www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old December 20th, 2016, 13:33   #31
Rubbertree

Thanks Delta18...I'm going to call back (when I can get through again) and try and clarify specifically whether the car has to be registered specifically on Jan 4 2017 or if it was enough to be registered at one point in time between Sept 2015 and Jan 4 2017. I'm hoping for the latter but we'll see.
Rubbertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2016, 09:46   #32
delta18

You're at least lucky you didn't import yours until after the scandal broke. I imported my golf in March 2015 and it has been registered in the US ever since.
delta18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2016, 10:06   #33
Armby
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertree View Post
Just a quick update...
I spoke with the VW settlement hotline and was told that I would be ineligible for the settlement because although the car was registered in Canada in Sept 2015, it was not registered "through" Jan 4 2017.
I'm hoping this is a language barrier thing ...
If it was the Canadian hotline you were talking to that is incorrect. In question E of the Long Form Notice (Exhibit 3 of the Canadian Settlement) "Is my car an Eligible Vehicle" it says:
It must have been originally sold, or leased from VW Credit Canada, Inc., also known as Volkswagen Finance and Audi Finance (“VCCI”), in Canada;

It must have been registered in Canada at any point from September 18, 2015 through January 4, 2017;
No requirement for it to be registered on Jan 4.

Was your TDI bought in Canada?

Last edited by Armby; December 21st, 2016 at 10:11.
Armby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2016, 10:20   #34
Rubbertree

Delta18, it's true... I may be lucky. My vehicle left Canada in July but my registration in Canada was completed in June so I assume was good until June 2016. I'm working with mto now to get a copy of my registration history.
Armby, this is the big point of contention. The lady I spoke with (on the Canadian side) said that because the line says "THROUGH Jan 4," I may be ineligible as my car will not be registered at that time. I agree with you... The phrase "at any point" makes me think I am okay. We'll have to wait until April when the application comes out to find out for sure.
The car was purchased in Canada and is a Canadian car but was imported to the US in July 2015.
Rubbertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2016, 10:34   #35
Armby
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Golf

You may want to double check what the actual settlement agreement says. There is a warning in the footer of the long form that says "if there is a conflict between this notice and the settlement, the settlement applies"
Armby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 00:41   #36
norcorider

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta18 View Post
Another update. Doesn't look good.

So Despite being told on two different occasions by people working at the VW customer care TDI line that my car would be eligible because it was registered in the US. Today when I spoke to them they had changed their tune.

Now I have been told that no in fact that is incorrect my car is not eligible because it was not sold in the US and that I would have to contact VW Canada for their settlement.

Which is a bit of a joke because VW Canada does not have even a settlement proposal on the table yet.

My concern here is that I will be stuck in the same situation I was with the Goodwill package (only worse) where VWoA told me I wasn't eligible because my car was purchased in Canada and VWoC told me I wasn't eligible because my car was registered in the US.

Is there anyone on here with a TDI originally purchased in the US but registered in Canada who can let me know what you are going through? It seems like the reason they say my car isn't eligible is on page 8 of their settlement document and if you read that section then anyone with a car not registered in the US is also not eligible.

I wouldn't worry about this as much and would consider it a way to avoid having to get my car fixed or bought back but I live in CA...

Any other imported car owners feel like joining me in our own class action suit? I'm sure we could find a lawyer interested in taking the case.
I fall under this category. Bought in US and imported to Canada in 2013. Now since Canadian settlement is out, I am being told that I am not eligible for settlement in Canada as my car was bought in US. And I am not eligible in US cause my car was not registered in US on Sep 2015.
This is pathetic. I am going to call VWOA tomorrow to see what they have to say.
norcorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 09:59   #37
Reactorface

Default separate "Action"

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcorider View Post
I fall under this category. Bought in US and imported to Canada in 2013. Now since Canadian settlement is out, I am being told that I am not eligible for settlement in Canada as my car was bought in US. And I am not eligible in US cause my car was not registered in US on Sep 2015.
This is pathetic. I am going to call VWOA tomorrow to see what they have to say.
FYI. from V.W.class action lawyers

For those who may have been deemed ineligible for the current class action settlement due to importing an affected vehicle from the U.S. into Can. there will be a separate “action” for those who come forward. Call 1-866-881-2292 or 1-844-425-2934.
Reactorface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 09:59   #38
benficais

TDI(s): jetta 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactorface View Post
FYI. from V.W.class action lawyers
For those who may have been deemed ineligible for the current class action settlement due to importing an affected vehicle from the U.S. into Can. there will be a separate “action” for those who come forward. Call 1-866-881-2292 or 1-844-425-2934.
I have a 2009 Jetta TDI imported from the US in 2010 and I have had no luck yet on the US side VWGOA. My vin registers with the site but I am still waiting for a supervisor to contact me back after two tries already. I will try contacting the 1-800 numbers sometime next week and see what they say.
benficais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 09:31   #39
norcorider

I called both the numbers as posted by reactorface and left voicemails. Lets see if someone calls back.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 12:04   #40
norcorider

Update: I got a call back from 1-866-881-2292. The lady on the phone said the lawyers are re-negotiating the settlement with VW Canada to include cases like ours. She took my information name, address , VIN etc. and added it to her database. Hoping for the best!
Old January 5th, 2017, 11:50   #41
loujet
Veteran Member

Hi all, I am in the same situation, imported into Canada my Sportwagen 2011 that was bought new from Chris Farnham.
I was about to send the paperform for the US settlement, which I really do no see where it states it is not for non-Amercian owners... Anyhow, I will call the 1-866-881-2292 to see if I get the same answer as norcorider got. Bottom line, it is VW USA that sold me a fraudulent vehicle, I do not see why it should be to VW Canada to resolve this and even less, it is not because I took the car out of the US that I waived my rights...
BTW if you look at page 5 of 24 of the paper version of the claim form, there is the possibility of entering canadian adresses as a mailing address.
I would still like to get someone to show me where it says reserved to US resident or US registered cars. I would really like to get a US lawyer point of view.
In order to get more manpower on this, we should get a registered list of owners in our situation. Somekind of GSheet with our vin's, names, if you got the godwill package or not (this is not related but sitting in front of a judge, it may open the door to some discussions...) if yes from US or Canada.
I noticed in the Schedule F of the class action settlement agreement find here: https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/en/ that some have initiated action on their own against other levels of VW... But no way I can look at all of this on my own if it's because they have issues as ours!
Old January 6th, 2017, 06:28   #42
Ares
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta18 View Post
... and sue VW as an individual.
You will probably receive more compensation than the class action settlement if you have go this route, even with attorney fees. Think full refund of purchase price. I considered opting out; more effort, more risk, more reward. But the settlement was good enough.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 12:55   #43
norcorider

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujet View Post
Hi all, I am in the same situation, imported into Canada my Sportwagen 2011 that was bought new from Chris Farnham.
I was about to send the paperform for the US settlement, which I really do no see where it states it is not for non-Amercian owners... Anyhow, I will call the 1-866-881-2292 to see if I get the same answer as norcorider got. Bottom line, it is VW USA that sold me a fraudulent vehicle, I do not see why it should be to VW Canada to resolve this and even less, it is not because I took the car out of the US that I waived my rights...
BTW if you look at page 5 of 24 of the paper version of the claim form, there is the possibility of entering canadian adresses as a mailing address.
I would still like to get someone to show me where it says reserved to US resident or US registered cars. I would really like to get a US lawyer point of view.
In order to get more manpower on this, we should get a registered list of owners in our situation. Somekind of GSheet with our vin's, names, if you got the godwill package or not (this is not related but sitting in front of a judge, it may open the door to some discussions...) if yes from US or Canada.
I noticed in the Schedule F of the class action settlement agreement find here: https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/en/ that some have initiated action on their own against other levels of VW... But no way I can look at all of this on my own if it's because they have issues as ours!
if you see page 9 on this link , it says registered owner.
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en...m%20Notice.pdf
I asked about Canadian Mailing address to VW USA rep. They said its for people who moved to Canada after Sep 2015. Also if you try to submit claim online on US website , you cannot enter Canadian address except for mailing.
Let us know if you hear otherwise when you call VWoA.
Old January 10th, 2017, 12:37   #44
benficais

TDI(s): jetta 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcorider View Post
Update: I got a call back from 1-866-881-2292. The lady on the phone said the lawyers are re-negotiating the settlement with VW Canada to include cases like ours. She took my information name, address , VIN etc. and added it to her database. Hoping for the best!

I got a call back today as well and left my info with the law office from the same number. She said the lawyers are looking into people in the same boat as us.
benficais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 04:59   #45
norcorider

Btw, objection forms can now be downloaded from vwcanadasettlement.ca