www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old May 8th, 2015, 11:22   #1
meerschm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: twice what my Sprinter gets
Default VW info on diesel, emissions.

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwcorp/info_center/en/publications/2015/04/VV2.bin.html/binarystorageitem/file/VIAVISION_e.pdf

Looks like VW removed this from the corporate web site.

linked from the corporate web site, this article includes discussion on future of diesel, and emissions control.

includes description of combined DPF/SCR, which looks to me like a closer match for North American emissions provided with the new EA288 engine than that included in the self study guides shared here previously.

All images in this issue are approved for
reprint, citing
VIAVISION as their source.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)

Last edited by meerschm; April 25th, 2016 at 14:43. Reason: add figure, update note that link is dead.
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 09:59   #2
Mike Warnalis

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Looks like a good read. I will take it into the bathroom.
Mike Warnalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 12:13   #3
P.h.Diesel

Fuel Economy: n/a break-in period

Teehee
P.h.Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 22:03   #4
bobthefarmer
Veteran Member

Default TeePee

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.h.Diesel View Post
Teehee
did you mean TP (toilet paper)
bobthefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 18:20   #5
blubugger

Default Misery loves company

Just curious....i do have the excellent 2014 JSW tdi..not a problem to report in the 20000 miles we have enjoyed it..well engineered, in my opinion....my guilt: some folks have said that statistically speaking, some people have died due to VW's emmision cheating...i submit that if that be the case...every auto in existance, especially any diesel vehicle has caused 'someone' to succumb to some arbitrary emmisions level.

Not to get too politically correct...if we as a human race did away with all vehicles...no one would then die from nox emmisions. Further, it is my opinion that if veedub has engineers that are adept enough to have their cars 'sense' that they are being tested....with no human input...they must have produced overall.....a very well-engineered cars..... EPA mandates again...aside.

So, having this problem put away, and i must say that i never get married to any vehicle. I am wondering if anyone, at this early stage of the game, has turned their TDI VW in for a different model or has had any luck persuing non-VW replacements?
blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 11:18   #6
pwolfe

Fuel Economy: awesome

I'm entertaining the idea of 335d when the dust clears from this.
pwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 11:29   #7
LarBear
Veteran Member

Re: blubuggers post it can also be statistically shown that everyone who'd ever eaten a carrot died. I find the people, MD's and others, who yank statistics out of the air and say such and such a thing if we could only eliminate it would save such and such number of lives, especially children's lives. Maybe if we all went back to shanks mare (walking for the youngsters) we'd all be healthier and there wouldn't be any evil emissions to kill anyone. Any takers?

I keep getting emails from the local VW dealer about their wonderful gassers. I'd be willing to bet that my TDI will out pull a 1.4 turbo up a good mountain, and likely be able to either stay ahead of one or close enough to not matter at 0-60 or 0-80 flat pull too. The 1.8 turbo would be a different story, but not close in fuel mileage.

I did read that a federal judge told VW that they'd best have a solution to the emissions "problem" by 21 April or get 'em off the road. I wonder how he plans to do that without some strong-arm tactics.
LarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 21:08   #8
punkie
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

"I did read that a federal judge told VW that they'd best have a solution to the emissions "problem" by 21 April or get 'em off the road."

This scandal is such a load of phooey. It keeps escalating and sounds like an anti-VDub conspiracy. Maybe we should close down the EPA for their environmental track record? Colorado, anyone?
punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 08:13   #9
xjay1337
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkie View Post
"I did read that a federal judge told VW that they'd best have a solution to the emissions "problem" by 21 April or get 'em off the road."

This scandal is such a load of phooey. It keeps escalating and sounds like an anti-VDub conspiracy. Maybe we should close down the EPA for their environmental track record? Colorado, anyone?
The US's general attitude to sueing everyone is not helping either. The amount of posts I've read on here about people wanting to sue VW over the "devaluing of the cars" or some other trife.

Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, 340hp 625nm Built and mapped by Bobby Singh , THS IC, Revo/Forge Custom Intake, Mocal Oil Cooler, 3 Eurojet TBE, AKS Quickshifter, Recaro Pole Positions, Schroth 4 point harnesses, Rear seat removal, R bumper, Carbon Fibre GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, AM DB9 front brakes, Audi S3 rears, Polar FIS, Hertz Audio
xjay1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 16:18   #10
Sctdi123

TDI(s): Mk6 golf

I didnt read this article ... but why not build them so that they are serviceable ... ie: un bolt said DPF , EGR ... have a machine (at service centers) to clean and repalce ... over the road equipment does this. The cost to replace/buy new all this is way to high for general public.

my 2 cents...B.
Sctdi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 17:19   #11
meerschm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: twice what my Sprinter gets

you have a good point. the sister figure from this article (published way before the brown stuff hit the fan) showed a similar version that did not need to use DEF. that one looked like it had a separable DPF. (with clamps)

the real reason is that cars are not really built to run millions of miles.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 18:16   #12
punkie
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjay1337 View Post
The US's general attitude to sueing everyone is not helping either. The amount of posts I've read on here about people wanting to sue VW over the "devaluing of the cars" or some other trife.
YES. Very sue-happy!

By far, the best response I've seen is from non-VW owners:

"Your car has been polluting the air my children and I breathe! You selfish TDI scumbags and your dirty diesels!"

*eyeroll*
punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 21:49   #13
czeetah
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjay1337 View Post
Well I have no desire to sue.

But let's face it. They created a product they knew was defective in a major way, lied about it, sold under false pretenses, etc etc

I can't blame people for wanting their hunk of flesh.

VW ain't saints here.
czeetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 03:47   #14
xjay1337
Veteran Member

I'm not saying they are good or bad. I'm just saying that

1) VW aren't alone in what they have done (in EU / UK many tests have shown other brands to produce too much emissions)
It's just that for some reason America has a huge dislike of products which are not "American" and specifically in the state of California hates diesel cars (cars in general lol)
2) The value of the cars IMO aren't effected. You as a consumer, your car is just as as fast (dyno tests show as more powerful infact) and your economy is still very good. The reasons you have bought the car are still valid.
3) How many hugely smokey pickup trucks with those Cummins diesels are people driving around without getting any of the hate....?

As mentioned above the general attitude is not of knowledgeable, informed opinions, but a media driven hatred towards VW TDI's, purely as a result of the media making this a huge issue, by people, who frankly know nothing about cars!

No-one seems to have the same attitude for older models over the years... it's just a bandwagon that people can jump on, which makes them feel better about themselves. Lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defeat_device

Hybrid VKLR, BSR Ported Head, BSR Valve Springs, BSR CP3, 340hp 625nm Built and mapped by Bobby Singh , THS IC, Revo/Forge Custom Intake, Mocal Oil Cooler, 3 Eurojet TBE, AKS Quickshifter, Recaro Pole Positions, Schroth 4 point harnesses, Rear seat removal, R bumper, Carbon Fibre GT24 Bonnet, VWR Spoiler, OZ 18x9 Et43, AM DB9 front brakes, Audi S3 rears, Polar FIS, Hertz Audio
xjay1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 10:43   #15
tadawson
Veteran Member

Well, if you are looking at a current Cummins, unless Goober-Bob raped the emissions system on it, it will tailpipe test just as clean as a TDI . . . and Cummins *IS* just about the best diesel you can get in a pickup . . . and owning one, I can verify this . . .

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote