www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

View Poll Results: Yes or No
No 11 84.62%
Yes 1 7.69%
Maybe 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 9th, 2018, 20:23   #1
PB_NB
Veteran Member

Default New 2018 e-golf! Yes or No!

So recently we have been looking at EV's to replace our daily work vehicle. We looked at the BMW, Kia, Chevy, Nissan and VW EV's.
We drive about 100 kms per day and our Honda Element is burning lots of gas and getting a bit old and rough. We looked at a smaller vehicle that could handle some tool bags and still have some comfort and technology.
The Bolt seems to have great range but that really isn't too important as we can charge the car at work sites and at home. Finishing seems a bit on the cheap side.
The Nissan is a non-starter.
The BMW has a lot of tech and seems well designed but a little light on the construction. But has a range extender incase you don't charge it or run out of charge.
The Kia is a bit of a toy for the money.
We went to look at an e-golf but nobody has any to look at. Since we have other VW's, we feel at bit more comfortable with the design and interior finishing. After sitting with the VW dealer, we decided to put a refundable deposit on a Loaded e-golf. We have about 5 months before the car gets here (according to the dealer) so we have this time to review the other cars and see if we find something that really fits.
Range of the e-golf is about 200 kms per charge which seems to fit well. We are not worried about longer trips because we have 2 gassers and 1 TDI (our tow vehicle) which work very well.
I wanted to reach out and see if there are any reviews or feedback on this car.
One thing that we don't have to worry about is an "emissions scandal" or do we?
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 06:49   #2
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

A friend of mine went through this about 10 months ago and ended up with a Kia Soul EV.

By "The Nissan is a non-starter" do you mean the original Leaf or the new one - and why? The original Leaf looked like a turd; the new one is much better looking and has longer range.

The Golf seems expensive for what you get ... the range is still low.

LEASE, don't buy. Resale value on any of the low-range EVs is poor. They will all be obsolete in a couple of years.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 07:09   #3
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Also note that batteries seem to only be getting WORSE on newer generations of the LEAF, as far as degradation. I'd avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 09:11   #4
compu_85
Gadget Guy

I wouldn't consider buying a new EV with a non cooled battery - that rules out the Leaf and eGolf.

That's a big part of why we bought a Fiat 500e and Cadillac ELR: proper battery thermal management.

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 33,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 09:18   #5
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

What's your motivation for buying an EV? I can't imagine any new EV is going to have a lower total ownership cost than your Element. I've thought about how a Bolt would work well for me for about 80% of my driving, but it's much more economical to continue to drive my TDIs. They're paid for, pretty much done depreciating, and insurance and tax costs are very low. The occasional major repair isn't significant when compared to the cost of a new vehicle of any type.

If you want something new that is interesting and fun, have at it. But I seriously doubt you'll save any money.
Old July 11th, 2018, 14:03   #6
car54
theGAME

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta

I charge for free at work, an EV will pay for itsself in fuel alone in less than 8 years, not to mention how much fun it is to drive. If you think a TDI has torque, get an EV.

I would not consider an egolf. fiat 500e, volt, bolt, smart ED, Kia, lots of good EVs with proper battery management.

I bought a 2018 chevy volt. If I could go back, I would have gone with the Bolt. I'd much rather have a pure EV with more range than the gasoline range extender. 200 miles would basically get me 95% of my round trips without charging, and DC fast charging would easily handle the remaining 5%.

I will most likely sell the volt and buy a Hyundai Kona EV next year.
95 Foretravel U300 40' - Caterpillar 3176B, Allison HD4060, Jake Brake (88K)
car54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 14:50   #7
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I charge for free at work, an EV will pay for itsself in fuel alone in less than 8 years.
I'd be interested in the math on that statement. Seems that it might be challenging, since the number of miles you can go on pure EV is limited, as are the places that offer free charging.
Old July 11th, 2018, 22:58   #8
PB_NB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
What's your motivation for buying an EV? I can't imagine any new EV is going to have a lower total ownership cost than your Element. I've thought about how a Bolt would work well for me for about 80% of my driving, but it's much more economical to continue to drive my TDIs. They're paid for, pretty much done depreciating, and insurance and tax costs are very low. The occasional major repair isn't significant when compared to the cost of a new vehicle of any type.

If you want something new that is interesting and fun, have at it. But I seriously doubt you'll save any money.
We have considered the options and this seems like a good direction to get an EV as our work vehicle. With our insane gas prices in BC we will see $2.00 per litre soon! Also, we seem to have a lot on electricity in this area with all the dams.

We did some numbers and we are currently spending about $500 to $600 per month on gas for the Honda and it is getting worse combined with a bunch of maintenance needed as the miles are getting up there.

Our Beetle is used as a tow vehicle when we go away but not too much use otherwise as we are working so much. We have a GTI and a Mini as well but they are recreational vehicles so they don't see the usage for work.

It is easy to justify the EV as a replacement for the Honda and we have plenty of charging stations to make the range really easy to manage.

We are just not too sure which is the right vehicle so we will venture out and do some road tests soon. We can try the BMW and Leaf as well as the Bolt to see if we can get an better idea on cargo space and good seats!

I and not too sure if we have Cadillac EV's up here but will look.

Thanks for the feedback.
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
Old July 13th, 2018, 15:36   #9
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
We have considered the options and this seems like a good direction to get an EV as our work vehicle. With our insane gas prices in BC we will see $2.00 per litre soon! Also, we seem to have a lot on electricity in this area with all the dams.
We did some numbers and we are currently spending about $500 to $600 per month on gas for the Honda and it is getting worse combined with a bunch of maintenance needed as the miles are getting up there.
Our Beetle is used as a tow vehicle when we go away but not too much use otherwise as we are working so much. We have a GTI and a Mini as well but they are recreational vehicles so they don't see the usage for work.
It is easy to justify the EV as a replacement for the Honda and we have plenty of charging stations to make the range really easy to manage.
We are just not too sure which is the right vehicle so we will venture out and do some road tests soon. We can try the BMW and Leaf as well as the Bolt to see if we can get an better idea on cargo space and good seats!
I and not too sure if we have Cadillac EV's up here but will look.
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm going play devils advocate here and ask you why you are looking for a 5th car when you already have 4 cars?

I don't understand why you are using your beetle just as a tow car and a mini and gti as "recreational cars"(if you had a V8 Audi S4 for example then I can understand it being a weekend car)... I'm also not sure what exactly you mean by work car, but if by work you mean it's a commuting car, then seems to me, especially given your signature, that the beetle seems like the perfect car and your fuel costs won't be anywhere near the elements (but you already know this). I'm not sure how spending money on a new EV makes any financial sense given how many cars you have... That's just my 2 cents
2.2TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 16:14   #10
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

This is spot on! And did you notice that he removed the rest of the vehicles from his sig...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2TDI View Post
I'm going play devils advocate here and ask you why you are looking for a 5th car when you already have 4 cars?

I don't understand why you are using your beetle just as a tow car and a mini and gti as "recreational cars"(if you had a V8 Audi S4 for example then I can understand it being a weekend car)... I'm also not sure what exactly you mean by work car, but if by work you mean it's a commuting car, then seems to me, especially given your signature, that the beetle seems like the perfect car and your fuel costs won't be anywhere near the elements (but you already know this). I'm not sure how spending money on a new EV makes any financial sense given how many cars you have... That's just my 2 cents
Old July 13th, 2018, 16:22   #11
UFO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle
Fuel Economy: 50mpg on B100

I am considering replacing my diesel with an electric. I drive less than 40 miles any given day, and I have a truck if I need to haul stuff. My commute is short enough now that my diesel doesn't even warm up on cold days.

If you get free charging at work, I say go for the electric.

Even though this forum is a VW site, don't expect to get much support for a non-diesel option.

UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 18:10   #12
PB_NB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2TDI View Post

It would seem that we have a bunch of cars kicking around and this would only add to the driveway clutter.

The goal is to replace the Honda. This has been our company truck for the last 4 years. We have a small business and the business owns the Honda. The Honda is getting tired as it has been well used. I can spend a bunch of money to fix it up however, the EV discussion has been on the table for over a year.

Our business would retire the Honda and get another vehicle to use in its place.
The other cars are our personal cars which we use for shopping and longer trips etc... The GTI is basically our son's car and the Mini is my wife's car.

I thought about the Beetle to use for work but I don't want to subject it to bumper to bumper driving in our city which has some of the worst drivers around. It is almost 20 years old and doesn't hold much of our tools or equipment. I guess if I put a trailer behind it but really only use it to pull our trailer and transport our kayaks. On paper (with our provincial insurance provider), the car is probably worth a couple of thousand, but we have a huge investment in it with all the work done, this why we want to limit the usage locally.

In Vancouver gas is $1.61/litre which works out to $6.12 CDN/per US gallon.
It is expected to go up to $2.00/litre. We get about 350 km per fill up with the Honda and that costs $80 right now. We are spending about $600/month on fuel and looking at that going up to $700/month. A Ford F150 or similar will run us about $50,000 and burn even more fuel. We don't seem to have any compact work vans of interest in our car automobile market. No small diesels available either. We could get a 2015 Fixed TDI for more than what they cost new but they are very limited.

That is why I asked for opinions to see what comes back about EV cars.

Hope this makes more sense.
Old July 13th, 2018, 18:19   #13
PB_NB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1854sailor View Post
This is spot on! And did you notice that he removed the rest of the vehicles from his sig...?
Hey Sailor, not to sure what this refers to? Are you talking about my signature?

I haven't listed any other cars as they really aren't applicable to this forum. Also, I have used up all the characters so I can't even post any more details about the Beetle.

I knew it was a stretch to even mention a battery powered car on TDIClub but I thought what the hey! Maybe there are others out there with EV's that wish to share.

Maybe a diesel/battery hybrid for future consideration.
Old July 13th, 2018, 18:24   #14
PB_NB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
A friend of mine went through this about 10 months ago and ended up with a Kia Soul EV.

By "The Nissan is a non-starter" do you mean the original Leaf or the new one - and why? The original Leaf looked like a turd; the new one is much better looking and has longer range.

The Golf seems expensive for what you get ... the range is still low.

LEASE, don't buy. Resale value on any of the low-range EVs is poor. They will all be obsolete in a couple of years.
We looked at a few year old Leaf and it just looks to weird but maybe the new ones look better.

I thought about the value of the e-golf and with all the driver assist stuff and the VW quality and finish, it seems to be well built. The battery management was brought up as a weakness so I will have to look into battery management on the others cars too to see if there is something there.

I totally agree with the Resale value and leasing as it looks like EV's loose about 50% value in a couple of years of low mileage driving.
Old July 13th, 2018, 19:08   #15
PB_NB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I'd be interested in the math on that statement. Seems that it might be challenging, since the number of miles you can go on pure EV is limited, as are the places that offer free charging.
I think a case can be made for this.

In our situation, we are looking at about $600 per month with a jump to $700 as soon as our gall hits $2.00/litre.

A lease would be about that much I expect.

Charging stations tend to be more readily available in urban centres. In our business, we look after systems on many high-rise towers downtown and they have free charging when you park in there parkades. The city has many green initiatives/incentives for developers.

I could justify the purchase/lease and even if I charged at home, I would see a few bucks per charge. A charging station can be installed at home for about 2 or 3 thousand.