www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 28th, 2002, 20:24   #1
njoverkill

Default Can I pump my own diesel in NJ?

If you don't get this question, don't bother answering [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (WE'RE NOT ALLOWED TO PUMP OUR OWN GASOLINE!!!) I heard that rules are different for diesel. TIA.
njoverkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 20:34   #2
Derrel H Green
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly
Default Re: Can I pump my own diesel in NJ?

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Duh, I get it! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

All kidding aside, I am of the opinion that you cannot, but I don't live or even go there, so I could be wrong. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I do know that you are not allowed to pump your own fuel in Oregon unless it is at a private keycard type operation. And it is my understanding that NJ may have patterned their law after Oregon's. Could be wrong here too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Rots of Ruck.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Derrel H Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 20:56   #3
xlr8

TDI(s): 2002, silver
Fuel Economy: 62/53/46 imp

It varies all over the place. Around here some stations let us pump our own [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , some don't. I tend to fill up at the stations where I can do it myself. There are also states like Oregon where it is illegal to have self serve [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] so you'll have to figure out what you have in your area and go for what works for you [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .
xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 21:04   #4
njoverkill

Well self serve gasoline is illegal EVERYWHERE in the entire state of NJ, even with the automated credit card pumps. If you get out and start pumping it yourself, they get quite angry. I'll have to check on diesel, I guess!!!

(I REALLY do not like people pumping my gas for me. It involves nothing but idiots overfilling the tank, spilling gas everywhere and placing the gas cap, FACE DOWN on the roof of my car.)
Old October 28th, 2002, 21:21   #5
car54
theGAME

diesel is not covered under that law, but they usually dont know that and will try and stop you. just tell them how it is, and they usually back down. if they dont, offer to hold off filling your car pending them calling the NJ state police... then they will really back down.
car54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 22:36   #6
Stizo

By the time the attendant gets around to you your tank will be full as they are so slow. I often pump my own fuel and I've rarely had anyone say anything to me. If the guy gets angry tell him to call the fuel police.
Stizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 22:58   #7
Viz

I don't know the statute number nor wording, but
it is legal to pump your own diesel in NJ. In fact, there are a number of fuel oil companies in the state that have 24 hour "self serve" diesel pumps operated by a "member" card that is swiped to unlock the pump and used for monthly billing. They can offer this service (mainly for truckers but lots of light truck and M-B and VW owners use this too) because the state statute prohibiting self serve gasoline pumping doesn't restrict diesel fuel.

I've been pumping my own diesel at NJ gas stations for over 20 years. I merely tell them if I don't pump it, I'm not buying. I've never had a problem. Most of the time I only need to use an in town pump given the range all of my diesels have.
Viz
Viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 23:47   #8
fishbone

Fuel Economy: 51/41/37

SHHHHHHHHH We haven t got that law in California Yet! Please don t give them anymore ideas. They
control enough on diesel already.
fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 06:25   #9
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

I normally let the attendant start it, and if I want to vent, I'll do it myself.

the Race Trac in Hackettstown has the best price $1.25 (might not be worth the hike though)
20IndigoBlue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 09:40   #10
ACHTUNG TDI
Veteran Member

Viz is correct. Only gasoline is subject to "full service" requirements. Diesel can be self service. I'm a member of the Diesel Club at Region Oil on Route 15 in Dover. They have Coastal Next Generation Diesel which is specified with a cetane index of 47. Prior to joining this Club I was able to pump my own diesel at several service stations.
ACHTUNG TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 10:00   #11
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

How much?
20IndigoBlue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 19:55   #12
Rammstein
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 92 D
Fuel Economy: 4.31/5.05/6.16

Quote by njoverkill:
Quote:
(I REALLY do not like people pumping my gas for me. It involves nothing but idiots overfilling the tank, spilling gas everywhere and placing the gas cap, FACE DOWN on the roof of my car.)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I work at a gas station downtown Montreal which is full serve. Your observation about people working in a gas station is generalized and incorrect.

I've been doing it for 4 years and I can tell you that I rarely overfill or spill.

I am the one who show "newbies" with TDI's how to vent and whole lot more.

Besides, I am finishing a technical degree in Mechanical engineering, so I don't think I'm a complete idiot either.

I didn't know that there were laws against self-serve; even more surprised that nobody went to court to make that change.

Here in Canada, it depends on the gas station; some are self-serve, others full serve and some have both.

Last but least, I'm not the kind of guy to get angry if somebody ask me to pump his (rarely her) own gas. Most of the time I'm real busy and if it can save a little time, why not?

People with TDI ask rarely though, they don't like to get dirty.

Finally to answer your question
njoverkill, you can go to the Flying J, which is located at: NJ, Carney's Point I-295 Exit 2C.

All Flying J are self-serve.

Happy fillings.

Rammstein.
Rammstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 23:57   #13
TurnpikeMan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45/35/30

Quote:
Originally posted by Rammstein:

njoverkill, you can go to the Flying J, which is located at: NJ, Carney's Point I-295 Exit 2C.

Happy fillings.

Rammstein.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry to say in the USA, New Jersey and Oregon have laws that you cannot pump your own GAS. We are not sure if you can pump your own diesel though!!
I usually let them start but i finish!! Happy medium! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
TurnpikeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 07:06   #14
njoverkill

Quote:
Originally posted by Rammstein:
Quote by njoverkill:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> (I REALLY do not like people pumping my gas for me. It involves nothing but idiots overfilling the tank, spilling gas everywhere and placing the gas cap, FACE DOWN on the roof of my car.)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I work at a gas station downtown Montreal which is full serve. Your observation about people working in a gas station is generalized and incorrect.

I've been doing it for 4 years and I can tell you that I rarely overfill or spill.

I am the one who show "newbies" with TDI's how to vent and whole lot more.

Besides, I am finishing a technical degree in Mechanical engineering, so I don't think I'm a complete idiot either.

I didn't know that there were laws against self-serve; even more surprised that nobody went to court to make that change.

Here in Canada, it depends on the gas station; some are self-serve, others full serve and some have both.

Last but least, I'm not the kind of guy to get angry if somebody ask me to pump his (rarely her) own gas. Most of the time I'm real busy and if it can save a little time, why not?

People with TDI ask rarely though, they don't like to get dirty.

Happy fillings.

Rammstein.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I make this generalization because it is true. Nearly every filler that I come across in NJ is careless. And I say, in NJ, because I pump my own gas everywhere else I go. It just so happens that right now, I drive a piece of crap car, so I don't care. They pull the filler out of the tank carelessly and let fuel spill wherever, on the ground and often times on the side of your car. If the gas cap has a cord on it, they will just let the cap hang down and more often times than not, the gas side of the cap will touch the paint, which can very easily take paint off. Then there the idiots who will just put the gas cap on the roof of your car? OK, that is just retarded. Usually unless you drive up in a $50,000 BMW, they don't care. Even then, they might not care because they have no incentive to give a crap. You have to yell at them DON'T TOP IT OFF otherwise they will round up $21.01 to $22. I would say I'd pump my own gas, but it is ILLEGAL in NJ and you get yelled at. Anyway, this is why I am excited to be able to pump my own diesel.
Old October 30th, 2002, 08:00   #15
Rammstein
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 92 D
Fuel Economy: 4.31/5.05/6.16

You are, indeed, very exited njoverkill.

People like you make me hate my part-time job.

Do you know that topping it off of a few cents doesn't hurt?

Of course I don't do it in the summer, but in winter who gives a damn?

You'll use this gas anyway, right?

Next time you fill up your piece of crap, start by saying "hi" to the attendant, instead of "fill it up"; be a sympathetic customer and not a son a *****, you'll get better service.

Happy fillings.

Rammstein.
Rammstein is offline   Reply With Quote