Coming to 2016 models: Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and MirrorLink

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
VOLKSWAGEN OFFERS NEW LEVELS OF CONNECTIVITY WITH CLASS LEADING SUITE OF INFOTAINMENT TECHNOLOGIES

http://media.vw.com/release/1032/

VW is one of the first automakers to implement the top three technology standards for in-vehicle smartphone integration

VW’s Next Generation Car-Net platform offers one of the most comprehensive suites of connected services in the auto industry
Smartphone integration available through Apple CarPlay®, Android Auto™, and MirrorLink®
Connectivity features available across VW lineup, in virtually every trim
Volkswagen worked with tech industry giants to integrate the latest connectivity products and services in VW products
Comprehensive list of connected vehicle features in three areas—“Security & Service,” “Guide & Inform,” and “App-Connect”

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Sure would be nice if existing units would get a firmware upgrade for this.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They are so slow and out of date they would probably come to a stop. ;)

Now that someone has hacked the Jeep systems and can take control of the car from anywhere in the world, I am somewhat undecided as to whether I want this capability anymore.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
My CarNet module has been collecting dust in my garage since before the remote hacking became real. No worries about remote hacking or eavesdropping in my car. ;)

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Just got to play with a '2016' Tiguan with the new radio - AWESOME. Nice that it is platform agnostic and has Android auto and MirrorLink too. Bigger screen with a better touch mechanism. Also, and this was YEARS overdue, MDI is GONE!!! Now, just a traditional USB port, bring your own cable.

The radio should be an easy upgrade for all Mk5/6 models since the Tiguan is basically just a Jetta electronically, though changing out MDI for the USB port might be challenging.

Amazing that when CarPlay was announced, VW wasn't on the short list of manufacturers to be releasing it. We head about Ferrari, Audi too, more recently Chevrolet, but never VW until this - they announce it and days later it is in the showroom.

I wonder if this is the new modus operandi for VW. The refreshed 2016 Passat has been kept completely hidden from view - no spy shots, no news etc. I'm guessing that they'll release photos of it and a week later it will be in showrooms.

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Now just put the TDI in the Tiguan and I'll trade back into one in a heartbeat! :)

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
The radio should be an easy upgrade for all Mk5/6 models since the Tiguan is basically just a Jetta electronically, though changing out MDI for the USB port might be challenging.
It would be nice if the radio firmware could be upgraded for Android Auto and/or MirrorLink, instead of having to install a new radio.

It wouldn't really have to be an 'upgrade' in the usual sense, where more stuff is added. In principle one could save space and CPU cycles on the central console display unit (the 'radio') by removing built-in functionality, and replacing the special function 'hard-wired' firmware with display and touch panel mirroring of the connected phone.
That would also go a long way towards making the unit future-proof.

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
My 2015 rns315 in my Jetta broke and the dealer has a warranty replacement on order. Would be nice if they drop in the CarPlay model but doubt I will get that lucky. They had to special order since the VW parts warehouses had none. Still may go aftermarket even after they replace it.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Cincy, have you discussed aftermarket with the dealer?
Can't hurt to try and would lower your out-of-pocket. I know some dealers do custom work, some don't.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
My 2015 rns315 in my Jetta broke and the dealer has a warranty replacement on order. Would be nice if they drop in the CarPlay model but doubt I will get that lucky. They had to special order since the VW parts warehouses had none. Still may go aftermarket even after they replace it.
When they replaced the -510 in my Tiguan under warranty, they couldn't even give me a newer version of the same radio. They told me they have to order it by VIN, and you'll get exactly the same model and version it has now. And this is a dealer that bends over backwards for me. If they couldn't make it happen, it probably can't be done, unless VWoA steps in for some reason.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
My CarNet module has been collecting dust in my garage since before the remote hacking became real. No worries about remote hacking or eavesdropping in my car. ;)
I suspect this junk is going to get more difficult to remove/deactivate in the future.