A little help needed with multiple (possibly related) faults

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
A little help needed with multiple faults. Rear bearing replacement.

2012 JSW TDI w/37k miles running perfectly, till last night. I had just filled up and stopped to grab a bite and then did some grocery shopping. On the way home the dash lights up like Christmas tree.

Low tire MIL
Airbag MIL
ABS MIL

I get home to my garage and check the messages on the MFD, 3 pages.
The car seems to be running ok and I interrupted a regen when I shut it off in the garage (second one today according to my wife).

1, Error: Airbag.
2, Fault: Stabilization Control (ESC).
3, Service in --- miles or in --- days. (I don't know why the numbers aren't displayed as I changed the oil and fuel filters two weeks ago and reset the service reminder then)

I scan with VCDS and here are the error codes.

Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 BJ HW: 1K0 907 379 BJ
Component: ESP MK60EC1 H31 0121
Revision: 00H31001
Coding: 114B600C492700FB880E06EA92200042B70000
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 7BDB1CC8FA2841E608-802E

2 Faults Found:

00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Right (G44)
003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100011
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 118
Mileage: 59565 km
Time Indication: 0
Freeze Frame:
Count: 0
Count: 32768
Count: 4608
Count: 85
Count: 51202
Count: 1
Count: 257

01325 - Control Module for Tire Pressure Monitoring (J502)
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100100
Fault Priority: 2
Reset counter: 119
Mileage: 59573 km
Freeze Frame:
Count: 3
Count: 12
Count: 12800
Count: 16390
Count: 49664
Count: 511

Address 15: Airbags (J234) Labels: 5K0-959-655.clb
Part No SW: 5K0 959 655 H HW: 5K0 959 655 H
Component: AirbagVW10G 013 0724
Serial number: 003GVRA0RD1%
Coding: 00003133
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_AirbaVW10SMEVW360 A01014
ROD: EV_AirbaVW10SMEVW360_SE36.rod
VCID: 3FA3A8D8A6B09DC664-806A

Seat occupied recognition:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 1KM 959 339 B HW: 1KM 959 339 B
Component: BF-Gewichtss. 006 0001
Serial number: ---0000R--00002G3J00

Crash sensor for side airbag; driver side:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 1KM 955 557 HW: 1KM 955 557
Component: S.Sens.Fahr.V H01 ----
Serial number: 3572MSME0B520365ZZZP

Crash sensor for side airbag; front passenger side:
Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 1KM 955 557 HW: 1KM 955 557
Component: S.Sens.Beif.V H01 ----
Serial number: 3582MSME14150465ZZZK

Crash sensor for side airbag; rear; driver side:
Component: S.Sens.Fahr.H --- ----
Serial number: 3511HSME17533129ZZZC

Crash sensor for side airbag; rear; passenger side:
Component: S.Sens.Beif.H --- ----
Serial number: 3521HSME3D1D3A29ZZZ-

Crash sensor for front airbag; driver side:
Component: F.Sens.Fahr --- ----
Serial number: 35527SME05580629ZZZB

Crash sensor for front airbag; front passenger side:
Component: F.Sens.Beif --- ----
Serial number: 35627SME07470629ZZZC

1 Fault Found:
9483008 - Seat Occupied Recognition
B10B3 00 [137] - Function Restriction due to Implausible Message(s)
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 119
Date: 2015.11.05
Time: 07:55:00

Address 44: Steering Assist Labels: 1Kx-909-14x-44.clb
Part No: 1K0 909 144 M
Component: EPS_ZFLS Kl. 70 3201
Revision: 00H20000
Shop #: WSC 02069 000 90108
VCID: 3449F7F457F64E9E89-8060

1 Fault Found:
01316 - ABS Control Module
013 - Check DTC Memory - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101101
Fault Priority: 3
Reset counter: 159
Date: 2015.11.05
Time: 07:54:45

Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 14.13 V
DU
Temperature: 28.0°C
RPM: 1510 /min
Speed: 77.0 km/h
Speed: 77.0 km/h

I'll be checking the right rear wheel's speed sensor this morn. Any other ideas?

TIA!

Last edited:

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Thses faults would seem to point to one component... ABS Module. Before I did much else I'd run VagCom and graph your ABS output at the right rear wheel in real time. (Actually I'd graph the outputs of all four corners.) I suspect that you'll see either no output or a very ragged output from one sensor as you drive down the road.

If correct, then most of the problems noted and perhaps all are related and logical. Tire pressure is monitored on a differential basis between wheel speeds. ABS will see two wheels turning at vastly differing speeds. Safety features such as airbags are speed dependent and use wheel rotations as an input.

In other words a waterfall effect. Each failed function relies on wheel speed data. Once a sensor fails then each component requiring speed data will flag and you'll be treated to a Christmas tree of colored warning lights.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I just took my wife to work and when I started the car I got the same error messages. But once I pulled out of the garage all the MILs went off. I got happy for about 60 seconds and then the ABS/ESC MIL came back, followed by the Low tire MIL and finally the Airbag MIL.

Crap. I'll be checking the Speed sensor first thing.

WalkingDrunken

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
Download the attached document on the GolfMKV* page. Don't click the link. I would have put it here but I don't know how to upload a file.

If you can't get it shoot me a PM and I'll e-mail it over to you.

Last edited:

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I pulled the RR wheel and had a look at the speed sensor wire. It looked fine, as did everything else in the area. I unplugged the sensor and applied some good contact cleaner. After putting everything back together I took the car for a spin. Same thing.

I connected my laptop using VCDS and logged the data from all four wheels. Sure enough the speed data from the RR wheel was erratic. Where the other 3 wheels were all exactly the same or within 1 or 2 of each other the RR wheel varied by as much as 20 at times. Other times is was right on the money.

What do you think, is it the speed sensor? Anyone have this part number or can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
New sensor time. Inexpensive and not difficult to change.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Seems like you all homed in on something. Just a comment when you get many faults from different areas it can be something else... like the ignition switch, with intermittent contacts, can trigger faults. Not in this case maybe, but put that in your hat.

Last edited:

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I'll be pulling the sensor and cleaning it. Easy to do and costs nothing. If that fixes my issue then great. If not I'll order a new sensor. I've looked online for the sensor and there's a bit of confusion (on my part) as to the part number. Front right, front left, rear right, rear left, TDI specific... Prices ranging from ~$40 to ~$100.

Anyone have the VW part number for the right rear speed sensor?

Edit: I believe I have the part number now. WHT003858.

Last edited:

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not advertising for anyone here... Just enter your vehicle make, model, and ABS Sensor in your browser. Go from there.

Beck Arnley ABS Speed Sensor - Rear Left
Click to Enlarge (Read reviews)
Sale Price: $47.23
Quantity:

(10) In Stock​

Part Number: 118768-05112024
Notes: ABS Wheel Speed Sensor
Position: Rear Left
Condition: New

Shipping Options:
Ground

This Product Fits the Following: Warehouse: B Vehicle • 2012 Volkswagen Jetta

Beck Arnley ABS Speed Sensor - Rear Right
Click to Enlarge (Read reviews)
Sale Price: $46.23
Quantity:

(4) In Stock​

Part Number: 118768-05112025
Notes: ABS Wheel Speed Sensor
Position: Rear Right
Condition: New

Shipping Options:
Ground

This Prod

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
As I said, I'm not an advertising agency. Purchase a good name brand, pay the best price, and be happy. You'll sooner or later find that messing with the present unit is a fool's errand. For the little time and effort involved you'll be far ahead to spend about $50 and put your problems behind you.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I'm starting to think that maybe the RR wheel bearing might be the culprit in this issue that I'm having with the RR speed sensor. For the last few months the right side of the car has been getting more and more noisy. I thought that maybe it was the tires wearing and I even had all 4 tires balanced at a shop that uses a Hunter Road Force machine (this seemed to help but maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part?). The tire that is in the RR position at the moment had a puncture repaired a while back and I thought that this could be the source of the noise too.

I connected up VCDS and took the car for a ride while graphing the data from the speed sensors. The dropouts from the RR speed sensor has a very definite frequency that seems to match the noise I'm hearing from that side. Hmmmm.

I guess if the new speed sensor doesn't fix the problem I'll be replacing the bearing/hub assembly.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
Replace the bearing anyway. You'll already be there. As for the ABS sensor, the bearing would have to be almost 100% failed in order to have much effect on the tone ring. You would almost certainly be aware of this.

Lift the rear wheel, grasp the tire, and attempt to chuck it back and forth. No chucking allowed. Rotate the wheel first with the tire on, then with it off. No hint of roughness or grinding allowed.

I've had several bearings go bad over my VW career. None have been catastrophic failures. Most have simply become noisy and none have ever failed to the point where the tone ring was affected. Be advised that you need to be prepared for a rear bearing change. The center retainer will be an absolute bear as a general rule and do not under any circumstances attempt to remove the caliper assembly without the proper wrench.

If your bearing has actually failed to the point where the tone ring has contacted the sensor, then the sensor must be considered bad. It's one of those "Catch-22" situations where attempting to save a few dollars will usually come back to bite.

Too bad you're not located in the Southern Tier here in NY. We'd put your scoot up on our lift, change out the bad stuff, and do a general nose to tail inspection of your car. Oh... And have time for some target shooting or maybe just swapping tall tales and outright lies.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Tone ring? Doesn't the ABS system on the Jetta use some sort of magnetic induction to count the wheel revs? I didn't see any tone rings when I bled the brakes and it seems that the sensor is positioned to read the info from the bearing.

I checked for play in the wheel/bearing and there is none, no roughness or grinding that I can detect either.

Is there a special wrench required to remove the caliper?

"Too bad you're not located in the Southern Tier here in NY. We'd put your scoot up on our lift, change out the bad stuff, and do a general nose to tail inspection of your car. Oh... And have time for some target shooting or maybe just swapping tall tales and outright lies. "

Yes, too bad. Sounds like the makings of a fine day.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4865756&postcount=1

a couple hints for tools that make getting that caliper off the rear easier (pretty sure yours has similar geometry and bolt interface)

the ratcheting breaker bar made it possible for me, as well as the proper 14 mm triple square socket and the wobble extension.

the front is a breeze in comparison. just a big hex head bolt, and you can turn the wheel so it is easy to get from the side of the car.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
Conrad...

Tone ring is part of the bearing in your vehicle. This is why I suggested that you consider replacing sensor and bearing. This especially if you're noticing noise associated with a failing bearing.

Rear caliper removal can be a bear. Take your time, use the correct tools, and be absolutely sure not to strip any hardware. As to the bearing retaining bolt, the biggest problem you'll likely encounter is removal. You might wish to hire an elephant to stand on your breaker bar. That, or use an impact wrench capable of the job.

VW recommends replacement of the bolt with the bearing change. In a pinch you can do without, but better to do it correctly. I don't have the torque specs readily available but it's not difficult to obtain the proper data.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Nord,

Thanks again for your advice. The sensor should be here tomorrow or Thursday. I'll replace that and order the bearing/hub assembly. If the old sensor is chewed up when I pull it I'll wait to replace the sensor and do the bearing and sensor at the same time.

In the meantime I'll get a 14 mm triple square socket needed. If the other tools are standard I have what I need. No elephant but I do have a 1/2" beaker bar and a LONG pipe.

Meerschm mentioned the torque value for the axle bolt as being 90 NM plus 90 degrees to tighten back on.

I thought that I read somewhere the torque was 150 lb-ft. 90 NM = ~66 lb-ft.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Thanks Meerschm. Do you have the torque values for the other bolts?
I have an alldatadiy.com for the 2009, and will be glad to post a few after I get home.

the subscription is worthwhile, if you ask me. not everything you would hope for, but the illustrations are helpful, as are repeated access to the torque specs.

What all do you want torque specs for?

I think the 90NM plus 90 is for the triple square XZN caliper mounting bolts in the rear.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
specs from alldata for my 2009.

caliper to carrier (counterhold to keep from spinning) 35 NM REPLACE

caliper carrier (xzn 14 bolt) 90 NM plus 90 degrees. REPLACE

little screw/bolt that holds the disk on. 4 NM

rear axle bolt (XZN 18) 180 NM plus 180 degrees REPLACE

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I replaced the speed sensor yesterday and rotated the tires side to side (I wanted to make sure that it wasn't tire noise). I then cleared all the codes with VCDS and took the car for a lil drive. The same MILs came on as the dash lit up with warnings. Plus I'm still hearing what must be the bad bearing sound seeming to come from the RR wheel. I can't detect any noise, roughness, or play in that bearing when I have that wheel off the ground.

New wheel bearing and bolts ordered. Ordered a triple square bit set as well.

Last edited:

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
I have all the new parts I need to change out the bearing/hub and I'm just waiting on the 3 piece 1/2" drive wobble adapters/extensions and 1/2" drive 25" breaker bar to come from HF (I already have breaker bars but I bought another while I was ordering the wobble adapters).

The torque value that Mike posted for the axle bolt is different from values that I've seen elsewhere. Mike posted 180 nm (~133 ft-lbs) plus 180 degrees. What I've seen elsewhere is 150 ft=lbs plus 180 degrees.

Does anyone know for sure which one of these values is correct for the XZN 18 mm rear axle bolt on a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen?

Thank you!

Last edited: