www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old January 24th, 2017, 10:33   #31
Rockwell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frambach View Post
Thanks jimbote. Your input is much appreciated.
Rockwell, here is a pic of the exhaust. It's kind of hard to tell from the pic but it comes out of the turbo as a 2.5". I immediately bump it up to 3" and start going downward and toward the bellhousing. The reason for the 'dip' before going up and over the bell is to give a little more clearance on the oil temp sensor wires and the hose I plan to send over to the heater core.

The other couple of exhaust pics can be found here:
http://imgur.com/a/GVYZI
Nice. The 1.6 I originally had in mine before had the exhaust going under the engine, like it crossing over behind the head better. Much cleaner install but was harder to do correctly. I couldnt quite fit 3" comfortably, I went with 2.25" and that gives a little room to wrap it or get it ceramic coated.
1996 B4 Passat
Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 12:07   #32
Hasenwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by frambach View Post
Thanks jimbote. Your input is much appreciated.

Rockwell, here is a pic of the exhaust. It's kind of hard to tell from the pic but it comes out of the turbo as a 2.5". I immediately bump it up to 3" and start going downward and toward the bellhousing. The reason for the 'dip' before going up and over the bell is to give a little more clearance on the oil temp sensor wires and the hose I plan to send over to the heater core.

The other couple of exhaust pics can be found here:
http://imgur.com/a/GVYZI
I can't help to think that you are going to run into issues with melting the plastic output flange. Needless to say that you exhaust can get HOT and that's really close to the plastic! I'd be looking at exhaust wrap to try to reduce that risk as much as possible.
Hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 12:51   #33
Rockwell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasenwerk View Post
I can't help to think that you are going to run into issues with melting the plastic output flange. Needless to say that you exhaust can get HOT and that's really close to the plastic! I'd be looking at exhaust wrap to try to reduce that risk as much as possible.
If there is no room for wrap, check out the white lightening coating at http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/automotive-coatings/ It's a thick true ceramic coating, not a thin cosmetic coating, and should help keep the temps down.
1996 B4 Passat
Old January 24th, 2017, 21:20   #34
frambach

TDI(s): 3 ALHs

Rock, behind the head is a neater looking install IMO. With that 2.25", you were at liberty to run that straight section. With the 3", it's a tight fit with NO room to run straight pipe. It took me quite a while to articulate those pie cuts to clear everything back there. I was pretty hellbent on running 3" though.

I'm very happy with the way it's looking so far.

As far as heat mitigation, I plan to ceramic coat it AND wrap it. DEI has some great wrap heat blocking products. I saw their display at PRI in Indy this year. That ceramic from Swain Tech looks very enticing. Thanks for sharing.

I'm hoping we can block enough heat off of that plastic housing. That 3" exhaust should flow well too. <finger crossed>

Last edited by frambach; January 25th, 2017 at 12:59.
frambach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 12:10   #35
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45mpg avg

That 3" looks nice, I think it is overkill for the HP that the TDI can make. 2.5 should be plenty, but the hard work is done now! And it sure looks sweet.
Old January 25th, 2017, 13:02   #36
frambach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpsd View Post
That 3" looks nice, I think it is overkill for the HP that the TDI can make. 2.5 should be plenty, but the hard work is done now! And it sure looks sweet.
It IS too much as it's built now. I was hoping it would help keep EGTs down and leave room for further power enhancements down the road

I had some 2.5" on hand and tried it. As crazy as it sounds, that extra .5" makes a huge difference in clearance AND, a v-band for 2.5" tubing WILL clear all the way around the back of the head/firewall.

Like I said, I was just hellbent on running 3"
Old January 25th, 2017, 13:14   #37
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45mpg avg

I have built several old audis and used 3" on all of them (big turbo gassers). There is a very similar pinch point on those cars where the exhaust goes over the rear axle and above the subframe. I did 2.5" on this car because I figured it would never be over 250hp. SOO much easier to fit the 2.5" As you said, v-band clamps fit so much easier too.

That 3" pipe looks good. I like this project, and dream of putting the ALH from my mk4 into a nice clean, early 90's 2wd SRW toyota when the mk4 body gets too rusty. I love the steering modification, I would do something like that if I go through with it.
Old January 25th, 2017, 13:22   #38
frambach

We should be in the 220hp range now. If we go with a 12mm pump, bigger injectors, and bigger turbo, we should be in the range where we would need 3".

That's a bit down the road but eventually, I'd like to get there.

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate the compliments.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 14:37   #39
frambach

The BHW oil cooler / heat exchanger arrived from the folks at Cascade German (formerly Bora Parts) and I've got it on.

I cut one of the original coolant lines that went to the A/T cooler and this is what we're looking like:

Now, if I can get the coolant flange situated, I can move on to wiring

Here's what I'm hoping to do for the coolant flange. A simple, sleek outlet that I can weld whatever I want to. There's only one problem... I need to find someone to machine it. Any takers? LOL

(excuse the crudeness. Getting Google Sketchup to place nice with all the faces is not easy - at least it isn't for me)

It's machined to have a 1.5" OD outlet. Then, I could take a piece of normal aluminum tubing and make whatever I need. I went with 1.5" because that's what our radiator is going to have for an inlet.

I wouldn't want to go too awfully far with my 1.5" tubing. Just enough to clear the back of the head and have a bend in it moving everything away from the exhaust and firewall - I'm thinking 30*-ish.

Once installed, it has a flat on the top. I think that could be drilled and have an aluminum bung welded to it to receive the stock Toyota coolant temp sensor.
Old March 5th, 2017, 07:47   #40
Ranch

TDI(s): ALH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
If there is no room for wrap, check out the white lightening coating at http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/automotive-coatings/ It's a thick true ceramic coating, not a thin cosmetic coating, and should help keep the temps down.
I see you are in NH.. which may be beneficial to using Swain. (close to you) I used WWW.jcmmachineandcoating.com for several large engine piston coating jobs. They are south of St. Louis Mo. (closer to me)

Slightly better pricing, but the main reason I used Jcm is they got it done quickly. At the time, Swain told me it was going to be a month lead time. Jcm had my pistons back to me at end of that week.
Keep in mind this time of year (March onwards) is racer prep, and everybody is busy.
Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 13:02   #41
Rockwell
Veteran Member

Swain did take awhile, but so is my project. I looked at JCM, they seem to do good work too
1996 B4 Passat
Old March 12th, 2017, 15:36   #42
papasmurf
Veteran Member

Did you use the toyota brackets on the frame? I was about to cut mine out and start over from scratch with them. Do you have any pics of them?
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 04:23   #43
frambach

I did leave the brackets on the frame. From there, I replicated the factory, engine side, mounts' pad and built out from there. I'll leave this tab open on my computer and supply pictures when I get back home.
Old March 13th, 2017, 19:22   #44
frambach

Hopefully these will help you see what I did.
This is the drivers side looking from the front toward the back:

& this is the passenger side. Again, looking from the front to the back.
Old March 13th, 2017, 20:27   #45
papasmurf
Veteran Member

Wow! Some of the nicest I have seen. Great job. Is there enough room on the passenger side for an a/c compressor?
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote