www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old March 4th, 2015, 04:25   #31
50harleyrider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmoto3 View Post
lets see i have pics and listed everything, but yes im using the stock dakota transfer case, yes its a 5 speed manual a nv3550, used the coty hpa jeep adapter and i used a 1z not an alh, I probably the only one that likes the 1z and ahu better. at the moment its like driving my old chevy s10 with the 2.2l lol, but soon I'll receive the new ecu, injectors, and then get a tune, and it should be sweet.
You may need a bigger turbo too. Turbo, bigger ic circuitry and a big exhaust really turns those engines loose. There's not much difference in the 1.9 VE engines potential wise. 180 HP should move your Dakota nicely.

Last edited by 50harleyrider; March 4th, 2015 at 04:29.
50harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 07:32   #32
jetmoto3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50harleyrider View Post
You may need a bigger turbo too. Turbo, bigger ic circuitry and a big exhaust really turns those engines loose. There's not much difference in the 1.9 VE engines potential wise. 180 HP should move your Dakota nicely.
having the new ecu moves it awesome having that old bad ecu always running in limp mode was the issue with power now it runs nice feels just like the v6 that was in it, but i have .216 injectors and a malone stage 3 tune that are being shipped that im waiting for and it should be a mean truck just hoping the mpg doesnt get too affected by all that.
jetmoto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 07:41   #33
LRTDI
Veteran Member

Think I'd be looking at one of those Isuzu four cylinder turbo diesels in something that big. Just don't know what box you could adapt to it.
LRTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:31   #34
jetmoto3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTDI View Post
Think I'd be looking at one of those Isuzu four cylinder turbo diesels in something that big. Just don't know what box you could adapt to it.
if i wanted power i would have done a 4bt(or a 12v) but with all my 4bt conversions the mpg wasnt the greatest, also the tdi moves the dakota really well and is nice and silent on the freeway its just a better diesel all around, quiet packs a lot of power and smokeless after all the diesels Ive played with its my favorite.
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:48   #35
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

4BTs and Isuzu 5.2s drive like tractors, unfortunately. Low redline, huge displacement, torque for days. They leave a bit to be desired in something like a Dakota. I think the TDI with a proper amount of power (140 hp or so) would be plenty sufficient and actually have a reasonable power band.
Old March 4th, 2015, 11:47   #36
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
4BTs and Isuzu 5.2s drive like tractors, unfortunately. Low redline, huge displacement, torque for days. They leave a bit to be desired in something like a Dakota. I think the TDI with a proper amount of power (140 hp or so) would be plenty sufficient and actually have a reasonable power band.
this
Old March 4th, 2015, 12:45   #37
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
this
Yup.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 12:59   #38
50harleyrider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmoto3 View Post
having the new ecu moves it awesome having that old bad ecu always running in limp mode was the issue with power now it runs nice feels just like the v6 that was in it, but i have .216 injectors and a malone stage 3 tune that are being shipped that im waiting for and it should be a mean truck just hoping the mpg doesnt get too affected by all that.
Yep. Until I got a tuned GQ ecu (RC2) in my B4, it was always headaches. I'm like the rest about 4bt's -too tractor like. Looks like you mad a good choice. One more tuned cylinder would probably pull my F-150 fine. Looks like those engines are hard to get though. I've been looking in ebay UK for one.

Last edited by 50harleyrider; March 4th, 2015 at 13:01.
50harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:51   #39
annieneff
Veteran Member

Any updates? How is it going down the road?
annieneff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 16:56   #40
jetmoto3
Veteran Member

the injectors showed up and now the ecu and injectors are installed. took it for a drive and its just like it was with the v6 now. drives awesome just my turbos not boosting the greatest till i get the chips with the tune.

Old March 12th, 2015, 20:50   #41
frozenplum4

TDI(s): none for now

Looks good! It seems like you did it in a relatively short amount of time (3-4 months). Any tips for doing it like this?
frozenplum4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 07:16   #42
jetmoto3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenplum4 View Post
Looks good! It seems like you did it in a relatively short amount of time (3-4 months). Any tips for doing it like this?
that's kind hard to answer, because it depends on peoples skills, but I would have to say knowledge and doing everything yourself. the biggest time consuming things are if you have to have someone else do the work or if you change your mind on what you want in the middle of the swap. you really need to know engineering if you do everything yourself though, because there is so much math and physics that go into building mounts, and restructuring the drive train. I have also done many cummins swaps, and the tdi was fairly simple due to the fact that is weighs so little, and is pretty small, so no suspension work or fabing was needed.
Old March 13th, 2015, 23:05   #43
evguy1

Quote:
I have two tractors and also two Dakota's. I dont think the Dakota's drive like my tractors. ;>)
99 Dakota dually dump truck with Isuzu 4HF and NV4500 nice shop truck but geared too low for much highway use.
2008 Dakota with Cummins ISB 170 and NV4500.
Nice highway truck and pulls our fith wheel from coast to coast with no problems.
Looking forward to seeing how the little 1.9 TDI pulls our Cherokee.
evguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 11:16   #44
jetmoto3
Veteran Member

so the other day a got the chips and there installed, but i accidently broke a banjo bolt so im waiting for it till i can drive it. cant wait they told me it should be 150hp and 300flbs torque
Old March 16th, 2015, 21:16   #45
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

That should get it moving along quite nicely.