rear axle beam

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Apparently there are some poly ones being made, however, getting them might be a bit of a challenge.

Found this, translated says, 'Rear beam bushings - VW Passat B3 B4 - set of 2 pieces.

Around $38 at the current exchange rate for the zloty.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Received a response back from the company that makes these today. 140 pln for the bushing set for rear axle and 70 pln for post.

At current exchange rate (as of this moment...lol) works out to about $56 for bushings delivered. Also, seller accepts paypal which is good. Exchange rate via paypal will be less attractive however. I would expect to pay at least $65 US when it's done based on past paypal exchange rate mechanism.

Steve

Last edited:

cal327

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4 passat, 1999.5 golf, 1998 jetta
Wish I had waited and got the polyurethane now, that job is one I'd rather not do twice! But my brakes are better now, so I guess it brought more good than bad

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Wish I had waited and got the polyurethane now, that job is one I'd rather not do twice! But my brakes are better now, so I guess it brought more good than bad
I'm undecided about these really. I like the idea of not having to do the job again but I'm concerned that poly isn't the best solution, and as I've read from others poly can squeak. It's also not very forgiving as far as cushioning. I have already ordered in rubber so that's what I'll install but I might get a set of the poly and put it on the shelf for when the rubber falls apart, which they will.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I'm sure poly would be fine, since it's a pivot point. The springs and shocks are doing most of the work.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'm sure poly would be fine, since it's a pivot point. The springs and shocks are doing most of the work.

-Todd
You could be right, I hear difference of opinion on it though. Some say the squeaking gets to be too much, others that it might cause more stress on the beam mounting brackets where connects to the body.

When my new mounts go south I'll reconsider the poly option. Since I went ahead and ordered new rubber I ordered this as well from another site:

cal327

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4 passat, 1999.5 golf, 1998 jetta
Much better tool than was used on my install...ball joint press and a very carefully used air hammer.