www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old November 19th, 2014, 17:37   #16
macoombi
Veteran Member

I have that Radio Shack SPL meter lying around somewhere. I used to be into car stereos back in the day. Back in University, I sprayed the insides of my door panels with rubberized rocker coating and it made a noticeable difference in road noise just from that. Just adding some mass to the panels is going to make a difference. I'd spray everything possible like the wheel wells, inner door panels and the floor.

And tires makes a big difference. I run some half-worn out Dunlop Star Specs (sticky auto-x rubber) for my summers and they're loud as hell. It sounds like I have bad wheel bearing (I've replaced all of them in the last year) and my winter (iPikes) tires are much quieter.

But even with my loud tires, it's still night and day difference between my Jetta and my '00 Honda Civic hatchback that I sold when I got my VW. That thing was loud and it was stock.
macoombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 17:58   #17
str8t six
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 GLS TDI
Fuel Economy: 47mpg

what about replacing some of the door seals? im sure after over 10 years they are pretty worn out and not making a good seal.

2001 Jetta TDI 5spd. Malone stage 1.5 tune, HFLOX Warp stage 2 nozzles, Mufflerectomy, Short shifter,
Black headlights, B-pillars, roof, grille, and taillights, Panzer skid plate,
Eibachs Pro springs, MB motoring Seven wheels, GT Altimax HP 225/45/R17.
str8t six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 18:03   #18
mbalmr

It may not be so much the DBl readings that are troubling, it might be a natural harmonic resonance you find annoying. Particular frequencies that disturb one person will not be noticed by another. Once you reach the harmonic of any object the sound pressure becomes amplified. This phenomon is how opera singers can shatter a glass, its also the reason your keys may jingle a bit at a certain rpm. If you could find the frequency, then you could better isolate and eliminate the sound. Some products act as buffers and others claim more. Lower frequencies pass though objects where higher ones are attenuated. A resonater added to your exhaust may make all the difference in the world.
mbalmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 18:10   #19
dremd
Veteran Member

I went on a noise hunt on my last TDI.
I put about 100 lbs of MLV + 30 lbs of CLD definaley helped, but wasn't shockingly great, to be honest it just made me notice how many rattles the car had (which I eventually fixed).
A few sheets of sticky back felt, some spray silicone, plenty of cleaning with vinylX and gummi pflege http://www.amazon.com/einszett-91480...ds=Gummi+pfege was what was most satisfying for sure.

Current MKIV has stock suspension, "quiet" tires, full factory exhaust, new DMF, and new motor mounts. It probably isn't quite as quiet, but is close.
2014 JSW (Went back to VW) Emissions? Well, about that . . .
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 20:37   #20
tongsli
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTDI Guy View Post
I've always thought my A4's were loud. Not engine but road noise loud. Even my new, off-the-lot Golf. Interested in the outcome of this thread. Road noise is always a high priority when buying new tires. Michelins are usually quieter than most, IMO.
I had a 99 Passat GLX before this TDI and people used to say how quiet the ride was with the windows closed. I love my TDI but miss the quiet ride of the Passat.
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF&Intake Manifold, Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,280mm rears,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power,heated Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge, Webasto Thermotop C heater
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 12:01   #21
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Hey Lito -

Well, I'm not sure about the wheel well plastic - are you talking about outside the car or inside?

The entire interior plastic trim is being removed to install the materials; this includes whatever is lining the rear wheel wells. Also, on our cars, the door windows have to be removed to properly install the materials.

As for the headliner - not much can be done if you have a sunroof, as there's not enough space for anything other than the tiles.

I had already done underneath the carpet when I replaced with a used black one; it didn't make much of a difference. This includes as far up under the front foot wells as I could go.

I have a skidplate yet to be installed. There's just not enough on the roads out here to worry about killing my oil pan. AND it would drop the clearance underneath to unacceptable levels. I do believe it would drop noise levels some, preventing the engine noise reflecting off the pavement. Probably a slight incremental difference, but with an engine cover (which I'll put back on), and a different hood liner, it may add up.

I may purchase a used OEM (plastic) underbelly tray and sideskirts and install that. I threw mine out years ago when it just got too ratty. I think this actually makes a big difference on holding in the engine warmth, which can be a big thing considering Wyoming winters.
2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 12:10   #22
tongsli
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
Hey Lito -

Well, I'm not sure about the wheel well plastic - are you talking about outside the car or inside?

The entire interior plastic trim is being removed to install the materials; this includes whatever is lining the rear wheel wells. Also, on our cars, the door windows have to be removed to properly install the materials.

As for the headliner - not much can be done if you have a sunroof, as there's not enough space for anything other than the tiles.

I had already done underneath the carpet when I replaced with a used black one; it didn't make much of a difference. This includes as far up under the front foot wells as I could go.

I have a skidplate yet to be installed. There's just not enough on the roads out here to worry about killing my oil pan. AND it would drop the clearance underneath to unacceptable levels. I do believe it would drop noise levels some, preventing the engine noise reflecting off the pavement. Probably a slight incremental difference, but with an engine cover (which I'll put back on), and a different hood liner, it may add up.

I may purchase a used OEM (plastic) underbelly tray and sideskirts and install that. I threw mine out years ago when it just got too ratty. I think this actually makes a big difference on holding in the engine warmth, which can be a big thing considering Wyoming winters.
The belly pan definitely keeps things clean underneath especially salt. As you know I put the smaller oil pan cover on my wife's TDI and kept the plastic belly pan on her car.

I lined the side skirts with dyna mat as well.
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF&Intake Manifold, Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,280mm rears,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power,heated Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge, Webasto Thermotop C heater
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 07:42   #23
Judson
Veteran Member

Feedback time: the shop did about as well as they could given that there is almost no rooms in the doors to put soundproofing in without preventing the windows from rolling down.

But this means now that all of the sound comes from the doors and the engine compartment. As a result there really is no difference at all.

My door seals are shot so that is the next step.
2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.
Old November 30th, 2014, 16:32   #24
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Judson - You don't pull any punches do you. No difference at all or now you notice different things? Like the door seals?
Reason I ask is: When I went to the long (.622) 5th gear, the engine noise dropped way down. Result was that I started to notice other noises. The driver side door did not fit right so I had lots of wind noise. Fixed that, then noticed I had a lot of road noise that changed depending on the street surface. Since I need to replace tires soon anyway I took note of your comments about Michelin tires.

Which Michelin tires would you suggest for lower noise??
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 04:35   #25
Wankel7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Feedback time: the shop did about as well as they could given that there is almost no rooms in the doors to put soundproofing in without preventing the windows from rolling down.

But this means now that all of the sound comes from the doors and the engine compartment. As a result there really is no difference at all.

My door seals are shot so that is the next step.
Drive you actually buy a sound level meter? Test for results on the same stretch of pavement type? Based on what I saw inside the door when I replaced the speakers there is plenty of room. The glass has to come out though.
http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/veh...edan-1999-2005
Reading the supply list for the door there is a lot of materials that can go in.
I have installed that peel and seal stuff from HD on the inside of my wheel well liners. A few layers on them. I feel like they make a difference in noise. In the spring when I pull the liners to rinse behind them I will go for a drive with them off and see for sure.

Installing a .658 gear was great for noise though!
DLC520, Audi Avant Rear Wiper, .658 5th gear, FX-R HID Retrofit, Philips DRL9 , Atlas skid plate, trailer hitch, ventectomy, Half FIS Euro Cluster, Frostheater, ceramic tint, Scangauge II, and EGR deleted.
VCDS -HEX/CAN & VagTacho available

Last edited by Wankel7; December 1st, 2014 at 04:40.
Wankel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 10:23   #26
LMJ
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 VW Golf

Quote:
Folks -

I'm paying a local shop (Stitch Headz here in Cheyenne) to install the soundproofing materials I bought from sounddeaningshowdown.com about two years ago.
Noise has always been an issue with me, so I'm happy to see that someone is posting about it. Can you elaborate on the type of materials that you bought 2 years ago. What did you buy? Does it include anything in the wheel wells?

Upgrades: Rocket Chip Stage II, Full Metal Jacket Skid Plate, Bosal Euro Hitch, aluminum capped shifter and new boot, 2-cup rear center console, replaced seats.
LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 10:46   #27
Wankel7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJ View Post
Noise has always been an issue with me, so I'm happy to see that someone is posting about it. Can you elaborate on the type of materials that you bought 2 years ago. What did you buy? Does it include anything in the wheel wells?
This is the list that they have shown now...

http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/veh...edan-1999-2005

Nothing for wheel wells.
DLC520, Audi Avant Rear Wiper, .658 5th gear, FX-R HID Retrofit, Philips DRL9 , Atlas skid plate, trailer hitch, ventectomy, Half FIS Euro Cluster, Frostheater, ceramic tint, Scangauge II, and EGR deleted.
VCDS -HEX/CAN & VagTacho available
Wankel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:09   #28
Judson
Veteran Member

The doors were taken apart and the glass removed. Using the "windowing" technique was not possible as there wasn't enough room. Some soundproofing was installed, like the tiles.

Really, I feel like with the exception of the doors the car is pretty well done.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 08:02   #29
inKryptic

I put Cooper CS5 tires on last week... the difference is amazing. Highly recommend. No observations yet on wear patterns, obviously
inKryptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 08:53   #30
dremd
Veteran Member

I ran CLD on outer door skin, a few bits CLD on inner door skin (lots of curves not much benefit here), a little on the door card + decoupling foam + MLV between the door card and the inner door skin on my last car. No problems whatsoever.

Edit: it was a 2000 with 04 door cards, I have no idea if that makes any difference or not.
2014 JSW (Went back to VW) Emissions? Well, about that . . .
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote