BEW / Cherokee swap

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
Hi Everyone.
I have started a new conversion and have lots of questions which I hope I can get help with.
I picked up a clean 2000 Jeep Cherokee 5 speed earlier in the year and got started by pulling the 4L out and stripping the interior. Then work and life got in the way and its been sitting for a few months.
Looks like I will have some time over the next few months and so have started to work on the Jeep again.
I picked up a transmission adapter from Coty which I may change for one of my own. My company builds adapters for converting to electric drives.
This is my forth diesel swap but first VW one so I'm familiar with the work, just not this engine.
So here are my first questions.
I'm fighting hood clearance and wonder what the valves on the top of the intake are and if they can be deleted?
Is there a lower profile intake that I can substitute onto the BEW?
Is there any room in the oil pan to notch it for front axle clearance?
Whats the easiest way to post pic's to this forum?

Thanks for any responce.

rentstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 05, platnum
The valves on the top part of the intake manifold for exhaust gas recirculation (egr) and anti shutter. To remove those the engine will need to have those items "turned off" in a tune. You can also remove the egr cooler then. On the lower part of the intake manifold is the swirl valve. It opens up the second intake runner at a determined level to help with emissions, and a little but of performance..

Hope that helped

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
The valves on the top part of the intake manifold for exhaust gas recirculation (egr) and anti shutter. To remove those the engine will need to have those items "turned off" in a tune. You can also remove the egr cooler then. On the lower part of the intake manifold is the swirl valve. It opens up the second intake runner at a determined level to help with emissions, and a little but of performance..

Hope that helped
Thanks for the info.
So removing the swirl valve wont dramatically effect performance?

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
It would probably help performance. It is only there for US emissions requirements. The PD150 engines did not get them...

Also, an intake like that would be fine to do. The intakes on a VE and a PD engine are interchangeable.

Thanks for the info.
So removing the swirl valve wont dramatically effect performance?

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Removing the intake allowed me to raise
the engine quite a bit which gives me good axle clearance and turbo / frame clearance.

DSCF2478

Last edited:
TDI
alh tj project
i'm curious to see what you do for motor mounts. and the jeep accessories.

Last edited:

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Got my adapter today. Its a two part setup.
First part bolts to the TDI block and second part is the trans adapter plate which bolts to the TDI adapter in any position which allows you to clock the motor to any angle.
DSCF2996

First part bolted to the block

DSCF3001

Trans plate in place.
DSCF3002

Motor bolted to trans.
DSCF3011

Stock Jeep starter fits.
DSCF3012

Building motor mounts next and hope to have it sitting on them for next week.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Nice project! I am interested in this conversion. My son and have talked about doing a Jeep Cherokee TDI conversion.

Have you done any calculations to determine engine RPM in top gear at cruising speeds?

Where do you plan to post the Ranger build?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
not sure what your plan is on the oil filter housing but you may want to look at a BRM housing ... same flange pattern but the housing itself tucks in much closer to the block than the BEW unit ... that is a great looking adapter btw... are you doing an adapter for the flywheel? or a custom offset flywheel for the vw crank ?

Last edited:

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
not sure what your plan is on the oil filter housing but you may want to look at a BRM housing ... same flange pattern but the housing itself tucks in much closer to the block than the BEW unit ... that is a great looking adapter btw... are you doing an adapter for the flywheel? or a custom offset flywheel for the vw crank ?
Thanks Jimbote, building an adapter for the crank to take the stock Jeep flywheel and building a plate for the block to allow a remote spin on oil filter.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Are you sure the Cherokee 5 sp can handle the torque? That BEW will have a lot more low end torque especially if you mod it up much. It should be a lot more mannerly than a 4bt though. Be careful "clocking" your engine much due to oil pan and pickup issues. Good luck! Hopefully I will soon figure out which TDI engine to put in my 4x4 F-150. The 5 cylinders just aren't around.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Are you sure the Cherokee 5 sp can handle the torque? That BEW will have a lot more low end torque especially if you mod it up much. It should be a lot more mannerly than a 4bt though. Be careful "clocking" your engine much due to oil pan and pickup issues. Good luck! Hopefully I will soon figure out which TDI engine to put in my 4x4 F-150. The 5 cylinders just aren't around.
cherokee 4.0 liter 5 speed can more than handle the torque ... ax15/r150 used in turbo supras and other high output applications

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
This late modle Cherokee has the NV3550, hopefully they are also able to handle the torque?
They use them in the 4x4 conversion forum all the time behind 4bts. Your BEW won't have 1000rpm torque spikes like the "tractor" engine does.:)

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Nice project! I am interested in this conversion. My son and have talked about doing a Jeep Cherokee TDI conversion.

Have you done any calculations to determine engine RPM in top gear at cruising speeds?

Where do you plan to post the Ranger build?
I have not done any calculations, prefer seat of the pants testing. :)
Have not posted anything on the 2005 Ranger yet but this is where its at.
Same clockable adapter, with differant trans plate.
Moved the trans ahead 2" and used a drive shaft spacer which I have done in the past with no problems.
I'm trying the automatic to see how it performs but have a 5 speed on hand if its a dog or cant get the ECM to shift the trans properly.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Here is the remote oil filter block.
It has outlets for the turbo feed, stock TDI sender and a second sender port if needed.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you have any websites for the engine/transmission adapter you are using? I'm not familiar with Coty. I got an email from Frans and he's gonna try to start importing 2.5 VE 5 cylinder engines.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I am far from a TDI expert at this point but the gasket is the same for ALH, BEW and BHW so the adapter should work on all of them?

The trans adapter and oil filter adapter are parts I had built.
I hope to sell them once we get a couple made, installed and actually tested but no time frame for that yet.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you composite board mockup of the transmission adapter and then scan it into a CAD file so you could fab the aluminum on a CNC machine? I want to use a 5R110 transmission/flex plate/starter and TC on my conversion. I think the inline 5 cylinder TDI and V6 TDI all have the same pattern on the block as your BEW, ALH, BHW. That 2 piece adapter and the proper crank adapter would be a very marketable plate set for different TDI conversions and give us more options than the famous Cummins torque monsters. Great work!

Last edited:

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Do you have any websites for the engine/transmission adapter you are using? I'm not familiar with Coty. I got an email from Frans and he's gonna try to start importing 2.5 VE 5 cylinder engines.
Google search Coty Built, it used to be just HPA Motorsports, but then the made an offshoot company called Coty for the jeep conversion stuff:
http://www.cotybuilt.com/

I'm waiting for their kit for a JK, and put a TDI into a newer 2-door JK.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Google search Coty Built, it used to be just HPA Motorsports, but then the made an offshoot company called Coty for the jeep conversion stuff:
http://www.cotybuilt.com/

I'm waiting for their kit for a JK, and put a TDI into a newer 2-door JK.
I wish Jeep made a truck comparable to my F-150. I'm floundering right now. Just not much consumer interest in newer F-150 swaps. Every adapter company is focused on Super Duty Cummins swaps or Jeeps. Thanks for all the info. Didn't mean to highjack your thread evguy1. I'm just about ready to buy another thirsty 5.4 for my truck and forget it.

Last edited:

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I wish Jeep made a truck comparable to my F-150. I'm floundering right now. Just not much consumer interest in newer F-150 swaps. Every adapter company is focused on Super Duty Cummins swaps or Jeeps. Thanks for all the info. Didn't mean to highjack your thread evguy1. I'm just about ready to buy another thirsty 5.4 for my truck and forget it.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12503_8000_07.htm

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
Not highjacked, just expanded. ;>)
I sure love the Cummins ISB170 in my Dakota.
It would work very well the the F-150 as well.