www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old February 16th, 2016, 10:59   #1
delta18

Default Imported TDI's and 'dieselgate'

I, and I am sure others, am in an interesting situation as dieselgate unfolds.

I originally purchased my 2012 Golf in Canada and when I moved to the US for work in 2015 I imported my car. As was discussed here in another thread those of us with imported TDI's are not eligible for either Goodwill program.

This grey area with the Goodwill program makes me worry that whatever compensation, fix, buyback, etc. is decided upon by VW also won't apply to those of us with imported TDI's.

I thought I should start a thread for those of us who imported TDI's (either from Canada to the US as I did or from the US to Canada) to have some discussion about our unique situation.

One thing that has me worried is that part of the basis for a legal importation of a vehicle to the US is that it conforms to EPA standards (as indicated by the sticker under the hood). As we all now know the TDI does not conform to EPA standards. I worry that if the EPA really wants they could use this as justification to revoke my car's legal status in the US and force export. Given that the car also now does not conform to Canadian standards what then happens to my car?

Not sure what will happen but I hope we don't fall between the cracks like we did with the Goodwill program.

A bit tongue-in-cheek but if anyone in Canada has a comparable US TDI they want to trade let me know. It could solve both of our problems
delta18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 11:32   #2
hex_915

I would say a lawyer educated in the matter can answer all those questions
hex_915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 14:58   #3
dmarsingill
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34.5 mpg 135000 miles

It has not been officially announced that they don't meet standards. The EPA has said they are safe and legal to drive until further notice. Personally, I would just keep driving. You already have your importation papers......they won't take them back. It's now up to Nevada to decide whether your car is legal to register every year. I don't see that as a problem either.

Donald
dmarsingill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 15:32   #4
kydsid
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

If you legally imported the vehicle I see no reason why the result of an EPA action would not cover your vehicle. It would be treated the same as a safety recall.
Old February 16th, 2016, 16:19   #5
delta18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarsingill View Post
It's now up to Nevada to decide whether your car is legal to register every year. I don't see that as a problem either.
Except that I am moving to California next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
If you legally imported the vehicle I see no reason why the result of an EPA action would not cover your vehicle. It would be treated the same as a safety recall.
They may fix it sure, but will they honour the warranty on said fix? Any warranty from VW is not valid on imported cars.

If they end up doing a buyback will they buy back a Canadian VW in the US? Especially if a different solution is reached for Canada vs the US?

Given that I am not eligible for either Goodwill program I am also skeptical that I will be eligible for any compensation from VW.

If I end up having to take it back to Canada I doubt they will compensate me for the costs associated with re-importing the car and my expenses in getting it there.

You can see why those of us with imported cars may have a bit more to worry about than your average TDI owner.
Old February 16th, 2016, 16:48   #6
dmarsingill
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34.5 mpg 135000 miles

They may not have a solution by the time you move
dmarsingill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 08:23   #7
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

No one is going to take your car away. The import process hasn't changed because of dieselgate, it's business as usual.
Old February 24th, 2016, 05:01   #8
norcorider

I am in the same boat as OP. I moved to Canada from US and imported my 2013 Passat TDI via RIV process. I am not worried about not getting owners credit package as much as being in a limbo about actual fix. I certainly hope there is no buy back since I don't want a new car loan since I have already paid off Passat.
norcorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 17:05   #9
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

Canadians are moving to USA.... BUILD A WALL!!!

Seems like all the Canadian actors, comedians and singers end up in USA...

That is OK.... but....

please take Celine Dion and Nickleback.... back....

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; February 26th, 2016 at 17:07.
gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 18:16   #10
TDI smile
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post

Can't take Celine back, she is US Citizen now.
TDI smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 20:42   #11
delta18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post

Who will you give us in exchange
Old June 29th, 2016, 15:14   #12
delta18

Just wanted to bump this thread for discussion on this now that the settlement documents have been released.

Currently there is no information on the settlement site and if you own a Canadian VW like mine then you will get nowhere when you enter your VIN on the site.

As an added FYI, I phoned VW of America to ask about what will happen to imported TDI's like mine. Currently they have no information on what will happen. They say "if you go back to Canada there is no problem." I pointed out that I am not moving back to Canada anytime in the near future as I have a job in California and my car is registered there. I was told "I don't know you would have to ask VW of Canada."

I will wait until whatever the Canadian settlement is before I call VW of Canada.

I was wondering if there is anyone here with a US VW currently in Canada who has any information from VW of America what to do about their vehicle?

My big concern is that folks with imported VW's fell between the cracks for the goodwill program (as in we weren't able to get it). I really hope we don't fall into some no man's land in terms of the settlement.
Old August 12th, 2016, 15:35   #13
Rubbertree

I wanted to join this thread as I'm in the same boat as delta18. Canadian, moved to the US with my Jetta and now am getting nowhere with VW. I have called VW Canada countless times inquiring about the "Goodwill Package" only to be told that they have not yet come to a solution to the problem of cars in the US. I think it is pretty clear that there will not be a solution...at least not when it comes to the goodwill package.
Frankly...I don't see what the issue really is. Every American with my car got $1000. Every Canadian with my car got $1000...but because I'm a Canadian in America this simple issue somehow becomes insurmountable.
Interestingly I asked VW US what they did for US (military members mind you) owners that were out of country and they told me they simply cut them a cheque.
I'm hoping that there is more clarity when the final details of the buy back are announced.
Rubbertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2016, 17:19   #14
delta18

Update from today. I called VW and got through to someone in their special TDI settlement group. I was told that Canadian VW's that are registered in the US are eligible for the settlement. We still can't register online because the Canadian VIN comes up as ineligible but I was told that they are working on getting the VINs of Canadian vehicles registered in the US put into the system and that I should check back in 1 week. I will remain skeptical until I see it happen but at least this sounds promising.
Old August 12th, 2016, 18:10   #15
Not Happy With VW

TDI(s): Jetta TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta18 View Post
Update from today. I called VW and got through to someone in their special TDI settlement group. I was told that Canadian VW's that are registered in the US are eligible for the settlement. We still can't register online because the Canadian VIN comes up as ineligible but I was told that they are working on getting the VINs of Canadian vehicles registered in the US put into the system and that I should check back in 1 week. I will remain skeptical until I see it happen but at least this sounds promising.
That is great news to hear.

Now I just need to find a southern neighbor in New York State that would like to buy my TDI, according to the online calculations my 13 Jetta TDI should get $21300 USD. I will sell to any American for $18300 USD. That's an easy $3000 pay day for the buyer
Not Happy With VW is offline   Reply With Quote