www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:21   #1
GearJammer

Default 1.9L Turbo Diesel v. TDI

Aside from the obvious 'Direct Injection' technology used with the 1.9 L TDI, is there a HUGE power difference between this engine and its predecessor the 1.9L TD? In the market for a 1997-98 Jetta Diesel, the TDIs are quite a bit more expensive. Would it be worth my while to shed the few extra bucks and go with the better engine? What kind of fuel mileage do the non-TDI cars get? Thanks for the help, the site is great.
GearJammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2002, 07:36   #2
MacGyver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~54mpg imp
Default Re: 1.9L Turbo Diesel v. TDI

I considered the same thing in 99 and I ended up buying my 97 Jetta TDI.
The 1.9IDI's, available into 97 in the Jetta's, while not a slug, IS considerably less powerful. It is simpler, all mechanical, and can be upgraded a bit, like adding an intercooler.
Milage with the IDI is mid 40's as opposed to mid 50's minimum with the TDI (imperial figures) I get ~54mpg combined with my car & I drive very aggressively. Do you travel a lot of miles/yr, the fuel savings will help offset initial cost somewhat. Friend of mine with a 97 Jetta IDI gets mid 40's with spirited driving, and this is after he advanced timing, increased boost & fuel & added an intercooler, which overall increased his power & milage.

IMHO, if you can afford to shell out the extra bucks, go with the TDI, I spent darn near double what I intended to when I started car shopping but don't regret it one bit.
Definitely do a test drive in each of the IDI & TDI to feel the difference for yourself, and consider the TDI's power can be increased substantially for a moderate cost & minimal loss of economy if any. My milage went up after 'chipping', results vary.
MacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2002, 07:51   #3
GearJammer

I'll be doing a lot of highway driving from Kingston to Montreal (275-300k)every week or two, so I want the fuel economy, not too important to have lots of power. The fuel economy of the TDI is attractive, but the mechanical (read: easy to work on) nature of the IDI is also appealing. The difference might be 1,000$CAN so it would take a while to regain that in fuel expenses. I'm just wondering how reliable all the electronic and computer components will be on the TDI in the later years of its life, the portion that I would have it.
Old May 16th, 2002, 08:14   #4
MacGyver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~54mpg imp

Wow, the price difference was larger when I bought my car, $1k...gofor the TDI.
If you're familiar with the 1.6L TD's the 1.9L is almost identical. The TDI & it's electronics can seem intimidating, but it really is turning out to be just as easy to work on, in a more 'modern' way. If you get yourself Vag-Com ( www.ross-tech.com ) or have local access to someone with it, you can diagnose most any trouble you may encounter before you even lift the hood [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
There are some known issues with the older TDI's, like relay 109, but for almost any problem you could encounter, someone else here has already experienced it & found a solution!
I had a 87 Jetta TD, great problem free car, the 97 TDI is even better & just as reliable so far.

Do some test driving & see what you think.
MacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2002, 08:26   #5
GearJammer

What kind of mileage do you think is too high? Most are selling on www.AutoTrader.ca with about 150-190k (94-120miles) on the odo for 11,500-13,000$CAN. Price seems high for the mileage, but I hear these diesels go forever, if you treat them right.
Old May 16th, 2002, 08:46   #6
tjl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55/52/47 (mpg)

Quote:
Originally posted by GearJammer:
What kind of mileage do you think is too high? Most are selling on www.AutoTrader.ca with about 150-190k (94-120miles) on the odo for 11,500-13,000$CAN. Price seems high for the mileage, but I hear these diesels go forever, if you treat them right.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mileage is less important than previous owner maintenance (this is true of cars in general). That high mileage car that looks and drives like new and comes with full maintenance records, owner's manual, original window sticker, Bentley service manual, two and a half gallons of Delvac 1, and two oil filters may well be a better car than a lower mileage car with mismatched tires, no records, and no owner's manual.
tjl is offline   Reply With Quote