VW announces plans for electric cars

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Volkswagen plans electric model campaign
Volkswagen has declared an electric model campaign at the IAA. "We are following, as always, our own path," CEO Martin Winterkorn explains. As such, 20 new models are planned by 2020, among them the Porsche Mission E with 600 HP.

http://www.handelsblatt.com/auto/nachrichten/iaa-2015-der-vw-markenabend-in-bildern/12317742.html

Hopefully someone can find a full English version of this article. My German is too poor to do more than catch a word here or there.

Here's Google's translation of the main topic:
"The VW brand evening in pictures

Who called all twelve brands his own who has achieved at the auto show also what. From Lamborghini topless, up to the Pan-American Bulli's Doing any job. And the Tiguan to 600-horsepower electric concept."

Sounds interesting that VW is planning on 20 electric models within the next five years.

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
If VW introduces an electric car, how are they going to program the ECM to show that when charging, it's drawing power from solar panels and wind turbines, while it's actually drawing power from coal-fired generating stations?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
The coal sourced electric power that is used to charge them is the dirty little secret of the electric car. And, the power transmission system (the grid) loses a substantial amount on the way to your house/car. A small home wind power turbine and solar panel would help, but

I still say turbo-diesel electic would be ideal. 2 cylinder TDI, capacitor system (NOT batteries), electric drive system, and add a moderately sized flywheel, and regenerative braking, and you have a 90mpg vehicle.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If VW introduces an electric car, how are they going to program the ECM to show that when charging, it's drawing power from solar panels and wind turbines, while it's actually drawing power from coal-fired generating stations?
Because it will be smart enough only to choose the electrons that smell like flowers or look like kittens. :D

This has to be coming because of the recent news that European regulators are becoming disenchanted with urban diesel driving.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
The coal sourced electric power that is used to charge them is the dirty little secret of the electric car. And, the power transmission system (the grid) loses a substantial amount on the way to your house/car. A small home wind power turbine and solar panel would help, but

I still say turbo-diesel electic would be ideal. 2 cylinder TDI, capacitor system (NOT batteries), electric drive system, and add a moderately sized flywheel, and regenerative braking, and you have a 90mpg vehicle.
The energy conversion efficiency of coal plants is much higher than an on-board diesel engine, so carbon output is still much lower, including the 5% transmission loss of the electric grid. No dirty secret here, and it will only improve with local solar and wind generation.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
The eGolf looks pretty awesome but I think I'll wait about 5 years or whenever the kinks, glitches and hiccups have been worked out, by then it should be the second generation eGolf !

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
My area is powered by a nuclear plant. No coal here. Agreed that the eGolf looks good. But it also has quirks and limited availability. Some of its problems are really serious... too serious to risk buying one from afar and then bringing someplace where the dealers aren't trained to service them. :(

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Not sure that I will trust Volkswagen again.
But all auto company's are having there problems.