www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old March 16th, 2015, 17:15   #1
nitec

TDI(s): 1.9TDi PD
Fuel Economy: What's fuel economy?
Default 2006 Audi A4Q Avant 2.0TFSI -> 2.0TDI (Holset edition)

Folks,

I've been collecting parts for a while and finally pulled the plug on this project...a majority of the leg work has been done by Demon Diesel (huge thanks - read and re-read your thread many times) here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=353866

I'm starting off with pretty much the same car as him - a 2006 Audi A4 Avant quattro 2.0TFSI 6spd. However, the engine configuration is quite different. I'm using a BEW out of a 2004 Jetta that's been stripped and rebuilt using BHW pistons for a slightly bigger displacement...full story on the engine can be found here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...330544&page=10

Where I stand right now:

2.0T is out of the Avant and sold

BEW is built and ready to go, turbo and all hardware is in, BPW accessory bracket and wiring harness is in, transmission received new mounting hardware and shifter bushings, picked up a few SDi manifolds from the UK last week (thanks MikkiJayne) to play with, picked out the Holset He221w as the turbo of choice and Mark Malone to do the tuning (using BEW ECU that will be re-tuned to a BPW configuration)...

I`m keeping the stock injectors right now until we max them out (which I expect will happen rather quickly). Due to the manifold/turbo configuration, the EGR and ASV are removed and should be deleted from the new tune

I think this is about it for now - hoping to have the engine in the car by the end of the week and start working on the plumbing...haven't decided which way to go with the air piping yet - I could use one or both of the stock intercoolers depending on which manifold I pick in the end...

Last edited by nitec; March 16th, 2015 at 17:38.
nitec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 06:13   #2
nitec

engine's in...
the transmission got a new set of shifter bushings and a new bottom mount bushing

did a bit of bay clean up:

after:

took a while to wiggle it in...

was wondering what to plug the original oil return line - found a Volvo M18x1.5 oil pan plug that fits right in
Old March 21st, 2015, 06:14   #3
nitec

BPW harness and BEW ECU in

oh and figured out why my washer fluid is constantly leaking out on my driveway...

DAYM!

got everything wired up, but my Flashzilla and my Vag-Com don't recognize the ECU...I`ll contact Malone to see if he can think of something - I didn't think there's any difference between the BEW, BHW or BPW ECUs from a hardware point of view...I was expecting the BEW will at least get recognized and the IMMO would kick in...will have to follow up on that

the turbo needs to be clocked up and a few oil lines and coolant lines made up - depending on the ECU issue I`m hoping to start this up by mid April

this is where it is today

Last edited by nitec; March 21st, 2015 at 06:20.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 17:06   #4
nitec

following up on the ECU issues...I went ahead and sourced out a BPW ECU and it's on its way over from EU...in the mean time Mark suggested I can get the BEW ECU sorted out on the bench if the B7 is having issues with the K-line...
I pulled out the wiring diagrams to figure out what's going on...
here's the BEW pinout for the K-line/CAN

3,5,6,18 : +12V ( term.30 )
1,2,4 : GND ( term. 31 )
72 : K Line
89 : CAN High
66 : CAN Low

I thought the B7 would be identical considering the plug is compatible however the BPG harness uses

3,5,6,18 : +12V ( term.30 )
1,2,4 : GND ( term. 31 )
86 : K Line
68 : CAN High
67 : CAN Low

The K-line coming from the cluster/ECU is wired to the OBD plug at pin 7 so that should work fine

Basically what I want to do now is re-pin the BPW harness for the BEW ECU and see if that fixes my no ECU response problem...the power pins are consistent between the two harnesses...

Last edited by nitec; April 2nd, 2015 at 17:12.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 17:15   #5
nitec

mmm this was a productive day

the BPW harness does not need to be modified in any way - all the lines are exactly where they need to be to match up with the BEW ECU...I checked the wiring again and discovered one of the power lines wasn't hooked up well...

BEW ECU in a B7 A4 using BPW harness

downloaded the file with FlashZilla and sent it over to Mark so he can do his magic

here's what else got done today

tackled the turbo and the intake

it's a little tight with the SDi manifold...it doesn't need much so I think an extra T25 flange and some longer bolts will sort us right out...

Old April 3rd, 2015, 17:27   #6
nitec

can't remember what this came from but it looks like it was made for the job

hooked up most of the wiring and did most of the coolant and boost lines...gotta get the turbo oil lines made up so I can fill the system up and fire up as soon as Mark gets my IMMO off
Old April 4th, 2015, 05:13   #7
nitec

started thinking about the fueling...I have the BEW filter etc but thinking of upgrading - there's plenty of room in the bay for a nice setup...
how about something like this?

with a universal filter head to allow for spin-on CAT or MANN filters at 2 micron...you can also see the water separator there

here's a quick list of parts:

Quote:
Fuel Filter Bases and Filters

Wix Filter Base 24770 Or Napa FIL4770 This is the one I used

2 micron fuel filters all interchangeable (threads 1-14 UNS-2B)
Caterpillar Filter 1R-0750
Fleetguard FF5320
Donaldson P551313
Baldwin BF7633 (BF7587, Long Version)
Wix 33528 Or Napa FIL3528 This is the one I used
Luber-Finer LFF3347
ACDelco TP1326
Purolator F65213
Hastings FF1079 (FF1056, Long Version)

Water Fuel separator mounts and filters
Filter Heads (1-12" Thread)
Perma-Cool 81794 High Flow Filter Head (1/2 NPT Inlet / Outlet)
Perma-Cool 81074 Fuel Filter/Water Separator Kit (1/2 NPT Inlet / Outlet)
Perma-Cool 88864 High Performance Filter Head (3/4" NPT Inlet / Outlet)
Fleetguard 142784S (1/2 NPT Inlet / Outlet)

Wix Filter Base 24309 Or NAPA FIL4309 This is the one I used

Fuel/Water Filters

Wix 33123 short 6 filter with drain and Wix 33418 for the 9 long one Both are 12micron filters. This is the one I used
the only thing I can see is the thermo T that the TDis use...
Old April 4th, 2015, 05:45   #8
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

that looks like a saab or volvo intercooler pipe ... i have both but can't remember which yours came from .... nice swap !
Old April 7th, 2015, 10:24   #9
Demon Diesel
Veteran Member

Finally we have another one of these and less than 1/2 a tank away!

I'm not surprised by the ECU issues you've had. Not all EDC16s are the same. Not even all EDC16U31. They can vary in internal parts (resistors,.... and what not). I started to do a detailed compare between the BPW and BHW ecu (which is close to the BEW) and noticed the resistor changes. BPW software can't be flashed by FlashZilla. I went down a long road with this and after dealing directly with the manufacture realized that it was just not supported. Things may have changed now as this was 2 years ago or so. If you're using BPW harness keep an eye on the 6 throttle pedal wires. 2 of them are on the wrong pins for the BEW ECU. You may also have some throttle pedal codes even after changing the wires around because the B7s use a newer throttle type. Keep me posted on your BEW ECU progress. I gave up way to early because I could see some key differences but I may be worth it. BPW ECU will bring up a whole new list of issues but does work.

Based on the speed of your progress I need to get in gear and start some of my upgrades. Should have my GTB2056 and Euro transmission in this summer. We'll have to meet up at some point. We may have the only two B7 TDIs in North America.

BTW, where did you pick up your shifter bushing kit?
Demon Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 08:22   #10
nitec

oh yeah - I`ll have a look at the throttle pedal to make sure we're good...worst case scenario I`m pretty sure I still have the BEW pedal as well...

the shifter bushing "kit" came from ECS...I`m not sure you really need to buy their kit - there was only 1 really needed piece in there and you could probably just pick it up from the dealer...my shifter ball (on the tranny side) didn't have a lick of grease on it and was rusting up...basically it was loose inside the plastic joint...I swapped with the new joint and packed it in with grease - feels a little better now...for best results I'd be swapping the shifter itself but that's down the road
Old April 9th, 2015, 10:57   #11
nitec

working on the oil/fuel/coolant hookups to finish this off while waiting for Mark Malone...

decided to try something a little different...I've got a 1.8T hard coolant line which plugs directly into the heater core plastic plugs left over from the 2.0t...unfortunately it goes right through the oil filter housing...I found my 1.8T oil filter housing and remembered that my old 2.0 8V uses a plastic cap for the housing to close off the PCV vent like so:

this puts the filter under the cooler and also allows me to use some of the bigger screw on filter canisters like the WIX 51333/Napa 1333/MANN 950/04

I`ll check the fitment of the setup tonight - there shouldn't be any issues with fitment as that's a standard longitudinal setup but we`ll see...the 1.8t housing uses a slightly different turbo feed route so I`ll finalize that before I get the turbo lines made up...

unfortunately I missed the parts deadline today so won't have them for this weekend
Old April 9th, 2015, 15:59   #12
ptcz

TDI(s): 2011 Egg TDI

nitec, when can i send you my 07 A4 for the same operation? 250hp please
ptcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 07:22   #13
nitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcz View Post
nitec, when can i send you my 07 A4 for the same operation? 250hp please
I've already got another BEW stripped down in preparation for the same build I was gonna swap it into my W8 but maybe not?
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:23   #14
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Nice swap - are you using the stock transmission? What are you doing for AC compressor?

What clutch? Spacer plate? Starter?

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:51   #15
nitec

good questions - I've answered all of them in the engine build thread referenced above and didn't want to drop all the pics here as well but maybe that's a good idea...

in any case:

Transmission: stock B7 2.0T 6spd - I see no need to upgrade the transmission considering what the BEW comes bolted to in the MK4...the B7 is well within those ranges with the 6th gear and I barely do any highway mileage where it may matter for that extra 0.5l/100km in savings

AC compressor: stock B7 clutchless unit - the BPW accessory bracket allows me to run that compressor without any issues

Clutch: Valeo 228mm SMFW kit for a 1.8T...unfortunately it's 228mm but nobody makes a reasonable 240mm kit yet and using one screws me up with the starter anyways. No spacer plate - I measured up the B5 and B7 transmissions and everything looked to be the same...didn't seem to run any interferences, the shaft interfaced with the pilot bearing with no issues...I`ll have to start driving it before I can give some actual feedback though

Starter: stock BHW unit (hence the 228mm clutch)

a few other points:

- Passenger side B7 engine mount didn't work on the BEW - had to use an older B5 mount I had

- B5 oil pan doesn't have provisions for the B7 front mount. On the B5, the bushing is mounted to the rad support, while in the B7 it's mounted to the oil pan...looking at Demon Diesel's swap - the BHW oil pan can accept both setups so I`m sure I`ll have to swap oil pans very quickly...I've left it as is for now but expect some vibration due to the lack of front damper right now...

- I`ll make a list of all part numbers I used to get this going so people can use it in the future...

hmmm...still waiting to hear from Malone...I would like to start this next weekend so hopefully he can sort the ECU out by then

oh - here's a question for you folks...what coolant temperature sensor is this supposed to run? I can't seem to find a 4 pin plug for the green top sensor used on the BEW in my BPW harness...also - judging from the locations of the cam and crank sensor plugs on the harness I'd say a few of them are different between the BEW and BHW...even the MAP sensor plug is located super close to the firewall and will need to be extended...

Last edited by nitec; April 10th, 2015 at 09:12.