www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old September 27th, 2015, 11:35   #61
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastguy View Post
That might be nice if you happen to liven the area that fast chargers are currently installed and if they'll swap out a $25,000.00 VW for a $80,000.00 Tesla. In my case one isn't true and the other is as likely as my drowning in unicorn tears.
3 years ago there were 6 supercharger locations... now there are >500. No doubt there are many coming to locations convenient to all your travel needs. The Model 3 will be out in ~3 years and cost ~$35k... <$20k when compared to the 10 year O&M cost of ICE.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 11:53   #62
Zut Alors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
I wish there was a free 1 month EV loaner program... you would quickly realize 1) How much range you DON'T need 2) How awesome it is to leave home every day with plenty of juice.
When I did road trips with my Jetta I was a habitual hyper-miler. My record was 800 miles on a single tank but my bladder and stomach can't last 800 miles. I make the same stops I did in my Jetta but instead of just eating & resting now I eat, rest and charge. When your car can charge at ~135kW or ~400mph your car is usually ready to go before you are.
My commute to my job is 12 miles round trip (A Leaf would be perfect), but I also drive 80 miles each way once a week and 300 miles each way once a month for medical frivolity. A Leaf can't get me to Baton Rouge and back (I wouldn't have the range to sit in the never ending traffic before getting to the hospital, and even if it did. it won't recharge in time for me to return home after treatment) and a Tesla can barely get me to the medical center in Houston, but can't get me to their supercharging station before it dies even before taking traffic in account. And even if I get there, who's to say there isn't a line to charge?

There's plenty of people where a Leaf would be just fine, but there's also plenty of people where an electric car isn't feasible no matter how you try to spin it. Even further, unless you like bread and water diets, a Tesla is simply economically infeasible for large swaths of the US population--the ones who drive the dirtiest cars emissions-wise. I live in a relatively affluent area of Louisiana, but our median income is still $20k under the national average. Like I said above, you pull into our school's parking lot during drop off/pick up times, and my TDi is the least of a pollution-sniffer's concerns when there's plenty of 20 year-old cars without mufflers blowing visible smoke out their exhaust idling away. If you want to put a real dent in the total emissions of cars on the road, you need to get clean cars at a price point where people who have cars that pollute can swap them for clean cars as well as convincing them that the cars they are getting are the equal or better of the cars they are trading in. Volkswagen was kinda-sorta there with their stripper TDi Golfs and Jettas, but didn't have the market penetration to make it happen. Then this whole emissions scandal hit and we're back to square one.

Last edited by Zut Alors!; September 27th, 2015 at 11:57.
Zut Alors! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 11:59   #63
peterdaniel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zut Alors! View Post
My commute to my job is 12 miles round trip (A Leaf would be perfect), but I also drive 80 miles each way once a week and 300 miles each way once a month for medical frivolity. A Leaf can't get me to Baton Rouge and back (I wouldn't have the range to sit in the never ending traffic before getting to the hospital, and even if it did. it won't recharge in time for me to return home after treatment).....

Actually the more traffic you have, the better it is for range... assuming you know how to drive an EV properly
Old September 27th, 2015, 12:05   #64
SuburbanTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
3 years ago there were 6 supercharger locations... now there are >500.
There are 168,000 gas stations.... and diesel can still be hard to find off the beaten path.

Good luck outside of anything but the most concentrated and wealthy counties in the US. I'd be surprised if you could stop for lunch and fill up with free energy outside of a dozen US counties, and even then you'd have to look hard.

A world of free energy and an affordable all - electric sport wagon capable of hauling a family of four to the backwoods for a week with all their gear is never going to happen. Free energy and heavily subsidized purchases will be turned off long before the average family gets anywhere near to using it.
SuburbanTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 12:15   #65
raybo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2001 Golf (SOLD 11/15/15): 45 MPG avg mostly highway; JSW high 30's around town

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanTDI View Post
There are 168,000 gas stations.... and diesel can still be hard to find off the beaten path.

Good luck outside of anything but the most concentrated and wealthy counties in the US. I'd be surprised if you could stop for lunch and fill up with free energy outside of a dozen US counties, and even then you'd have to look hard.

A world of free energy and an affordable all - electric sport wagon capable of hauling a family of four to the backwoods for a week with all their gear is never going to happen. Free energy and heavily subsidized purchases will be turned off long before the average family gets anywhere near to using it.
You sound as if you know more than Mr. Musk - please let him know about your predictions. Progress, it's a b*tch sometimes..
Put your zip in and see all the types of charging stations available now - by the time the Model 3 arrives there will many more. As more Teslas are sold, more charging stations will appear, some will cost $.
http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Also - don't forget - oil is heavily subsidized by our military budget...
2010 JSW DSG White Gold Metallic/Corn Silk 105K | Pano | Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 as of 50K | Continental PureContact | built 11/09 (hers) HPFP disintegrated 12/14 - entire fuel system repaired by VWoA Jan 2015 at 93K miles

Last edited by raybo; September 27th, 2015 at 12:18.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 12:25   #66
Shawn67

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdaniel View Post
Actually the more traffic you have, the better it is for range... assuming you know how to drive an EV properly
How much impact does the heater have on range? Thinking about sitting in traffic during a New England winter. We were below 0f last year.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 12:27   #67
Zut Alors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdaniel View Post
It depends. I owned a Prius and like an EV it excels in stop-and-go traffic, but living in humid subtropical hell means that climate control eats into the overall charge while you're sitting in traffic, though I don't get the energy loss from cold weather. I tracked my fuel usage and saw a noticeable decline in performance in the summer months when climate control was used the most--and I didn't even keep it cold in my car. So when it comes down to economics, do I get a Leaf that I can only use for about 25% of my weekly mileage, a TDi that is bigger, more versatile, but emits pollutants, or go into auto poverty and get a Tesla that still isn't guaranteed to get me where I need to go? For myself and the vast majority of Americans who do not live on either coast, Chicago, Houston, or D/FW, an electric car is not a real option.

I guess I'm just an idiot who doesn't see the obvious advantage of driving a tiny electric car to places where I arrive on the last couple of electrons and hope they can get me to a charging station so I can sit and wait for it to change before I can try to get back home with a couple of electrons to spare. Electric vehicles are most likely the future, but that future is still a generation away no matter how many TED Talks Elon Musk et al may give.

Last edited by Zut Alors!; September 27th, 2015 at 12:29. Reason: I kan speel gud
Zut Alors! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 12:29   #68
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Volt
Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zut Alors! View Post
My commute to my job is 12 miles round trip (A Leaf would be perfect), but I also drive 80 miles each way once a week and 300 miles each way once a month for medical frivolity. A Leaf can't get me to Baton Rouge and back (I wouldn't have the range to sit in the never ending traffic before getting to the hospital, and even if it did. it won't recharge in time for me to return home after treatment) and a Tesla can barely get me to the medical center in Houston, but can't get me to their supercharging station before it dies even before taking traffic in account. And even if I get there, who's to say there isn't a line to charge?
It's called the Volt. It's not for everyone, but it works great for me. I use it for my work commute and for running around, all on EV, but I can also go down to the shore or drive to my brother's place in VA, without any range anxiety.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 12:32   #69
SuburbanTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo View Post
You sound as if you know more than Mr. Musk - please let him know about your predictions. Progress, it's a b*tch sometimes..
Put your zip in and see all the types of charging stations available now ...
I never mentioned Musk, I pointed out that 500 outlets is a fraction of the 168,000 filling stations.

I also pointed out that although it's easy to give free energy to a few wealthy individuals in concentrated areas driving cars subsidized by the "people", it's not possible (see - "TANSTAAFL" ) to scale that up so that the little people would also get free energy and cars below cost.

Having said that, when exactly do you believe a family of four could afford to buy an all - electric sport wagon, fill it to the brim with weight and then spend a week in the backwoods anywhere?
Old September 27th, 2015, 12:50   #70
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbobtn View Post
You know, if Elon Musk can give us a vehicle that costs in the range of $18,000 to 30,000, and has performance characteristics to our TDI INCLUDING the quick recharge and range capabilities, I'd be interested. That's not happening right now and will take a long time to achieve. I don't fly distances of between 200-700 miles, I have to drive. Nice car, don't get me wrong, but a Tesla doesn't do it for me. Just my two cents.
Elon Musk is not going to give you these things, at least it won't happen in his lifetime. EVs cannot achieve the range of an ICE vehicle, because they can't store the energy in an efficient capacity /weight ration. An 8-pound gallon of gas or diesel has a huge amount of energy in comparison. As much discussion and blithering that's going around right now, you can probably find a direct comparison about how much the batteries would weigh to power an EV the 750+ miles my Passat will go on a tank of ULSD (Hint: the weight would exceed the GVW of any reasonably sized passenger vehicle.)
As a commuter vehicle that is charged nightly at home, there's a perfectly reasonable EV out there right now, IF the buyer is willing to accept its limitations*. It's called the Nissan Leaf, and they aren't exactly selling like hotcakes.....

*A round-trip commute of maybe 50 miles with a side trip of 10 miles or so, plus a decent safety margin. In warm weather. Driving in a moderate manner. In cold weather, when that same battery has to heat the car, or if you stomp on it, there goes that safety margin. The point is that EVs, as they exist today, are not Elon Musk or anyone else's magic carpet that's going to cure all our transportation woes.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 13:03   #71
tsingtao
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpill View Post
It's a tax credit, not a rebate, so nobody has to "pay" it, people who buy the car just pay less in taxes that year. The electricity is going to be 5x-10x cheaper than gas or diesel depending on your electric utility and rate plan, so it does add up pretty quickly.

The treasury is $7500 more in the hole, just as if they paid it out. It's not free.

Plus there is a free ride on the roads as you are not paying fuel tax, which goes toward road construction and maintenance.
Old September 27th, 2015, 13:05   #72
raybo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2001 Golf (SOLD 11/15/15): 45 MPG avg mostly highway; JSW high 30's around town

Quote:
I never mentioned Musk, I pointed out that 500 outlets is a fraction of the 168,000 filling stations.

I also pointed out that although it's easy to give free energy to a few wealthy individuals in concentrated areas driving cars subsidized by the "people", it's not possible (see - "TANSTAAFL" ) to scale that up so that the little people would also get free energy and cars below cost.

Having said that, when exactly do you believe a family of four could afford to buy an all - electric sport wagon, fill it to the brim with weight and then spend a week in the backwoods anywhere?
Trips to the backwoods don't happen that often - kind of like adding a room to the house for that yearly family get together. I'm sure you could rent a gasser for outings. The trick is to get enough solar charging - this will happen. Also don't forget - our oil supply is heavily subsidized. Also - we received tax credits for our clean diesels.
2010 JSW DSG White Gold Metallic/Corn Silk 105K | Pano | Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 as of 50K | Continental PureContact | built 11/09 (hers) HPFP disintegrated 12/14 - entire fuel system repaired by VWoA Jan 2015 at 93K miles
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 13:09   #73
SuburbanTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo View Post
Put your zip in and see all the types of charging stations available now - by the time the Model 3 arrives there will many more..

Curious, I put in a wealthy central Chicago zip. Here's the link. Chicago is the third largest city in the US and even here you'd spend half your day trudging to find a plug.

That's far, far worse than I would have imagined possible given that I see Tesla's in my area every day.
Old September 27th, 2015, 13:12   #74
ChemMan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn67 View Post
How much impact does the heater have on range? Thinking about sitting in traffic during a New England winter. We were below 0f last year.
Shawn
Negligible. They are very popular in Norway which isn't exactly known for its balmy summers. Moving a 4000lbs vehicle takes quite a bit of electrical power. Everything else is pretty minor compared to that. The main issue for me is that due to popularity the entire first year of production will probably sell out before the first vehicle is produced or reviewed. I have a lot of faith in Tesla but not enough faith to buy a vehicle blind.
ChemMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 13:15   #75
ChemMan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Curious, I put in a wealthy central Chicago zip. Here's the link. Chicago is the third largest city in the US and even here you'd spend half your day trudging to find a plug.

That's far, far worse than I would have imagined possible given that I see Tesla's in my area every day.
Nobody (well except people with more time than sense) uses a supercharger for day to day driving. You have a 280 mile range. You leave home charged, drive all day, come home, plug it in. When your power rates are the lowest (usually around midnight) is recharges and the next morning you have full power again.

Most of the superchargers are off the highways when you need to travel >280 miles in one day. Having a charger in your neighborhood would be pointless, you already have a charger in your house.
ChemMan is offline   Reply With Quote