www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 28th, 2015, 08:20   #16
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIDaveNH View Post
$100 to be done with it and it's a one-time, rebuildable expense...worth it!
Couldn't tell you whether it's actually being sold as rebuildable or not. I had considered it a while back but couldn't justify it since I haven't actually had one fail...ever.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 08:30   #17
TDIDaveNH
Left Lane Coal Roller at Large

TDI(s): 1997 Passat

This is the first time I've had one fail on me but do vaguely remember the mustang pulley mention years ago and thought it worth while to pursue but really, they are best just to carry a spare or always check it every once in a while.

Last edited by TDIDaveNH; February 28th, 2015 at 11:07.
TDIDaveNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:03   #18
GTiTDi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Macht Schnell! Vendor
w/Business number

Location: 3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachusetts

I had no problems making the mustang pulley work. To each his own as usual.
GTiTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 11:28   #19
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Your fabrication skills are above others as well
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:29   #20
TDIDaveNH

But what exactly did you do to make it work? Inquiring minds want to know. Did it happen to have a bearing with a 15mm bore or was some adaptation necessary?
Old February 28th, 2015, 14:15   #21
GTiTDi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Macht Schnell! Vendor
w/Business number

I have a collection of various spacers and bushings and found one that fit. Sorry I am vaca at the moment, too far from my shop to be able to show you exactly how I did it.
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:17   #22
TDIDaveNH

In playing around with the roller last night, I found that there are two different OEM plastic rollers, something Abacus had mentioned to me recently that I had forgot. Well, in rooting around I happened to have one of the earlier single bearing rollers, (028 145 278 A) started looking at it and realized it had a 17mm hub diameter as well as the same 6203 bearing found in the Gates metal roller. Seems the smaller double bearing roller (028 145 278 E) has the 15mm hub and will not work with the Gates roller. Since the single bearing roller was getting lumpy and noisy, I decided to press it out just for fun, knowing what I'd find but never having actually viewed it before. So like the double bearing roller that is two halves glued together, this one is molded around the bearing.

Here we have the 17mm hub with 19mm hex from roller 028 145 278A on the left with it's corresponding press-fit spacer sleeve and the 15mm hub, 17mm hex from double bearing 6002RS from roller 028 145 278E also with it's press-fit washer spacer on the right.

This turned out to be as easy as you can imagine, no mods necessary as long as you've got the 17mm diameter hub:

And finally, how it all works
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:19   #23
GTiTDi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Macht Schnell! Vendor
w/Business number

Awesome Dave! I knew I didnt have that hard of a time with it
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:35   #24
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Nice work! Time to head out and round up a couple early single bearing serpentine belt rollers!

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:43   #25
TDIDaveNH

It's all about starting with the correct hub. Folks if you have a failed single bearing tensioner, don't toss it out... Save that hub & sleeve!!! Chris, I was wondering how you did that, like what the trick was but there is no trick. For those that have only the 15mm hub, That may still work, but you'll have to swap the bearing out to an oddball 15x40 size and possibly play with the back spacer to make it work. I seem to think that the smaller bearings that are doubled up fail sooner than the big single since the cooling of the two sides that are against each other is non existent. Bearing cooling with the OEM single bearing roller is better and even better still with the metal pulley with the added bonus of replaceability.

Last edited by TDIDaveNH; March 4th, 2015 at 10:50.
TDIDaveNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 11:07   #26
993er
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Add to the bearing list WBD bearings that use a high temperature grease and have other features.

993er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 12:34   #27
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Keep in coming guys! I'll add this information as soon as possible; including yours 993er.

TDIDaveNH, do you mind if I copy the images to my server as backup and link them into the posts above later today?
Old March 4th, 2015, 12:39   #28
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIDaveNH View Post
It's all about starting with the correct hub. Folks if you have a failed single bearing tensioner, don't toss it out... Save that hub & sleeve!!! Chris, I was wondering how you did that, like what the trick was but there is no trick. For those that have only the 15mm hub, That may still work, but you'll have to swap the bearing out to an oddball 15x40 size and possibly play with the back spacer to make it work. I seem to think that the smaller bearings that are doubled up fail sooner than the big single since the cooling of the two sides that are against each other is non existent. Bearing cooling with the OEM single bearing roller is better and even better still with the metal pulley with the added bonus of replaceability.

Aside from cooling, the larger bearing should have a higher load rating too so I'd imagine that especially with the vibrations in the TDI that this would help it last longer.
Old March 4th, 2015, 12:39   #29
993er
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Corpus View Post
Keep in coming guys! I'll add this information as soon as possible; including yours 993er.
The WAI Global site gave me a temporary user name and password some time ago so that I could download all of their catalogs.

I have the WBD bearing catalog in PDF but could not attach it here. It does list your bearing sizes and countless others.

993er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 12:43   #30
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993er View Post
The WAI Global site gave me a temporary user name and password some time ago so that I could download all of their catalogs.

I have the WBD bearing catalog in PDF but could not attach it here. It does list your bearing sizes and countless others.
Would you mind emailing it to me?