www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old November 27th, 2017, 12:39   #3556
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

My fear is that if/when Tesla gets big enough to threaten the big 3, they will combine muscle and force Tesla to either be acquired or just disappear. It's happened many times before. With global competition, I guess I should say the big 5. Ford, GM, Fiat, Toyota, and VWAG
Old November 27th, 2017, 12:56   #3557
Oilerlord
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Here's the main thing with TSLA that makes them unique: vision and actually working towards that vision.

None of the legacy automakers have yet proven that they're working towards a strong EV vision, and until that happens, TSLA will be quite highly valued. And, while there are Chinese manufacturers like BYD that are visibly working towards an EV vision, they aren't doing things to near the extent of Tesla (and are focusing on transit and other fleet applications), and aren't positioned in the luxury space, so I don't see them taking TSLA's valuation down.
In terms of an investment, there comes a time when a vision needs to turn a profit. Steve Jobs imagined 1000 songs in your pocket. He made that happen & a struggling computer company transformed into a multi-billion dollar media powerhouse.

No doubt EVs are cool, but in the end; they are just cars. Teslas have cool features...Big deal. Better cars perhaps, and with advanced features, but the reality is they are still cars - not gamechangers. . Steve Jobs's vision turned an entire industry upside down. Musk is rattling the cage a little, but in the end, he's a car salesman that inexplicably wants to go to mars.

I disagree about Tesla's valuation being linked to the luxury car space. All the excitement is coming from their new "affordable" model - not so much from the S or the X. The Kia Soul is a huge success, mostly because at an MSRP of $16,100 - it really is affordable. I could see Korea or China selling an amazing EV for under $20,000 years before Tesla can do it. If or when the competition finds a way to make that everyman's EV profitable - they will. At that point, Tesla is in serious trouble.

Malone Stage 2 / DSG Flash / Rawtek Exhaust.

Last edited by Oilerlord; November 27th, 2017 at 13:03.
Oilerlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 13:32   #3558
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

In addition to having a vision and a brilliant mind, Musk is incredibly wealthy, and is "all in" on his business ventures. I don't doubt that he would expend a considerable portion of his fortune, if needed, to carry Tesla over until it becomes profitable.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 14:42   #3559
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
My fear is that if/when Tesla gets big enough to threaten the big 3, they will combine muscle and force Tesla to either be acquired or just disappear. It's happened many times before. With global competition, I guess I should say the big 5. Ford, GM, Fiat, Toyota, and VWAG
And how would they do that?

TSLA is a publicly traded company. The only way the other manufacturers could "force" Tesla to disappear is if they came up with competitive products that beat Tesla at their own game ... and I wouldn't exclude this possibility although it looks like it would be at least a few years down the road. You can't "force" a publicly traded company to "be acquired" ... someone has to be willing to buy a majority the outstanding shares (at a premium that is high enough for current shareholders to accept the deal). At current valuations TSLA is extremely expensive, and even if there were companies that "could" buy them out, why "should" they buy them at a premium to today's inflated valuations of TSLA despite fairly obvious trouble on the horizon? It doesn't make any sense.

Of course, if TSLA runs into trouble such that the share price crashes, then that's quite another matter, and I wouldn't exclude this possibility from happening, either ...

One of the things Tesla has done right has been recognizing that the cars and the charging infrastructure go hand in hand. The other manufacturers have been seemingly doing their best to make the charging infrastructure someone else's problem ... and until this changes, Tesla has an ace in the hole. If the other manufacturers gang up and get serious about installing SAE Combo quick-charging stations *everywhere* ... including across the street from every single Tesla Supercharger! ... and come up with good products, Tesla probably won't be able to keep up. The Model S is 6 model years old with no sign of a next generation, or even a makeover, on the horizon.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 18:10   #3560
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
The Model S is 6 model years old with no sign of a next generation, or even a makeover, on the horizon.
I would argue that the Model S has seen more changes in the last 5 years than the Jetta has in 15 years. My 2012 P85 feels almost like an antique compared to a 2017 P100D. Tesla doesn't do 'generations' they don't even do 'model years' when there's an improvement that gets approved it goes into the next car.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 19:11   #3561
Oilerlord
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
I would argue that the Model S has seen more changes in the last 5 years than the Jetta has in 15 years. My 2012 P85 feels almost like an antique compared to a 2017 P100D. Tesla doesn't do 'generations' they don't even do 'model years' when there's an improvement that gets approved it goes into the next car.
One car is a 2012 P85. The other is a 2017 P100D.

I'm with you! I can't believe how much the Model S has changed over the years. It's a totally different car now.

Time to go trade in that old 2012 clunker for the 2017 model.

Last edited by Oilerlord; November 27th, 2017 at 19:14.
Old November 27th, 2017, 19:49   #3562
Oilerlord
Veteran Member

Quote:

One of the things Tesla has done right has been recognizing that the cars and the charging infrastructure go hand in hand. The other manufacturers have been seemingly doing their best to make the charging infrastructure someone else's problem ... and until this changes, Tesla has an ace in the hole. If the other manufacturers gang up and get serious about installing SAE Combo quick-charging stations *everywhere* ... including across the street from every single Tesla Supercharger! ... and come up with good products, Tesla probably won't be able to keep up. The Model S is 6 model years old with no sign of a next generation, or even a makeover, on the horizon.
Tesla is doing the heavy lifting. I can't blame CEO's of Ford, GM, Toyota, et al making the absolute minimum investments in electric cars until they know how it's all shakes out.

Exxon Mobil is an energy company. There's no law I know of that prevents them from selling kWh's alongside gallons. Given a reasonable ROI, a nationwide rollout of DCFC stations, could happen.

Old November 27th, 2017, 20:16   #3563
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Franz Holzhausen did an amazing job designing the exterior of the Model S (and the new Roadster). I don't think a major redesign could improve the aesthetics much. In fact, I don't like the current trend of many of the big auto manufacturers incorporating too many design elements and radical body lines in new models. Smooth, flowing lines look much better to my eye. A classic Porshce looks so much nicer than a Lamborghini, imo.
Old November 27th, 2017, 21:06   #3564
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Yes, the smooth, flowing lines....like the classic jelly bean profile.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 21:25   #3565
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Exactly. The jellybean profile served the type 1 well for many, many years with just minor refreshes. And that design still brings smiles to many faces.
Old November 28th, 2017, 03:55   #3566
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Huh? You really do not know much about Volkswagens, do you. The [current] NCS Jetta is an entirely different platform than the --2010 car.

Given the fact that the NCS Jetta sells quite well in the markets in which it was intended, it likely will not need much changing at least for the next couple years.
Old November 28th, 2017, 04:57   #3567
compu_85
Gadget Guy

The NCS, like the model S, also just got a light exterior refresh. I'd say the current Chrysler LX products got a heavy interior / exterior refresh, and I'm seeing a fair few of them on the road.

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 33,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 05:09   #3568
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

I will fully grant that they did a very good job with the original design of the Model S and they still look good out on the road. It doesn't need an exterior makeover.

The interior, on the other hand ...
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 05:15   #3569
compu_85
Gadget Guy

The seats have been redone twice now, and the "skin" on the screen interface has gotten a few major updates too.

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 33,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 05:52   #3570
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
I will fully grant that they did a very good job with the original design of the Model S and they still look good out on the road. It doesn't need an exterior makeover.

The interior, on the other hand ...

The interior is awful. Like, really, really awful. I was thinking the 3 was going to be less bizarre, but it is just as bad. Sometimes, the wheel does NOT need reinventing.

Last edited by oilhammer; November 28th, 2017 at 05:54.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote