www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old August 13th, 2016, 12:06   #16
Freeze Plug
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Happy With VW View Post
That is great news to hear.

Now I just need to find a southern neighbor in New York State that would like to buy my TDI, according to the online calculations my 13 Jetta TDI should get $21300 USD. I will sell to any American for $18300 USD. That's an easy $3000 pay day for the buyer
no one would ever do that due to 50% restitution payment reduction
Freeze Plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 14:54   #17
delta18

Another update. Doesn't look good.

So Despite being told on two different occasions by people working at the VW customer care TDI line that my car would be eligible because it was registered in the US. Today when I spoke to them they had changed their tune.

Now I have been told that no in fact that is incorrect my car is not eligible because it was not sold in the US and that I would have to contact VW Canada for their settlement.

Which is a bit of a joke because VW Canada does not have even a settlement proposal on the table yet.

My concern here is that I will be stuck in the same situation I was with the Goodwill package (only worse) where VWoA told me I wasn't eligible because my car was purchased in Canada and VWoC told me I wasn't eligible because my car was registered in the US.

Is there anyone on here with a TDI originally purchased in the US but registered in Canada who can let me know what you are going through? It seems like the reason they say my car isn't eligible is on page 8 of their settlement document and if you read that section then anyone with a car not registered in the US is also not eligible.

Quote:
(2) registered with a state Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent agency or held by bill of sale by a non-Volkswagen Dealer in the United States or its territories as of June 28, 2016; (3) for an Eligible Owner, is currently Operable or ceases to be Operable after the date set by the Court for consumers to opt out of the Class Action or the Effective Date, whichever is earlier; and (4) have not been modified pursuant to an Approved Emissions Modification. Eligible Vehicle excludes any Volkswagen or Audi vehicle that was never sold in the United States or its territories.
I wouldn't worry about this as much and would consider it a way to avoid having to get my car fixed or bought back but I live in CA...

Any other imported car owners feel like joining me in our own class action suit? I'm sure we could find a lawyer interested in taking the case.

Last edited by delta18; September 27th, 2016 at 08:42.
delta18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 16:29   #18
Airpizz6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta18 View Post

Any other imported car owners feel like joining me in our own class action suit? I'm sure we could find a lawyer interested in taking the case.
Suggest you pose your question on the Dieselgate Canadian Edition thread. And get ready to be blasted for invading their space.
Airpizz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 18:00   #19
GetMore
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.1/42.7/38.1

I know this does not help the American owners of Canadian cars, but it should (in my opinion) be good news for Canadians with American cars. They should be able to collect on the American Dieselgate Payout. (TM to come)
The VIN is part of the records.

I know it is possible that the lawyers could have messed that up, but from what delta18 said, it seems reasonable.
Old September 26th, 2016, 20:41   #20
delta18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMore View Post
I know this does not help the American owners of Canadian cars, but it should (in my opinion) be good news for Canadians with American cars. They should be able to collect on the American Dieselgate Payout. (TM to come)
The VIN is part of the records.

I know it is possible that the lawyers could have messed that up, but from what delta18 said, it seems reasonable.
In theory yes except that if they are being sticklers for the same passage they quoted me saying my car is not eligible this line might not make that possible.

[QUOTE =] (2) registered with a state Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent agency or held by bill of sale by a non-Volkswagen Dealer in the United States or its territories as of June 28, 2016;[/QUOTE]

This is why I worry that even though they are telling me to wait for the Canadian settlement that just like with the Goodwill program anyone with an imported car is screwed.
Old September 27th, 2016, 06:10   #21
chadbag
Veteran Member

Quote:
In theory yes except that if they are being sticklers for the same passage they quoted me saying my car is not eligible this line might not make that possible.

Quote:
(2) registered with a state Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent agency or held by bill of sale by a non-Volkswagen Dealer in the United States or its territories as of June 28, 2016;

This is why I worry that even though they are telling me to wait for the Canadian settlement that just like with the Goodwill program anyone with an imported car is screwed.

"State Department of Motor Vehicles or Equivalent Agency." I would think a provincial motor vehicle department is an "Equivalent Agency."
chadbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 08:42   #22
delta18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
"State Department of Motor Vehicles or Equivalent Agency." I would think a provincial motor vehicle department is an "Equivalent Agency."
Possibly. I would be curious to hear from someone with US VW that was imported to Canada and what answer they have gotten from VW.

I might post this very question over in the Canadian forum to see if anyone there is in this situation and can provide any insight.
Old September 27th, 2016, 12:09   #23
CDubber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
please take Celine Dion and Nickleback.... back....
Justin Bieber first!!!

CDubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 16:13   #24
Airpizz6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDubber View Post
Justin Bieber first!!!
Thank God there is only one Justin Bieber to deport. The real curse dropped on us from our friends to the north is the disgusting Canada goose. Responsible for more waste and pollution than any number of VWs.
Airpizz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 11:36   #25
sbt007

Same thing happened to me. 2014 Passat TDI purchased in Ontario, moved to California for work 2015. Imported the Passat, registered in CA. Using the letter provided by VWoA, I might add. In August, they said anyone registered here is covered. Now the lawyers are reading the fine print and saying no.
According to them, I should wait for the Canadian settlement. That seems dicey. The class action lawsuit seems to say "residents of any province"? And even if the car was eligible, will they import it back?

Quote:
Another update. Doesn't look good.

So Despite being told on two different occasions by people working at the VW customer care TDI line that my car would be eligible because it was registered in the US. Today when I spoke to them they had changed their tune.

Now I have been told that no in fact that is incorrect my car is not eligible because it was not sold in the US and that I would have to contact VW Canada for their settlement.

Which is a bit of a joke because VW Canada does not have even a settlement proposal on the table yet.

My concern here is that I will be stuck in the same situation I was with the Goodwill package (only worse) where VWoA told me I wasn't eligible because my car was purchased in Canada and VWoC told me I wasn't eligible because my car was registered in the US.

Is there anyone on here with a TDI originally purchased in the US but registered in Canada who can let me know what you are going through? It seems like the reason they say my car isn't eligible is on page 8 of their settlement document and if you read that section then anyone with a car not registered in the US is also not eligible.

I wouldn't worry about this as much and would consider it a way to avoid having to get my car fixed or bought back but I live in CA...

sbt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 13:35   #26
delta18

For those that care according to the VW lawyers in order for a VW TDI originally purchased in the US to be eligible it would have had to be registered in the US between Sept 18 and June 28th
Old December 19th, 2016, 13:54   #27
Rubbertree

So according to the "eligibility criteria" the car ...
" must have been registered in Canada at any point from September 18, 2015 through January 4, 2017; "
So from what I can tell...I'm about to get screwed by VW one more time.
Anybody else have thoughts on this?
Rubbertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 14:17   #28
Rubbertree

I'll try that when I return from the holidays and see what happens. I really hope that vw will step up by in not holding my breath. Either way I'll keep everyone posted in case you are in similar circumstances. Everyone else in my situation, please keep us informed if anything happens as well.
Old December 20th, 2016, 12:29   #29
Rubbertree

Just a quick update...
I spoke with the VW settlement hotline and was told that I would be ineligible for the settlement because although the car was registered in Canada in Sept 2015, it was not registered "through" Jan 4 2017.
I'm hoping this is a language barrier thing ...
Old December 20th, 2016, 12:56   #30
delta18

I'm thinking we are about to be screwed over again. I did speak to the US plaintiffs attorney about this a couple months ago and her only suggestion was to contact a law firm and sue VW as an individual.

I have no idea how many of us it would take to constitute a class action but if I go this route I will keep you posted.