www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Beetle 2012+

VW Beetle 2012+ Discussion area for the 2012+ Beetle TDI (sometimes call the New New Beetle) based on the PQ35 platform.

Old January 9th, 2015, 11:01   #1
maybe368
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Happily none
Default '14 Beetle backup lights

I love my car, but 1 thing is very annoying and potentially dangerous, the crumby backup lights. I can hardly tell if they are on, the worst I have seen. Is it a problem with my car or has anyone else had this issue? Thanks...Mark
1968 Chevrolet Impala SS conv 396 325 HP #s matching
2017 Toyota 4Runner Off Road, loaded Thanks VW looking for older TDI
maybe368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 11:50   #2
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

The Beetle back up lights have two things against them. They are very high up and point straight back. Also they use piddly little 921 bulbs. Basically a slightly brighter 194 peanut bulb. They are shining too high and not very bright so about the only purpose they serve is to indicate to other motorists your intent to back up.

I have been looking at LED replacement bulbs and some sort of utility light under the bumper wired up to the reverse lamps. I have found some bright bulbs on Amazon. Also I picked up a LED DRL kit from Northern Tool to experiment with. I think one or both will vastly improve the situation.

Jason
Old January 12th, 2015, 12:52   #3
maybe368
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
The Beetle back up lights have two things against them. They are very high up and point straight back. Also they use piddly little 921 bulbs. Basically a slightly brighter 194 peanut bulb. They are shining too high and not very bright so about the only purpose they serve is to indicate to other motorists your intent to back up.

I have been looking at LED replacement bulbs and some sort of utility light under the bumper wired up to the reverse lamps. I have found some bright bulbs on Amazon. Also I picked up a LED DRL kit from Northern Tool to experiment with. I think one or both will vastly improve the situation.

Jason
Thanks Jason, I wounder if super bright leds would help. Maybe there is a way to get them to point more down, but adding after market leds is probably the best. Let me know how the Northern Tool kit works...Mark
Old January 14th, 2015, 11:44   #4
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I found that SuperBrightLED uses a 194 spec bulb(LED) to replace the 921, where as the seller on Amazon sells a 921 spec bulb(LED). Only reason I'm going that route.

The idea for the Northern Tool lights was because I have seen plenty of trucks with small utility or clear fog lamps under the rear bumper for working behind the truck, hooking up a trailer in the dark, etc. I figured I could mount them slightly up under the plastic edge and have them shine down onto the pavement instead of hanging under the bumper where they can get kicked and knocked off.

I need to get on the lights idea now that I have a long driveway to back out of before sun rise every morning.

Jason
Old January 14th, 2015, 19:01   #5
maybe368
Veteran Member

Quote:
I found that SuperBrightLED uses a 194 spec bulb(LED) to replace the 921, where as the seller on Amazon sells a 921 spec bulb(LED). Only reason I'm going that route.

The idea for the Northern Tool lights was because I have seen plenty of trucks with small utility or clear fog lamps under the rear bumper for working behind the truck, hooking up a trailer in the dark, etc. I figured I could mount them slightly up under the plastic edge and have them shine down onto the pavement instead of hanging under the bumper where they can get kicked and knocked off.

I need to get on the lights idea now that I have a long driveway to back out of before sun rise every morning.

Jason

I feel your pain, My drive is not that long. but it was made for a model T and the curbs are about 8 inches high on both sides and it would be really easy to take out my oil pan. It is pitch dark, but I now see the light hitting my neighbor's house across the street, would work pretty good if it were aimed farther south. I mounted a couple of utility lights from a tractor on my Cummins, but it has a lot more ground clearance than the bug...Mark
Old February 9th, 2015, 04:48   #6
Big Poppa Pump
Veteran Member

Quote:

Jason
Jason,

Did you install the LED bulbs yet? What's the verdict and do you have a link for the bulbs you bought from Amazon.
Big Poppa Pump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 08:00   #7
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Default '14 Beetle backup lights

The LED DRL kit from NortherTool is more about being seen than to see by. I mocked it up and it is about as good as the standard back up lights on some other cars I have owned.

Plan B - a clear lens fog lamp, preferably slim rectangular so I can tuck it up out of harms way and not tacky looking.

When I buy from Amazon, most of the time, anything I saved from previous search is gone and the suggested results 'might' be useful. Here is an example (DISCLAIMER; I didn't buy these, just a representative result of search on Amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/3157-white-bul.../dp/B0083VPGHA

Usually I find more useful results down the page in "related search" and "also bought" sections.

Jason

PS; the wife made me put up lights on the garage so she can see backing out the driveway. It's an improvement but still need the work on the car.

Sent from my iPhone
Old February 9th, 2015, 10:36   #8
maybe368
Veteran Member

I have been looking around and came up with these . I do not know enough about them and my first question would be: Can they be connected directly to the backup light circuit? They are weatherproof and have an adhesive backing. I think they would be a perfect solution, if they can be...Mark
Old February 13th, 2015, 14:40   #9
Hintertux
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42

Found tons of LED replacements for 921 bulb, here are a couple

ZXMOTO 10 x Super Bright Xenon White T10 360° 5SMD 168 194 2825 Car LED Bulbs Light Lamp 2-yr warranty

Partsam 42-3528-SMD 6000K White 912 921 Backup Bulb Lamp

Would love some feedback from folks who may have tried them.

This manufacture talks to flickering light out issues (they don't call out 921 thought): Lumen® 194CA - Replacement LED Bulb (194, Amber)

Good write up: What do I Need to Know About Installing LED Bulbs into my Car?

Looks like you have to install a resistor too (you need to research which one): Lumen® DCDR50W6 - LED Load Resistors

Last edited by Hintertux; February 13th, 2015 at 14:52.
Hintertux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 15:27   #10
maybe368
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintertux View Post
Found tons of LED replacements for 921 bulb, here are a couple

ZXMOTO 10 x Super Bright Xenon White T10 360° 5SMD 168 194 2825 Car LED Bulbs Light Lamp 2-yr warranty

Partsam 42-3528-SMD 6000K White 912 921 Backup Bulb Lamp

Would love some feedback from folks who may have tried them.

This manufacture talks to flickering light out issues (they don't call out 921 thought): Lumen® 194CA - Replacement LED Bulb (194, Amber)

Good write up: What do I Need to Know About Installing LED Bulbs into my Car?

Looks like you have to install a resistor too (you need to research which one): Lumen® DCDR50W6 - LED Load Resistors
I don't think that replacing the bulbs with led's would help because the problem is that the light is sent out into space and not down to the ground. The led's that I linked to above look like they may possibly be installed down below the bumper pointed straight down to the ground. My backup lights do a great job of lighting up the license plate on my across the street neighbor's car, but does nothing to show what's on the ground behind my car...Mark
Old February 14th, 2015, 10:31   #11
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I think those light strips will give the "Fast 'N Furious" neon look rather than shining useful light. Just my opinion.

Jason
Old February 14th, 2015, 13:55   #12
maybe368
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think those light strips will give the "Fast 'N Furious" neon look rather than shining useful light. Just my opinion.

Jason

That is what I am wondering. There is a black part of the rear bumper that faces down at a good angle to the ground. I wonder if I could us some other type of led bar and attach it there and to the backup light circuit...Mark
Old February 16th, 2015, 14:06   #13
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Something I just thought of, they make clear LED strips like the red LED strips on the back of pickups. That under the bumper facing down should light the ground nicely.

Jason
Old February 16th, 2015, 17:58   #14
maybe368
Veteran Member

Quote:
Something I just thought of, they make clear LED strips like the red LED strips on the back of pickups. That under the bumper facing down should light the ground nicely.

Jason
Thanks Jason. Are they factory or after market?...Mark
Old February 18th, 2015, 10:42   #15
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I'm thinking of those aftermarket ones the truck guys put between the bumper and tailgate. Still trying to convince my dad to put one of those on his truck. I have do some digging to see if I can find a retailer for the clear ones.

Jason