www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old November 19th, 2014, 07:09   #1
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta
Default Soundproofing a MKIV - How much of a difference?

Folks -

I'm paying a local shop (Stitch Headz here in Cheyenne) to install the soundproofing materials I bought from sounddeaningshowdown.com about two years ago.

Since there's been a lot of talk back and forth in various threads about this, and interest from other members in going down this path, I figured a new thread would be appropriate.

To my knowledge, no one around here has measured decibels before and after. Oddly, general google searches on the 'net has come up with little hard information about just how much soundproofing can help.

Right now at 80 mph on I-25 going south from Cheyenne on somewhat quiet pavement in my MKIV Jetta, decibels are at 80. With the radio on loud enough to hear it, decibels are 83. (It is impossible at this level to use a hands-free phone setup. It is way way too loud.)

A modern Toyota Corolla is a 72 decibels. This is using the very unscientific measure of a decibel meter on my iphone. :-)

So, the question is, why am I going down this road? After all, it's a diesel, not a Lexus hybrid, right?

Well, it's this or sell my car down the road and buy something quieter. And quiet costs money, especially if I want a diesel. Take a used A3 diesel if one can find one, or a Mercedes, or a Touareg, or a newer A6 diesel, and etc. A 2013 diesel of one of these is going to start in the mid $30ks. Mid 40s is more like it. I'm not really interested in spending this kind of money.

So, I'm spending about $2.5k on doing the soundproofing (and having a stereo upgrade while I'm at it). If I can get the decibels down to something reasonable - say 72 - then I'll keep my MKIV long term, which will save me a nice chunk of cash, and make driving my car much more pleasurable as well. If not, then in a couple of years I'm looking at selling her and getting something quieter.

Savannah should be out of the shop by the end of the week.

Jud.

PS I'll list the specs of the stereo install at the end of the week as well.

PPS Some caveats: yes I know there are other things I can do to quiet the car - lower gearing, hood liner, different wheels and tires, etc. If I can get the decibels down now, then all of these things will be done over time to further quiet down the car.
2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.

Last edited by Judson; November 19th, 2014 at 07:21.
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 07:32   #2
dmoonen
Veteran Member

All cars are situated around the 70dbish range my bet is most of the noise you have is road noise and vibration from your modifications mainly suspension-bushings-tires. So essentially you made your car more louder and are now trying to make it more quite. If you have the money go for it the cars 13 years old and is paid off and if it makes you keep it longer I say its a better investment then throwing 20-30k+interest down into another car. Just my two cents

VCDS, VAG TACHO, MB STAR MACHINE (WIS, DAS, STAR), MPPS++
dmoonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 08:33   #3
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Glad to see this thread!
I have wondered about using my cell phone (Galaxy S4) as a sound meter. What app are you using and on what phone? I would love to take some sound measurements in my Passat.

I can tell you a longer 5th gear or the 6 speed conversion will make a very large difference in the engine noise. Now wind noise and road noise are what I hear at freeway speeds. I would also like to have some valid before and after measurements.

Look forward to seeing the measured results from your changes. BTW, what did you get from Sounddeadening Showdown and how much did it cost?

Thanks,
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 08:49   #4
Judson
Veteran Member

I am using an app called simply "Decibels." Been using it for quite a while. I use it holding it in front of my in the driver's seat, which is all I care about.

Down the road if I keep the car I'll be putting in a 6-speed. I know that will help. Also, I will look into quieter tires, and under-hood insulation. Nothing I can do about the better suspension bushings in the rear, or the H&R springs upper strut bushings - I'm not about to change those out as I really love them.

I have everything from http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products except the butyl rope. I think it cost me around $800, but can't remember exactly. Got a lot more than needed for my TDI though.

PS He updated his website with cost estimates for different vehicles. For MKIVs, here it is:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com...edan-1999-2005
2001 Jetta TDI, converted to manual, black leather/red stiching, PP520s, rc4, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, PD150 clutch/flywheel, DRW six-speed, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Cluster, Cupra bushings, Koni Reds/stock springs, Alpine iLX-207, foglights, Indiglo boost gauge, Longbeach wheels, Euro wood steering wheel, lift pump, Gentex autodim/homelink mirror.

Last edited by Judson; November 19th, 2014 at 08:51.
Old November 19th, 2014, 09:49   #5
NHgranite
Veteran Member

I'll measure my car this afternoon.

I've done full door & floor treatment w/ CLD & MLV. Transmission has a 3.16R&P, Exhaust is 2.5" full w/ aeroturbine muffler.

ATMO, it sounds great for an active 2-way + sub.

Decibel report to follow shortly...
Old November 19th, 2014, 09:56   #6
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Tires can have a HUGE affect on road noise in the car.
Old November 19th, 2014, 13:34   #7
Judson
Veteran Member

I personally only run Michelins, but they are on 17s now. I could go back to 16s, but generally, I don't think my car will get a lot quieter because of the tires.

I can say this: pavement type can make a HUGE difference on noise!
Old November 19th, 2014, 13:57   #8
tongsli
Veteran Member

Judson,

The Iphone app is not very accurate. We have a decibel meter at work from Radio Shack and it's much more accurate.

It is also very directional how your levels are measured.

That being said, Have you considered putting the sound insulation material behind the plastic wheel wells?
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF&Intake Manifold, Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,280mm rears,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power,heated Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge, Webasto Thermotop C heater
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 14:34   #9
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongsli View Post
Judson,

The Iphone app is not very accurate. We have a decibel meter at work from Radio Shack and it's much more accurate.

It is also very directional how your levels are measured.

That being said, Have you considered putting the sound insulation material behind the plastic wheel wells?
Two things come to mind:

1) How repeatable is the smart phone app as a sound meter? If it does a good job of repeating the same measurement result, then doesn't that tell me if there has been a measurable improvement or not??

2) How much $$ and which Radio Shack part number?
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 14:41   #10
tongsli
Veteran Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RadioShack-D...item35dd3808d7

This is the one we have 33-2055. The microphone on the radio shack unit vs the iphone microphone are NO comparison. I've used both side by side and the iphone is less sensitive. The Radio shack unit can distinguish between hi and low frequencies. It also lets you control your sample rate between fast and slow.

You can switch DB ranges using the dial and it will give you max and min values.
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF&Intake Manifold, Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,280mm rears,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power,heated Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge, Webasto Thermotop C heater

Last edited by tongsli; November 19th, 2014 at 14:45.
Old November 19th, 2014, 15:12   #11
Judson
Veteran Member

Hey Lito - long time no talk to!

The iPhone app is not accurate but it is consistent. That and my own experience is all I need. Sound is such a dynamic thing and we feel as much as we hear, which no decibel meter can measure. Just ask any recording engineer how hard it is to record something that sounds good in more than one environment!

As my car is already in the shop it is too late to use any other measurement so I will do my best to describe the difference.

I expect that I will just notice how loud the wind and road noise is! But the real question for me to be answered is: is it livable long term?

Thanks for the advice on the wheel wells. I will have to buy something specific to that application as well as the hood stuff. But that is for another year !
Old November 19th, 2014, 16:27   #12
NHgranite
Veteran Member

It's true regarding poor mic performance on the iPhone. Prior to my test for Judson, I downloaded two different SPL apps.

The first one gave me an average of 68dB and the second was 77dB. Cruising at 70mph in 5th at 2200rpm.

Overall, I would say the sound dampening is an improvement. I'm happy with the results. YMMV.
Old November 19th, 2014, 16:41   #13
tongsli
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
Hey Lito - long time no talk to!

The iPhone app is not accurate but it is consistent. That and my own experience is all I need. Sound is such a dynamic thing and we feel as much as we hear, which no decibel meter can measure. Just ask any recording engineer how hard it is to record something that sounds good in more than one environment!

As my car is already in the shop it is too late to use any other measurement so I will do my best to describe the difference.

I expect that I will just notice how loud the wind and road noise is! But the real question for me to be answered is: is it livable long term?

Thanks for the advice on the wheel wells. I will have to buy something specific to that application as well as the hood stuff. But that is for another year !

I'm positive you will be happy with everything. Would love to take a ride at a future GTG.

My buddy is going to do the same/similar with dynamat and I think he's going to line the wheel well plastic.

I have replaced my hood insulation with Dynamat and I have it on my engine cover(underside) and on my steel skid plate. But that's it for now.

L
Old November 19th, 2014, 17:06   #14
dremd
Veteran Member

Tires make a HUGE HUGE difference, I saw 15 db (iPhone) reduction going from Re050's (run flats) that were heavily feathered to a set of tires that were reviewed as quite.

That said, the 2014 is unbelievably quiet at 75, where as the 03 is probably similar to the 13 Camry I had as a rental last year.
2014 JSW (Went back to VW) Emissions? Well, about that . . .
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 17:19   #15
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41

I've always thought my A4's were loud. Not engine but road noise loud. Even my new, off-the-lot Golf. Interested in the outcome of this thread. Road noise is always a high priority when buying new tires. Michelins are usually quieter than most, IMO.

'01 Jetta GLS, 5 sp, Black on Black, Leather, Sun Roof, MFSW, Monsoon, Cold Weather Pkg., Full LED interior, always a work in progress
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote