www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old December 2nd, 2014, 11:14   #31
Wankel7
Veteran Member

73-74 db @ 70mph. Using http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...9-oRoCnKXw_wcB
DLC520, Audi Avant Rear Wiper, .658 5th gear, FX-R HID Retrofit, Philips DRL9 , Atlas skid plate, trailer hitch, ventectomy, Half FIS Euro Cluster, Frostheater, ceramic tint, Scangauge II, and EGR deleted.
VCDS -HEX/CAN & VagTacho available
Wankel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:19   #32
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

I just wanted to echo Wankel7's post about the wheel wells...

As you may remember, I was extremely disappointed with my soundproofing results, after the doors, door cards, and the rest of the entire interior from front to trunk was done. I was still seeing 78-80 db at 70mph on a quiet highway.

I recently finished up a big job on the wheel wells. I used "Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat" on the liners:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I sprayed the wells using 3M 03584 Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating - 16 oz.

The Noico stuff is flexible enough even in a cold garage to work with, and cuts easily enough to fit the weird shapes of the liners.

I cleaned and scrubbed the wells then taped things off before spraying a full can of the 3M stuff on. I didn't tape off the screw holes, and just was careful to avoid covering them too much. This worked out fine. I didn't just spray the wells in the front, but also the longitudinal braces in the frame - what I could get - as I figured those too transmit noise back into the cabin.

The big struggle was to get the liners back in, as the tolerances had changed with the Noico stuff on them, but I got there. I only couldn't get at one screw in the rear left well, as I needed another pair of hands. Otherwise, they went back in well enough.

The result? Using a new decibel meter (my old one was no longer supported) on an iphone, on the same stretch of highway, I got 71-74 decibels, while my buddy's 2016 GTI read 70-73. That's a six decibel difference, folks, or four times less in sound pressure. I couldn't believe it, so I checked it again several days later and got the same result.

The car still transmits high frequency noises into the cabin, no doubt through the window glass, but otherwise, I'm pretty damned happy and there's more to come.
2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 18:39   #33
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

Judson,
So it sounds like, {;o), the best bang for the buck is to do the wheel wells. I've got a bit of a drone with my exhaust at 2k rpm that I doubt deadening the wells would fix. But when the weather gets better,
I'll give it a shot. BOOM to bang ehhhhh.
RC Stage 4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3bar MAP:2.5" Exhaust: Koni Reds HD Springs, ~1"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: XXIO Racing Rims, 215/55ZR16 GMax AS03's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: Ventectomy: Atlas skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: Bosal Hitch: VW racks:
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 18:54   #34
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Judson,

Thank You so much for continuing to post and follow up with your results!!

When I get my TDI Jeep Comanche back home in the spring - this will be the first modification I do to the truck.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 06:04   #35
Judson
Veteran Member

Hey Rrusse11 -

I'm not certain that it's the best bang for the buck, but it sure seems that way. I think any car with very little soundproofing is going to transmit it one way or another. If one only does the wheel wells, then the sound may find its way through the floor and the doors.

I may do the wheel wells of my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee first just to find out. It has surprisingly little soundproofing anywhere, and could use some quieting for sure.
2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.
Old January 4th, 2018, 07:53   #36
kwong7
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48/42/45 MPG

I came back from a 1K miles road-trip (roundtrip) and measured 80-93 decibels from speeds between 35-85mph. It was deafening. It turns out my original rear wheel bearings were toast. Best $250 I spent. I thought all that droning noise was coming from my new tires.
kwong7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 13:37   #37
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Agreed, you can hear a lot noise thru the wheel wells. I partially did the fronts on my wagon and my wife's, but need to tackle the rear next.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 18:46   #38
VincenzaV
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a tank, worse than a cyclist.

Did you do the indie of the wheel wheels, or remove the fender liners and do the outside?
VincenzaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 12:54   #39
Judson
Veteran Member

I removed the liners, sprayed on the 3M stuff onto the wheel well, then also lined the inside of the liners with the Noico stuff. So, once assembled I had a double-layer.
Old January 10th, 2018, 17:40   #40
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Double check body plugs are installed. I've always had a lot of noise at my feet in the wet and snow-since I got the car almost 2 years ago, had it up in the air the other day and never really looked until now, missing both outer front body plugs-nice big air chamber right under my feet and directly in the path of rain/snow etc. Installed some and noticeable reduction in noise.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2018, 11:23   #41
Judson
Veteran Member

Just had a six-speed installed by Brandon at Metrick Methodz in Fort Collis. It a DRW code, with a PD150 DMF and Quaife courtesy of Darkside. RPMs @ 70=1800, @80=2200. I'd say overall decibels dropped about 1.5-2db, no more. Now at about 69-70db at 70mph, and 73db at 80mph. Yes, that's right: I saw a genuine 69db there.

At idle and around time and just standing next to the engine, it is very smooth, very quiet: a lot like the 2015 TDI I test drove recently.
Old January 27th, 2018, 16:12   #42
jettamk4tdisd

Judson - In post #23 you state that the door seals are bad and are next. I am curious if you replaced the felt seal that runs along the top of both the front and back doors or the individual seals for each door and if it made a significant difference. I'm running 85 to 90 most of the time between Rapid City and Gillette on I-90 and it seems like there is significant noise from the top of the driver and passenger's windows. I've adjusted the doors in as far as they go and that did make a big difference. I don't know which door seal to replace next.

Last edited by jettamk4tdisd; January 27th, 2018 at 16:58. Reason: Added signature
jettamk4tdisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 06:29   #43
Judson
Veteran Member

A lot of my highway noise - what I thought was coming through the windows - was eliminated by soundproofing the wheel wells.

Now that The car is much quieter I can hear more little things and yes, I do have some missing felt and a tear in the front door seal that isn’t too bad but needs attention. My doors are also adjusted right up against the body and have been for maybe 10-15 years now.

Sorry I can’t provide more info on this. I have such a long list of things to do to the car (and it keeps growing) that addressing the seals is low priority right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 29th, 2018, 06:38   #44
dremd
Veteran Member

I never quite understood what parts you sound dampened.

The plastic wheel well liners?
The metal that the plastic attaches to?
Both?

I’m definitely considering doing the same, maybe to my EV’s as well.
2014 JSW (Went back to VW) Emissions? Well, about that . . .
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 08:50   #45
Judson
Veteran Member

Both.

I took off the plastic wheel well liners and soundproofed them using:

I also protected with newspaper/taped off the strut/spring/brakes/etc. in the wheel well and then sprayed a whole can of 3M stuff on the wheel well: