www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 7th, 2016, 08:31   #46
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post
Damn, did not expect that, shipping would be $130,
You would think shipping rates would fall with the price of fuel - wouldn't you? Fenders are light, but bulky. Thank you very much for checking for me. I will make some calls to places that show they have one on car-part.com. I just hate driving an hour to find out it's rusty/dented/wrong color, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
Time for a vacation in Florida, there are 3 different year MkIV Silver Jettas in my local u-pull-n-pay. They charge ~$50 per fender. For bulky items, check rates using the bus lines. One of the boating forums I used to frequent used "under the bus" shipping frequently for larger lightweight items that common carriers charge dearly for.
If I wasn't already running a rather full load on my trailer to Maine this summer, I'd offer fender delivery in return for a tank of #2. Do you cut the sealant attachment between the fender and the body with a wire?
Good idea... I will be doing some camping upstate soon... I will expand my search area to within driving distance of any vacation I take. My parents were just in Florida too... I should see if there are any in the Myrtle Beach area for them to bring home... hmmm...
Quote:
I pull them off and carefully pry at that area with the sealer.
Same here - the sealer doesn't seem too hard to separate. I don't worry about reapplying because from the large amount of sand/mud behind the liners - they aren't sealed all that well anyway!
Good idea... I will be doing some camping upstate soon... I will expand my search area to within driving distance of any vacation I take. My parents were just in Florida too... I should see if there are any in the Myrtle Beach area for them to bring home... hmmm...
Old June 7th, 2016, 05:17   #47
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Buying a house and moving has really slowed down my work on this car! But - I did pick up a really nice, clean matching fender over the weekend and got it installed. Now that it's assembled, I'll get it inspected and then tear into the DMF and suspension to get it fully fixed up.

*hopefully this link works**

Last edited by gforce1108; March 6th, 2018 at 20:29.
gforce1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 11:28   #48
deejaaa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: JETTA IS FOR SALE!

looks good.
Old June 7th, 2016, 16:57   #49
UhOh
Veteran Member

I am trying to locate a driver's side (left) Mojave Beige fender for a wagon. And then there's my Golf... (hard to find nice green Golf fenders).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 05:13   #50
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
I am trying to locate a driver's side (left) Mojave Beige fender for a wagon. And then there's my Golf... (hard to find nice green Golf fenders).
The wagon and sedan use the same fender even through the parts interchange lists them separate. www.car-part.com does is a good starting point (you'll have to search twice for both sedan and wagon), but craigslist and the vwvortex forums seem to be more useful. Try both the regional and generic MKIV Jetta/Golf classifieds. That were I found all the front end parts for this car.
Old June 8th, 2016, 11:59   #51
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

gforce, car looks familiar,

Uhoh, I'll see what's around here, we have a few VW sources. If you need something painted, my friend does a good job for reasonable rates.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 16:49   #52
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
gforce, car looks familiar,

Uhoh, I'll see what's around here, we have a few VW sources. If you need something painted, my friend does a good job for reasonable rates.
Yeah, I might take you up on that for the daughter's wagon.
Old June 8th, 2016, 17:00   #53
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeah, I might take you up on that for the daughter's wagon.
I'll post up pics of the Golf front end he painted for my 04 blue Wagon. Its not perfect but its pretty good.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 06:48   #54
gforce1108
Veteran Member

I guess I'm very slow at updating! I bought a house in 2016, built a garage in 2017 and had to run back and forth to where I was set up in a garage. But now that I'm almost settled in the new garage - I have the wagon mostly completed. With the pricing I've seen recently on these - it may end up being a good thing it took me so long! Two tires kept loosing air - took them in to have the beads cleaned and one stem replaced.

It had a check engine light for MAF out of range. VCDS showed no activity and stuck at 550, even unplugged. I swapped in a good MAF out of my parts Beetle and all is good with that, but I've had a couple of overboost / limp mode issues.

I drove it to work for the first time yesterday. When it's not in limp mode it pulls hard and runs nicely. Gotta check that VNT again and change that one last vacuum line between the N75 and the turbo (have spare actuator and N75).

I need to document what I did anyway for when I sell it so here it goes:
New from idparts:
ball joints
struts / mounts
shocks
sway bushings
tie rod ends
clutch/dmf/pivot ball/clip/throw out arm/hardware
shift tower rebuilt parts and bushings
upper clutch switch (was causing a RPM flare when shifting)
brake switch (wasn't bad - had multiple blown bulbs!)
trans fluid
engine cover bolt 'caps'
LCAs (audi TT version)
Cabin filter
I have fuel and oil filters to install.

New tail lights from ECS
good used Bosch MAF pulled from parts car, purchased from idparts
Replaced all vacuum lines
Old February 28th, 2018, 13:04   #55
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

gforce, how difficult is it to replace the LCA's if a person doesn't own a rattle wrench or a large set of tools?
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 19:29   #56
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI View Post
gforce, how difficult is it to replace the LCA's if a person doesn't own a rattle wrench or a large set of tools?
An air impact gun helps but isn't necessary. Not sure if it's better to do the front bolts with or without (air impact): that issue where the nut breaks loose inside (I've not run across that problem with the three cars I've done). That said, it can be a real battle on the passenger side. If I had a choice, though, I'd for sure want to use an impact. Oh! an electric impact would work as well (not real expensive; might be able to just rent).
Old February 28th, 2018, 21:24   #57
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Depends on where the car has been.

Down here in the south (no salt on roads!) things come apart without any special care you'd think never would. Like rear diff covers on a 2002 truck that has been used to launch boats -- in salt water!

Same thing, up north? Hahahaha... get out the chisels and, for larger bolts, the AIR CHISELS!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2018, 22:46   #58
UhOh
Veteran Member

Torches!

Nevada is probably OK there.
Old March 1st, 2018, 07:07   #59
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI View Post
The other replies have great info but I'll add my own $.02 I've changed many of these over the years. I do use an impact, but with a little penetrating oil both bolts should come out easily - even here in the northeast. I do not remove the 3 bolts from the ball joint. I separate the ball joint from the hub so I don't affect the alignment. Once the LCA is out, I rip the old rubber center out of the large bushing and then use a hacksaw to cut through the outer ring. They pop right out. I clean the surfaces and had been installing them with a hammer/vice and a large socket, but now I have a 20ton press. I only ever changed the front bushing on one set and found it to be unnecessary - I only do the large ones and replace with TT units.
Quote:
An air impact gun helps but isn't necessary. Not sure if it's better to do the front bolts with or without (air impact): that issue where the nut breaks loose inside (I've not run across that problem with the three cars I've done). That said, it can be a real battle on the passenger side. If I had a choice, though, I'd for sure want to use an impact. Oh! an electric impact would work as well (not real expensive; might be able to just rent).
I've been lucky as well with that nut staying in place, but it's always in the back of my head!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Depends on where the car has been.
Down here in the south (no salt on roads!) things come apart without any special care you'd think never would. Like rear diff covers on a 2002 truck that has been used to launch boats -- in salt water!
Same thing, up north? Hahahaha... get out the chisels and, for larger bolts, the AIR CHISELS!
VW did a great job with whatever rust/corrosion prevention they used. I get all sorts of rusted/rotted cars in my shop, but very few problems with hardware on VWs (fenders, etc. rust like crazy though!). I do have a 80 gallon compressor and a 3/4" impact if needed
Quote:
Torches!
Nevada is probably OK there.
Wish I had torches One day....
Old March 6th, 2018, 20:18   #60
gforce1108
Veteran Member

I did the oil change yesterday along with the trans fluid (knew I ordered it, couldn't remember if I had changed it after fixing the shift tower). This thread will have to be my reminder! I bought new Bosch Icon wipers for my 04 and pulled the good used ones to install on this car and then noticed there were a pair sitting on the back seat (from when I did the exact same thing last year and never put them on!). Too many projects at once...

I replaced the one last vacuum line from the N75 to the turbo. VNT moves free. Ran N75 output test and the VNT cycles as it should. Didn't have my vacuum pump here to test if it's opening/closing at the right vacuum levels. I'll check that tomorrow (snow day!) but doubt I'll get any logs as there is a super duty with no alternator blocking that bay... Odd that I'm getting overboost if the VNT is operating correctly.