www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old January 11th, 2017, 06:06   #46
MER

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcorider View Post
Update: I got a call back from 1-866-881-2292. The lady on the phone said the lawyers are re-negotiating the settlement with VW Canada to include cases like ours. She took my information name, address , VIN etc. and added it to her database. Hoping for the best!
The 1-866-881-2292 rings at Rochon Genova LLP one of the law firms involved in the settlement. Mine is a 2011 Golf Sportwagen (Jetta Sportwagen in US) imported from USA in 2012. The lady who answered the phone at X297 asked for name, VIN, mileage etc.
The more imported TDI owners calling, the higher the chances to get included in the settlement.
MER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 14:05   #47
norcorider

Just to keep this thread alive, I got a call from another lawyer firm I left voicemail with. She said they are going to try to file another class action for non-Canadian vehicles. But will be dealing with current ongoing settlement first. There is nothing else we can do at the moment other than wait. Also, she said they have received 4 calls so far. We have a long road ahead of us I feel.

Last edited by norcorider; January 13th, 2017 at 14:10.
norcorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 08:30   #48
Reactorface

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujet View Post
Hi all, I am in the same situation, imported into Canada my Sportwagen 2011 that was bought new from Chris Farnham.
I was about to send the paperform for the US settlement, which I really do no see where it states it is not for non-Amercian owners... Anyhow, I will call the 1-866-881-2292 to see if I get the same answer as norcorider got. Bottom line, it is VW USA that sold me a fraudulent vehicle, I do not see why it should be to VW Canada to resolve this and even less, it is not because I took the car out of the US that I waived my rights...
BTW if you look at page 5 of 24 of the paper version of the claim form, there is the possibility of entering canadian adresses as a mailing address.
I would still like to get someone to show me where it says reserved to US resident or US registered cars. I would really like to get a US lawyer point of view.
In order to get more manpower on this, we should get a registered list of owners in our situation. Somekind of GSheet with our vin's, names, if you got the godwill package or not (this is not related but sitting in front of a judge, it may open the door to some discussions...) if yes from US or Canada.
I noticed in the Schedule F of the class action settlement agreement find here: https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/en/ that some have initiated action on their own against other levels of VW... But no way I can look at all of this on my own if it's because they have issues as ours!
this may clear things up ....or not .......i,m not a lawyer but it,s clear to me that i am ineligible for either settlement

or if you purchased a U.S. car imported into Canada you would also be S.O.L.

from U.S. settlement eligibility docs:

Your vehicle does not need to be currently registered to be eligible. In order for the vehicle to be eligible, it must have been registered in the U.S. at some point between September 18, 2015 and June 28, 2016, but the registration need not have been in your name. In order for you to be eligible, you must have registered the vehicle in your name at some point after September 18, 2015.

it was not!

from Canadian settlement eligibility docs:

It must have been originally sold, or leased
from VW Credit Canada, Inc., also known
as Volkswagen Finance and Audi
Finance (“VCCI”), in Canada;

it was not!
Reactorface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 16:02   #49
mcjvw

I called 1-866-881-2292 and gave the all the info about my US 2013 Jetta Sportwagen that I imported to Canada in 2013. They're looking at starting legal action for all these vehicles. The more that sign up, the better!
I still have an inquiry pending with the US counsel about some information I received from the US settlement hotline. They told me I could re-import the vehicle into USA, get new US registration and supply those documents to file my claim in USA. I haven't pursued this yet because I want confirmation from counsel before I try it. I'd happily take the US cash at the current exchange rate, but don't want to get in hot water with them or the states either.. I'll update once I hear back.
mcjvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 16:53   #50
Reactorface

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjvw View Post
I called 1-866-881-2292 and gave the all the info about my US 2013 Jetta Sportwagen that I imported to Canada in 2013. They're looking at starting legal action for all these vehicles. The more that sign up, the better!
I still have an inquiry pending with the US counsel about some information I received from the US settlement hotline. They told me I could re-import the vehicle into USA, get new US registration and supply those documents to file my claim in USA. I haven't pursued this yet because I want confirmation from counsel before I try it. I'd happily take the US cash at the current exchange rate, but don't want to get in hot water with them or the states either.. I'll update once I hear back.
unless Ive missed something i don't believe you will be eligible as per the requirements layed out in the US settlement

Your vehicle does not need to be currently registered to be eligible. In order for the vehicle to be eligible, it must have been registered in the U.S. at some point between September 18, 2015 and June 28, 2016, but the registration need not have been in your name. In order for you to be eligible, you must have registered the vehicle in your name at some point after September 18, 2015.
Reactorface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2017, 15:47   #51
BCCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcorider View Post
Just to keep this thread alive, I got a call from another lawyer firm I left voicemail with. She said they are going to try to file another class action for non-Canadian vehicles. But will be dealing with current ongoing settlement first. There is nothing else we can do at the moment other than wait. Also, she said they have received 4 calls so far. We have a long road ahead of us I feel.
Norcorider and MER: Thank you for your postings. Make that 5 calls. I'll be calling the lawyer you have listed on Monday, Jan. 23rd, 2017 to add me to the list of US VW TDIs that were imported into Canada. ("The 1-866-881-229 at Rochon Genova LLP one of the law firms involved in the settlement. X297) I have a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI purchased in Spokane, WA in Dec 2013 and imported into Canada shortly thereafter.

If we all need to speak to the lawyer at the same time to achieve a positive outcome for all, please let me know.
BCCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 13:47   #52
andrewface

I am in the same boat. I have a US VIN which is now registered in Canada. I'll be calling the number that was provided tomorrow.
andrewface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 09:24   #53
turbowhistle

I am also in the same boat. Applied for and received the $1000USD goodwill cards, but my buyback application on the US VW Claim site was rejected. I have left my information with Rochan Genova LLP the Canadian law firm handling cases like ours at 1-866-881-2292.

Last edited by turbowhistle; February 1st, 2017 at 12:24.
turbowhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 12:49   #54
norcorider

Thanks guys! Lets keep calling the lawyers. If the list keeps growing, maybe they will pursue VW to take some action in our interest.
Old February 10th, 2017, 11:39   #55
turbowhistle

Default CBC Story

We are in the news:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ment-1.3972600
turbowhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 12:34   #56
norcorider

Another one :

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/t...wner-1.3979011
Old March 4th, 2017, 17:18   #57
tdigirl_ontario

I just wanted to add my two cents. I imported my US TDI Jetta Sportwagen to Ontario from Massachusetts in August of 2014. I am a US citizen and currently a temporary resident of Canada (work permit). I had kept copies of all paperwork (Mass title, etc) and was told by VW's claims helpline to just upload everything I had (old copies from US and current registration/title here in Canada, copies of old insurance and current insurance in Canada, etc). I have had no issues....everything was processed quickly and without any extra concerns or anything....buyback is scheduled in two weeks. Of course I have to reimport to US, etc.....but our situation is unique here in Canada (in terms of temporary status) and who knows what will happen at the border. Just wanted to share my story in case from this side of the border was in a similar situation and hadn't tried to push the buyback forward on the US site. I'll keep you posted with what happens in a couple of weeks!
tdigirl_ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 09:41   #58
norcorider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdigirl_ontario View Post
Of course I have to reimport to US, etc.....
VWoA rep did tell me that I have to reimport to US to be eligible for US settlement, but that is not a feasible option for me. BTW, how much will end up costing you in total for importing to Canada and re-importing to US?
Old March 12th, 2017, 10:56   #59
jtowndub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourplay View Post
Re-importing costs $0.

If you import a US car to Canada and then return that car back to the US, you don't have to pay any duty whatsoever, as long as the original NHTSA/DOT and EPA labels are still affixed. You just drive the car across the border and re-register it in your state using the HS-7 form (check box 2A).

My second car is an Audi RS4 that was originally sold in the US, imported to Canada, and then I bought it in Saskatchewan and re-imported it to the US last year. No cost and very straightforward.
Fourplay, I'm in the same situation as you were with your RS4, but with my TDI. Original US vehicle, imported to Canada, I purchased and am now considering re-importing to the US. Can we walk me through the exact process you had to follow to import? No stop at CBP with import paperwork? Just head to your local DMV and fill out HS-7?

For others, has anyone been successful in re-importing a US TDI back into the country and then achieving buyback?
jtowndub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 06:44   #60
ecode
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Mk6 Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowndub View Post
For others, has anyone been successful in re-importing a US TDI back into the country and then achieving buyback?
Believe your car needed to be registered in the US between the date the scandal broke and the date the pre-approved settlement was announced (September 18 2015 and June 28 2016) in order to qualify.
ecode is offline   Reply With Quote