www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Other VW Group TD(I)s

Other VW Group TD(I)s To keep with the theme of VW Diesels, this message area is for discussion of other VW Group Diesels. Yes, TD's are also welcome.

Old April 19th, 2002, 20:16   #1
piper106

Fuel Economy: 44/40/37
Default Front Engine Rear Drive TDI???

Is there/has there been a front engine rear wheel drive 1.9 TDI vehicle?? Or any other rear drive VW group vehicle that used an engine with the same clutch/transmission bolt pattern as the 1.9 TDI engine??

I am in the planning stage for a project to put a small automotive diesel engine into a light weight 'American traditional' (i.e. rear drive) car. The VW 1.9 TDI engine fits the bill for an engine I would need. Before I run off and start planning my own adapter to hook a TDI to a rear drive transmission, I thought I would ask what might be available from the VW part bins. I know my knowledge of VW's here in America is less than complete, and my knowledge of VW's European models is next to zero.
piper106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2002, 20:56   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Default Re: Front Engine Rear Drive TDI???

Well, I am not sure there is a whole lot in the parts bin to use. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] But, there is some information I can give you. First, Volkswagen/Audi supplied the inline six cylinders to Volvo for the 240 and 740 diesel cars (the latter having a turbocharger). They were used in Europe in the older LT fullsize, rear drive vans. These engines, however, share the same architecture as the inline 5 cylinders, so the bolt pattern is not the same as the fours. As far as swept volume, the 2.4L six was like a 1.6L 4 with 2 extra cylinders. They share the same pistons, valves, rods, etc. Volkswagen also sold a 2.0L gas four cylinder, also from the LT (and Audi 100LS) to AMC, of all people. It was used in the Gremlins or Pacers, as well as a whole bunch of US Postal Jeeps, and was also used in the early Porsche 924! And some 924s were turbocharged, too. Talk about a universal engine. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] However, I do not know what bolt pattern that engine used. But, they did (probably still do) sell the inline 6 in Europe in TDI trim, I believe. Hope this helps some! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2002, 22:54   #3
tjl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55/52/47 (mpg)
Default Re: Front Engine Rear Drive TDI???

Quote:
Originally posted by piper106:
Is there/has there been a front engine rear wheel drive 1.9 TDI vehicle?? Or any other rear drive VW group vehicle that used an engine with the same clutch/transmission bolt pattern as the 1.9 TDI engine??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There is a remote possibility that a Volvo 2xx or 7xx can accept an a3 TDI engine, since these cars had the option of a 2.4L diesel engine that was essentially a VW 1.6L diesel engine with two more cylinders. The engine bay in the Volvo 2xx is large enough to accept a Ford or Chevy V8 (conversion kits for such things do exist), so physical size is probably ok.

Other than that, there were diesel Vanagons, but that isn't exactly a "traditional" front engine, rear drive car.

Of course, AWD is both FWD and RWD, so maybe that can be a possibility?
tjl is offline   Reply With Quote