www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2015

TDIFest 2015 Discussion about TDIFest 2015 on the Labour Day weekend (September 4-6, 2015) at the Jordan Grand Hotel at Sunday River Ski Resort in Newry, Maine.

Old July 30th, 2015, 17:35   #1
spacemonkeymafia
TDIClub Enthusiast

TDI(s): 2013 beetle!
Default HELP! We need somebod(ies) v. Calling all volunteers!

Hello. You may not think you know me, since I'm not on the forums much (ever), but if you were at Fest 2012 or 2013 (or New Year's at Ho5G the last few years), then you've seen me running around doing event-organizing-stuff. And that is why I am starting this thread in search of helpers.

Planning and putting on Fest each year takes a lot of help from a lot of people. We tend to get some help once we're there, but we'd really like to know how many helpers we're going to have in advance. When we get last-minute volunteers, we don't always have something for them to do right then; if we're expecting you, we'll have something for you to do, and thereís a better chance it will be something youíll enjoy doing.

Reasons to sign up to volunteer in advance include:
  • There is a better chance to match people to the jobs they'd be good at/enjoy doing.
  • Pretty much every job is open right now, so you can pick whatever you want to do!
  • Volunteers who sign up in advance may be able to get a free t-shirt.
  • Volunteering is another way to get raffle tickets this year. Each job you take on earns you more tickets.
  • You can tell your friends exactly where and when to find you (even better, get them to sign up with you!)
If youíre worried that by helping out youíll miss out on the fun, donít worry! Helping out behind the information, merchandise, or TDIClub central tent tables is a great way to get to see just about everyone. Being the bouncer for an event means youíll get to greet everyone as they come in and still be a part of the event. If you can give just a couple hours a day to helping make Fest go, it will be greatly appreciated.

And please donít think that you canít volunteer if youíre new to the club or to Fest. Helping out behind the scenes is a great way to get to know a lot of people very quickly. And it really is fun.

Below I have listed some of the things we need help with on each day. This is by no means a complete list, but it should give you a good idea of what kind of help we are requesting. Please take a look at it and pick where and when youíd like to help out. You can reply here or send a PM to me to sign up or get more information.

Thank you in advance for signing up to help make this Fest the best one yet!

Friday afternoon volunteer positions:
  • set up raffle/silent auctions/registration/merchandiseareas
  • handing out goody bags
  • watching over raffle/silent auction/merchandise tables
  • parking lot/lobby greeters & information
  • meet & greet bouncer
  • trivia host and assistant/spotter
Saturday volunteer positions:
  • information table
  • tech session breakfast A/V
  • TDIClub central tent information table
  • set up/strike TDIClub central tent
  • breakfast bouncer
Sunday volunteer positions:
  • information table
  • tech session & awards banquet A/V
  • TDIClub central tent information table
  • set up/strike TDIClub central tent
  • auctioneer, auction spotter, auction checkout, auction item distribution
  • raffle set up
  • awards banquet bouncer
Monday volunteer positions:
  • help strike tables and chairs from tents
  • help pack up merchandise and supplies

Last edited by spacemonkeymafia; July 30th, 2015 at 17:45.
spacemonkeymafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 17:44   #2
spacemonkeymafia
TDIClub Enthusiast

Default looking for someone(s) special for some bigger jobs

While most of the positions we are looking for help with are pretty simple and can be done by anyone, there are a few important jobs that need just the right person. So, if you are interested in any of the following jobs, or want to suggest a friend you think would be good at them, please let us know! We are looking for:
  • a trivia host for Friday night and/or a trivia writer
  • someone to run the raffle Sunday afternoon (must be a fast talker!)
  • an auctioneer for the awards banquet Sunday night (can be the same person as the raffle)
Unfortunately, the people who have filled these jobs wonderfully in the past are not able to do so this year. So, we're looking for some fun people who enjoy talking and being the center of attention to fill their shoes this year. It'll be fun!

Last edited by spacemonkeymafia; July 30th, 2015 at 18:36.
Old July 30th, 2015, 18:43   #3
Campbellonh
Veteran Member

Friday afternoon I and my husband Jeff can help with handing out goody bags, and on Saturday we can do a couple of hours at the information table. Maybe more, depending on if you get enough volunteers for the other jobs. But those two times are definite. Also, I will bring my handheld GPS and help anyone who wants to go geocaching.
2014 Honda Crosstour (I know, a gasser, pretty nice though)
Campbellonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 20:12   #4
spacemonkeymafia
TDIClub Enthusiast

Excellent! Thank you for jumping right in. We'll have some raffle tickets and volunteer t-shirts* for you both.

Who's next?

*I'll contact volunteers to get t-shirt sizes next week. In order to get a volunteer t-shirt, you have to sign up to volunteer before August 10th. I think that signing up before then also gets you more raffle tickets, so come join the cool kids!
Old July 30th, 2015, 22:26   #5
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

I can spend a few hours on Sat watching over one of the tables and would help set up the tent.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 05:31   #6
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

I can help on Fri/Sat/Sun with the raffle/auction.
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 11:52   #7
spacemonkeymafia
TDIClub Enthusiast

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Thank you!

Someone smarter than I am pointed out that we already have the preferred t-shirt size for anyone who's registered, so I won't need to collect that information separately (thanks, GeekDrew). Everyone who signs up to volunteer before August 10th will get a free t-shirt*.

Everyone who signs up before August 24th will get one extra raffle ticket*, on top of the tickets earned for each job slot you fill (details on that when we're a bit closer).

Who's next? Someone who wants to greet everyone as they arrive Friday and help point them in the right direction? Or someone who wants to greet people as they arrive for the meet & greet, breakfast, or awards banquet (bouncer)? Or is our next auctioneer reading this right now?

Let me know!

*to get the t-shirt and raffle tickets, you have to actually DO the job you signed up for, of course.
Old July 31st, 2015, 15:09   #8
W386

Fuel Economy: 40 ó 50 {seasonal of course}.

I'm a Newbie, but willing to volunteer my help with any labor/project you decide to try me on. Should be there later on Friday, all Saturday & to mid Sunday…I expect? I'll look for someone in charge for directions. Peace….
Old August 5th, 2015, 05:34   #9
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

I've signed up for some of the events (such as the Mt. Wash drive).

Is there a more definite (not subject to be changed) schedule of the events so that I don't volunteer to be on site when I'm also elsewhere?
Based on the current schedule:
Saturday, (at least until the drive time), and Sunday, I can be available for whatever menial or physical (please, no mental) tasks I can fulfill.
I work on Friday and may arrive late so I can't offer my services for Friday duties.
I need to leave very early on Monday so that day's out for certain.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)

Last edited by Lug_Nut; August 5th, 2015 at 05:50.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 07:18   #10
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

I'll assist with the auction slideshow, I've still got the files from 2012 and 2013 so I can quickly get that going.

Also, if the trivia host needs assistance with writing questions (or if a writer is needed still altogether), I'm willing to help with that.

Waiting on other stuff to fall into place before I add more commitments to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 08:51   #11
car54
theGAME

You already know I got the AV work down.
Old August 5th, 2015, 09:54   #12
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Cool

My lodging is booked for the entire duration of the 'fest. I'm checking in on Thursday afternoon and checking out on Monday morning. I have all days available to help with 'fest activities. Not sure what to volunteer for yet but I'll figure that out when the time comes.

I am also bringing 4 commercial-grade UHF handheld radios on the GMRS/FRS channels to use at the 'fest. They are high quality radios, not cheap "bubble packs". I was originally planning to use a pair them between Lisa (g/f) and I but they could be used for on-site activities between 'fest volunteers. I also started a separate thread about having some radios for local on-site 2-way chit-chat.

Member SSBMWO

Why DIESEL is better:
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/efficiency.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/performance.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2014.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2016.html
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 15:09   #13
mrvermin
Veteran Member

I can help with watching over raffle/silent auction/merchandise tables for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, or anything else that needs doing ;-)

MrVermin

mrvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 16:38   #14
spacemonkeymafia
TDIClub Enthusiast

Default replies, replies, replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
You already know I got the AV work down.
Cool. I figured you'd probably end up responsible for it. I know that you, Jason, Lawson, and I will all kind of keep an eye on it. So, that one's covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
I'll assist with the auction slideshow, I've still got the files from 2012 and 2013 so I can quickly get that going.

Also, if the trivia host needs assistance with writing questions (or if a writer is needed still altogether), I'm willing to help with that.

Waiting on other stuff to fall into place before I add more commitments to the list.
Thank you! Lawson said he thought you’d help out with those items; glad to have confirmation. We may also be doing a slide show for the meet & greet…I’m sure more info will come your way soon. You know we’ll put you to work whenever you have some free time. Do you have any ideas for someone to actually do the reading of your trivia questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Is there a more definite (not subject to be changed) schedule of the events so that I don't volunteer to be on site when I'm also elsewhere?
I think there's a pretty solid schedule (except some tech session blanks) somewhere, but I'm not sure where; that's a Lawson question. Don’t worry too much about double-booking; we’ll work out the details when we’re closer and everyone has a better idea of what they are doing and when. We’ve always managed to work around the stuff people want to do in the past, so I’m sure we’ll make it work this time, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
My lodging is booked for the entire duration of the 'fest. I'm checking in on Thursday afternoon and checking out on Monday morning. I have all days available to help with 'fest activities. Not sure what to volunteer for yet but I'll figure that out when the time comes.

I am also bringing 4 commercial-grade UHF handheld radios on the GMRS/FRS channels to use at the 'fest. They are high quality radios, not cheap "bubble packs". I was originally planning to use a pair them between Lisa (g/f) and I but they could be used for on-site activities between 'fest volunteers. I also started a separate thread about having some radios for local on-site 2-way chit-chat.

I don't remember if Lawson and I brought our radios from work (or if we will bring them this time), so it's good to know there will at least be some there. As for where you'll end up volunteering...we'll stick you somewhere to be useful! (You wouldn't happen to want to try out auctioneering/raffle mastering or trivia asking, would you?? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by W386 View Post
I'm a Newbie, but willing to volunteer my help with any labor/project you decide to try me on. Should be there later on Friday, all Saturday & to mid Sunday…I expect? I'll look for someone in charge for directions. Peace….
Excellent decision! I jumped right into volunteering my first year and it was a great way to get to know people quickly and pretty much always have people to hang out with. You shouldn't have much trouble finding me or another organizer to put you to work once you're there. I hope to have a list out beforehand with where and when I'd like everyone to be, at least as a starting place. We're pretty much taking over one part of the hotel; we're not really spread out all over the place, so it shouldn't be too hard to find us.

Last edited by spacemonkeymafia; August 5th, 2015 at 16:50. Reason: more replies
Old August 5th, 2015, 17:02   #15
spacemonkeymafia
TDIClub Enthusiast

Thank you to everyone who has signed up so far! I know many of you have helped out in previous years, so I'm glad you'll be back.

We seem to have a lot of general "table" help, which is great, cuz we have a lot of tables that need watching over pretty much the whole weekend.

In addition to the bigger jobs (auction/raffle/trivia), I'm now looking for anyone who wouldn't mind helping out after the awards banquet/auction Sunday night, probably for about an hour or so. This will be to help distribute the auction items and help the cashiers keep things moving.

Also, is anyone going to be around on Monday, even for just an hour or two in the morning? There's a fair amount of stuff to be packed up and moved around that day, so any and all help is welcome. It's not all physically demanding work, so don't let a bad back or knee or whatever keep you from signing up (though we can use a few strong ones, too!).

Five more days to sign up to get a volunteer t-shirt and extra raffle ticket! (August 10th is the deadline) Who's next?