www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old July 12th, 2015, 09:06   #16
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
Somehow once I go through and fix them up, I don't want to sell them.
Eric
That's how I ended up with a max of 13 cars once... plus 8 riding lawnmowers and at least a dozen motorcycles/quads, etc...
I kid around using one of Tim the toolman's (Tim Allen) quotes - "I need help. I'm thinkin of checkin into the Henry Ford clinic."
I did have one more MKIV - A beetle TDI that I bought blown up and rebuild for the wife (ex now). The 00 Golf 2.0 I had given to my son but it's been sitting since he passed away - just can't get myself to work on it. Just left the title today with the ex to let her sell it for me.
I'll hit him up with a lower offer - in the 1k range if he'll let me keep it at his house until I'm ready for it. I think they want the money more right now to put into another car.
Old July 13th, 2015, 10:55   #17
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Wagon's always fetch more, I would pay $1500 because I can do the work but always offer less, that way, they can only say no,
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 06:14   #18
gforce1108
Veteran Member

I dug back through my list of 'to do' items that I made for him about 2 years ago when I did the timing belt. I suspected the DMF at that point. Nothing else I had forgotten about - really just the worn out suspension and an upper clutch pedal switch (RPMs flare when shifting). I did forget one good point on this car... It was the first VW that I scanned with VCDS that had no errors at all.. Not one intermittant door switch/speaker anything!

So - since the my girlfriend started to encourage me to buy it (told me I have to buy her a new washer/drier if do) - I offered him $1000. Time to start ordering parts...

I finally have the catalytic convertor for the GTI so I can sell it - stupid NYS emissions laws (non Ca emissions on this car). Had to have a coworker in Pennsylvania order it for me since nobody will ship one to NY.
Old October 16th, 2015, 18:34   #19
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Picked it up today finally (owner needed to get replacement title). Drove it onto the dolly and then up and down the road once I got it home. Runs very well. Shifter is really screwed up. Lots of resistance side to side and can't get it into reverse. Almost done with the GTI to get it sold and start on this one.
One fender is rusty - hood and roof has some rust from stone chips. Probably paint the whole nose when it's ready...

Old October 16th, 2015, 20:08   #20
Hyde7278
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Golf GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce1108 View Post
Picked it up today finally (owner needed to get replacement title). Drove it onto the dolly and then up and down the road once I got it home. Runs very well. Shifter is really screwed up. Lots of resistance side to side and can't get it into reverse. Almost done with the GTI to get it sold and start on this one.
One fender is rusty - hood and roof has some rust from stone chips. Probably paint the whole nose when it's ready...

Check the shifter bushings. There's a post about not being able to get into reverse and it turned out to be the bushings were gone. Check desielgeeks web site he has some YouTube videos on the bushing issues
Old October 17th, 2015, 05:40   #21
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde7278 View Post
Check the shifter bushings. There's a post about not being able to get into reverse and it turned out to be the bushings were gone. Check desielgeeks web site he has some YouTube videos on the bushing issues
I have a set of bushings and a shift tower rebuild kit on the shelf, just in case. I'm going to disconnect the cables from the shifter to isolate which is the cause and go from there. Who needs reverse anyway?

I've never had to do a shifter alignment somehow (I work on 8 MKIVs with manuals) but I'm sure I will here. Thanks for the tips.
Old October 17th, 2015, 14:19   #22
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Looks like two problems with the shifter... The pin was seized into the housing and spinning at the 'arm' instead of within the teflon bushings. Tore it apart, cleaned it good and installed two new bushings (greased up). 1st through 5th are a breeze now, but still can't get it into reverse. Even manually moving the shift tower won't let me do it so I'll tear it open too. Still a big improvement.
Old October 18th, 2015, 13:07   #23
gforce1108
Veteran Member

I guess I should change the name of the thread since I bought it But - more progress today. Pulled the shift tower apart. For some reason, I couldn't find a procedure - but I figured it out. Upper seal and bearing were both shot. I have no idea how you are supposed to get that bearing out but I had to get seriously creative. I needed to use a dremmel wheel that was slightly smaller to cut a groove in a circle partially up the bearing race. The first attempt separated it into two pieces. The second attempt let me get just enough bite to drive the bearing out. Even after reassembly, it took a little wiggling to get it in reverse the first time (car not running). After that it shifts in/out of reverse and through all the gears perfectly.

Looked like water was getting into the shift tower (muddy looking residue). I have to pull the trans to change the DMF so I'll change the fluid at the same time.

Just realized that the new battery installed is a AGM one. Very nice.... Relatively new tires and a spare VNT 15 from a low mileage beetle that has no shaft play.
Old October 24th, 2015, 07:41   #24
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Little more time to spend on the car yesterday in-between other people's cars that need work. Owner's father (my coworker) mentioned 2 things - he thought the engine had bad blow-by because the fill cap bounced around and that he thought there was a leak in the car somewhere because it was musty.

I replaced all the vaccuum lines since a leak seems to be the biggest cause of false blow-by. Cap just dances around slightly now (didn't bother checking before). I'll still check the connection at the pump because it spins free (and try to seal it up).

As far as the leak:

Didn't get him in the picture, but the mouse was still in the cowl area when I started cleaning the nest out. I'm sure it was clogging the drains in that area. Cabin filter was ancient too:

Sprayed out the whole HVAC system with a deodorizer and the car smells much better now!

Changed fuel filter (I believe I was the last to replace it about 120k miles ago) and pulled the air filter to replace, but it was relatively new so I just cleaned the MAF.

Car still seems a little underpowered but I'm used to my highly modified BEW I do not believe the intake has been cleaned. I know I inspected it at 180k and again at 270k and the car felt decent then. I'm sure it's due...

Once I have a block of time to spend on it, I'll do the clutch and suspension work.
Old October 25th, 2015, 05:26   #25
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Replaced the upper clutch switch yesterday. 6 years ago when I did the second timing (one after dealer rebuild) I noticed an odd throttle hang when shifting. I posted about it (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=245115), but sometime later found the answer. The switch cuts fueling as soon as you start to hit the clutch. When the switch is bad, the throttle stays 'reved' for a second or so.

Also the brake lights weren't working. VCDS showed a brake switch problem so I replaced that as well, but only had the center light working. Broken bulb on one side and a damaged holder on the other. Repaired everything and all lights work now.

Drives easier with the new clutch switch.
Old October 25th, 2015, 10:35   #26
deejaaa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 59 latest mpg

plan on keeping or selling?
I am a tdi expert now.
A wise man told me "Cut Twice, Measure Nunce."
deejaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 10:51   #27
mrrhtuner
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce1108 View Post
Owner's father (my coworker) mentioned 2 things - he thought the engine had bad blow-by because the fill cap bounced around and that he thought there was a leak in the car somewhere because it was musty.

and he is a mechanic?
mrrhtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 15:42   #28
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa View Post
plan on keeping or selling?
Going to sell it when I'm done. I have way too many cars and they keep following me home. Time to thin out some more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrhtuner View Post
and he is a mechanic?
no - not at all. He does metal work. Machining - custom gun building/restorations mostly (hobby). Does nice work, but definitely not a mechanic.
Old October 30th, 2015, 06:11   #29
gforce1108
Veteran Member

More 'small' work before I move it in to jump on the clutch/suspension. Still gotta finish the GTI...
Found the sunroof drain disconnected behind the driver's door jam. Guessing when it had the 'recall' (clipping the ends off of the drains), they dislodged it. Instead of pulling the headliner, I pulled the fender (rusty - being replaced any way).

I knew there would be a bunch of junk behind the liner from the moss growing out of the body gap:

And there was:

I honestly think this was still easier than dealing with the headliner

I replaced the passenger side fender while I was in there - not as rusty, but not great. Cleaned up the rust on the rocker and fender well and painted with a 'hammered' look silver. Blends pretty decently.
Old November 29th, 2015, 18:29   #30
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Been spending time on the other cars... But did locate a decent reflex silver hood relatively local at a great price. Swapped it out today while the weather was nice:
Before:

After:

Still looking for driver's side fender