nowhere. Have fun!
TDIforDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 08:53   #1050
vwshah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIforDays View Post
VW offer is always correct. Your appeal will go nowhere. Have fun!
Thanks for replying. I figured it would be ok based on the formula and the fact that FTC table lists 2015 amount as approximation. But figured I would seek advice based on other experiences to be sure.
vwshah is offline   Reply With Quote