www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 11th, 2015, 13:21   #61
Johhny04
Veteran Member

Rest in Peace. Condolences to his family and friends.
Johhny04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 13:37   #62
mbishop

Fuel Economy: Low 40's

My condolences to his family. Bought a '09 Sportwagen from him new.
He literally spent hours with me going over everything in the car. Only
car salesman I have ever recommended. God speed
mbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 13:40   #63
crxgator
Veteran Member

Condolences to his friends and family.
crxgator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 13:44   #64
XM_Rocks

RIP Chris.
XM_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 16:49   #65
G60ING
Veteran Member

He was a super helpful person, he helped me track down a car when it wasn't even a sale for him. A huge loss for us but my condolences go to his family.
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 17:06   #66
OilBurnerDE
Veteran Member

Godspeed Chris.

:-(
90 Corrado Stage IV. 25 yrs and counting...
OilBurnerDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 21:49   #67
geodug
Veteran Member

Very sorry to hear the news. I read a lot of Chris' posts as well as the replies and was greatly impressed. It is so hard to find a car salesman that you can like and trust and he was definitely the top of the pile.

Even from the west coast I thought I would find a way to buy my next VW from him. Condolences to the family.
geodug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 04:18   #68
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

So sorry to hear this. Chris was always friendly and helpful to me.
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 08:01   #69
tdiot
Veteran Member

Very sad news. I spoke with Chris about extended warranties. He did not try and sell me anything, rather explained the benefits and gotchas with the program. Very professional and friendly chap. Condolences to his loved ones, huge loss for them. A highly respected professional in our community. RIP Sir.
tdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 08:37   #70
Ghostrider

TDI(s): 2012 JSW TDI

I just came across this thread and am shocked and saddened.

Chris was a standup salesman and one of a kind. I've been driving for 48 years and bought only one new car - my '12 JSW TDI - and it was from Chris. I was not happy with my local dealer's BS and I called Chris... he said no problem, come over and we can talk. My local dealer, Prestige VW in Turnersville, had claimed the Goal wheels were just not available. Chris not only got the wheels but even offered a better deal... no dickering needed. It was painless to deal with Chris. We joked about how most auto salesman were regarded about as well as lawyers. Whenever I was at the dealership I would say hello and he usually had Philly pretzels. In spite of his health issues he was upbeat. I will miss him.

Rest in peace Chris. I will get a pretzel today in your memory.
17" Goals, 6 MT, DG Shifter, DG skidplate, side moldings, 3M protective film, Sonniboy Sunshades, clear aspherical side mirrors, Whispbars, Frostheater, ID winter grille bras, P3 OBD gauge, Westfalia hitch and wiring.

Last edited by Ghostrider; March 12th, 2015 at 08:39.
Ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 09:22   #71
owr084
Veteran Member

It's kinda strange to be affected by the news of the death of a car salesman, given their overall reputation. But, Chris was one of the good ones. I did not buy a diesel from him, but he did sell me an Eos. He honored his original quote even though the price had gone up slightly when I picked it up.

We used to trek up to Langhorne to a few times each summer to go to the Sesame Place Water Park, just a short distance from Chris. Even before I had any intent of buying a VW, I made it a point to go over and meet Chris, just because of his reputation here on the board.

RIP Chris.
Old March 13th, 2015, 07:59   #72
LongEz

TDI(s): None yet

It was heartbreaking to read this thread. I didn't know Chris, and only only traded a few emails in the past month regarding my upcoming Golf purchase. He always answered quickly, and this being my first new car purchase, his reputation alone made it easy to make the travel to NJ worth it.

Can anybody post a picture of him here to put a face to the name?

Did Chris have immediate family? Wife? Kids? Maybe the community can do something nice for them. It might be enough to even forward them this thread.

On a personal note, it was easy to feel a kinship as Chris and I shared the same birthday based on his profile here.

Fwiw, I thought a quote from a recent email of his might be of interest to other forum members. I had asked him where his screen name came from.

"On the 3193 name, it was just the 4 digits in the address of the first real
mans job I had in Landscaping so I have kept it in my life for a few things!"

Rest in peace Chris,

LongEZ
LongEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 08:40   #73
BurlingtonVW

Hey everybody. Dave Pittman here from Burlington VW. Thank you all for the kind words about Chris Farnham. He was a dear friend to myself and an excellent co-worker. His knowledge of the VW brand and his relationships with all of his customers was second to none. He was a major asset to us here at Burlington VW. I wanted to write a reply on here to answer some of the questions you guys have.

Upon Chris's request there is not going to be a funeral service for him. Chris's only family member was his uncle and that is who we have been in contact with. Both of his parents died when he was young, he was raised by his grandmother who passed away a few years back, and did not have a family of his own. I tried to look around to find an online obituary or something but was unsuccessful. Maybe we can start one for him and talk about our favorite memories of him.

Whenever we were having a tough day here at work, you could always count on hearing the click of his cane on the tile floor come closer and closer until he was staring at you, he would call you every bad word he could come up with, and then start busting out laughing. Chris was just as helpful to his co-workers as he was to all his customers. I remember I was looking for a stick manual TDI golf, 2-door (still almost impossible to get), and we found one pretty far away. Chris called the dealer and a gentlemen named Pete answered the phone and Chris said, "ya know Pete, when I woke up this morning, I thought to myself, man, who is gonna help me out to find this car, and you were the first person to come to my mind, that would go above and beyond to make sure we could get this rare car". Pete responded with, "Chris I don't think we've ever met, I have no idea who you are." Chris said, "I know that Pete but I just know you'll help us out." Needless to say, we got the car. He had an awesome sense of humor (if you ever dealt with him, I'm sure you know that) and will be missed by all of us here at Burlington VW.

On a side note, we have created a new username, BurlingtonVW (out of respect for Chris we will not be using his 3193 username),and we want to continue to offer all of the members of the TDI club the exceptional service you have come to expect with dealing with Chris Farnham. If anyone has any questions, concerns, or needs with there past, pending, or future transactions with Chris, please contact me directly.

Thank you again for all the kind words you guys have said about Chris. He will truly be missed.

Dave Pittman
Burlington VW
4500 Rt 130
Burlington NJ 08016
609-386-0084 ext 229
609-386-6087- fax
dpittman450@gmail.com
BurlingtonVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 13:13   #74
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Thanks for the update Dave. He clearly touched a lot of people around here.
Old March 13th, 2015, 13:53   #75
Aztraveler
Veteran Member

While I never met Chris, however he helped me on the deal on my 2014 JettaTDI. My dealer made me an offer on my 2012 JettaTDI and offered a deal on a 2014 JettaTDI.

Chris confirmed the offers were good.

I had a quote from him in my pocket on the extended warranty, when I finalized the deal. It confirmed this dealer wasn't jacking up the price on the warranty. If they had I was prepared to buy from Chris.

I bought my 2012 from a different dealer and I feel I was over charged for the extended warranty. It was like pulling teeth to get the balance back after I traded in my 2012.

He will be missed. I always enjoyed reading his posts. He opened our eyes to the possibilities.

My God rest his soul.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Aztraveler is offline   Reply With Quote