www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale

Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale VW TDI/Diesel related items for sale by vendors and Groupbuys. The only commercial posts to these forums are that of Vendors with TDI related equipment. To start a post, you must be a Registered Vendor. You may periodically post a note about products you may have for sale/services so long you indicate clearly you are from the company selling these products/services. The right to discontinue this practice & remove excessive posts remains with the operators of TDIClub. Please note there is also a webpage of TDI Vendors" Group-buys are permited if sponsored by a registered vendor.

Old October 22nd, 2014, 13:24   #1
corrado tdi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 43ish overall
Default Dieselgeek replacement MK4 shifter bushings!

Hey Yall,

Jim from Dieselgeek here. I wanted to make a formal announcement about our new line of replacement shifter bushings created for the MK4 Golf, Jetta and New Beetle. As you know, the cars are getting on up there in age and the soft plastic bushings on the cabin-side of the manual shifter mechanism are starting to fail due to heat, age and wear and tear. I found out this the hard way last summer when I was on a trip in New Mexico. I had a bushing go bad which made it hard to get into first and second gears. After fiddling with my shifter for a few minutes I found that my relay lever bushing had cracked which kept my side to side bell crank from extending enough to get 1st and 2nd gears. Here are a couple pictures(bear with me, I am switching servers Dec, 2017):

Here's a picture of an intact bushing:

Here is the bushing after is pulled it off of the shift lever:

My machinist and I came up with a replacement, the First Gear Getter, that fits into the socket of the side to side bell crank:

The First Gear Getter installs from the topside, inside the cabin in about 15 minutes. The alternative to the FGG is to buy a new $100 shift lever from a VW dealer which requires you to drop the exhaust, heat shield and shifter box to install it.

So, if you are having to push harder and harder to get 1st and second gears then you should check your cabin side bushing for cracks like the first picture above.

Last edited by corrado tdi; December 9th, 2017 at 10:16.
corrado tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 13:25   #2
corrado tdi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

The second major problem we have solved involves 2000 and newer MK4 shift cables. The shift cables have soft rubber/plastic bushings that fit into the ends on the cabin side. When they go bad, shifting quality suffers greatly. Here is a YouTube video to diagnose a bad cable end bushing. In general, there will be a lot of slack in the shift lever where it seems like you aren't doing anything. Keep moving the stick and eventually you can get the cable to move into gear--usually. I've been hearing of people replacing transmissions thinking that something internal to the transmission is bad when it was only a shift cable bushing. And if you figure out that you have a bad cable end bushing then until now you would have been faced with a complete cable replacement since VW chose not to make the end bushings available as replacement parts. SO, instead of replacing $400 worth of shift cables we came up with our Cable Saver Replacement VW Cable End Bushing Set.

Here is a YouTube video on installing the side to side shift cable bushing. I figured out how to do this job from the topside which is a big time saver if only the side to side bushing is bad.

Here is the YouTube video for the front to back bushing replacement.

If you want to replace the front to back cable bushing from inside the car take a look at this video: https://youtu.be/kPII13ZUBZE

All of the Dieselgeek YouTube How-to shifter videos are here.

Last edited by corrado tdi; December 9th, 2017 at 10:10. Reason: New info
Old October 22nd, 2014, 13:56   #3
corrado tdi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Here is a free shifter upgrade from Dieselgeek! Shim your MK4 shifter shaft ball socket by watching this YouTube video.

Last edited by corrado tdi; October 22nd, 2014 at 13:58.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 14:56   #4
BlankThis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: suck, squeeze, bang, smoke

This is what I needed Jim!

Good tip on the shaft bushing socket. Here's a write-up and part # if anyone would prefer to replace the socket rather than shim it. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...n-up-em-shifts
[360k] - | GT1749VB | DLC764s | Southbend Stage 3 daily (soon) | WIX 24770 + CAT 1R7050 | DG Sigma 5 | 25th anni. e-codes | W8 console | NewSouth boost gauge | Koni Yellows/SRT.Ts w/ Neuspeed Sport springs | 1.8T pancake (soon) | PD150 intake w/ racepipe (soon) |
BlankThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 18:56   #5
aNUT

Fuel Economy: Great.

thanks for keeping our old cars feelin' new Jim!
Old November 6th, 2014, 14:02   #6
chudzikb
Veteran Member

Would these be applicable to an 02M shifter? I have one for my 6 speed swap, and since the shifter is currently out of the car, would be a fine time to do these bushings?
chudzikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 19:58   #7
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: amazing/excellent/still pretty good

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudzikb View Post
Would these be applicable to an 02M shifter? I have one for my 6 speed swap, and since the shifter is currently out of the car, would be a fine time to do these bushings?
Yes. I can see no difference between an 02J shift box and an 02m. In fact I'm using my original 02j box with the 02m I installed a few years ago.

You'll still need to determine which type of cable end you have
runonbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 20:09   #8
corrado tdi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

The Cable Saver set is now universal for any MK4 car built from 2000-2006. You don't need to know which type of cables your car came with. We provide bushings for both types.

Last edited by corrado tdi; May 1st, 2017 at 09:40.
Old December 5th, 2014, 15:16   #9
chudzikb
Veteran Member

Thank you, I will check and get back to you with an order...
chudzikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 11:06   #10
FL/COtdi
Veteran Member

Can you please post a link for the video on how to install the mk4 first gear getter?
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:52   #11
corrado tdi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

This video shows you all you need to know about installing the First Gear Getter. There's not much to it really.

Last edited by corrado tdi; May 1st, 2017 at 09:43. Reason: New info
Old December 10th, 2014, 18:42   #12
FL/COtdi
Veteran Member

Pictures/videos make it easy thanks.
Old April 26th, 2017, 10:52   #13
UhOh
Veteran Member

Would either of these fixes (one or both?) correct a case where, with my 02m car (MKIV), shifting into first gear will occasionally feel like it's binding against plastic? I'll have this issue mostly when the car is cold. It's kind of like something is blocking full travel; a couple of pokes and it'll manage to engage first, though it still seems like it's not fully shifting. I do not believe any of the other gears are having difficulties.

I just got this car recently, so no idea whether this is a preexisting condition or something that just decided to make an appearance after I got it. Fguring that I'd look into what's going on before attempting to do any work- haven't attempted to adjust cables or anything.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 16:57   #14
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: amazing/excellent/still pretty good

Ugh, just wrote a long post about this and fat fingered some rapid-auto delete of the post.

Look at the metal tube on the front to back cable under the little rubber accordion boot of the shift cable on the transmission end. Take out the battery and airbox and get a really good look at it. SHould be straight as an arrow. any kinks will bind the cable end when it is pulling into 1st, 3rd, 5th and R.

Jim actually has a box of mine in his hands right now with this problem and is looking into a solution.
runonbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 17:12   #15
UhOh
Veteran Member

Wouldn't a condition like this cause the shifting to be pretty consistently mucked up?

Issue I'm having is really, seemingly, only here and there and, I think, only when it's cold. If I were the only one to drive this car I wouldn't really fret over it; but, wife may drive it and I don't want her to run into a situation in which she's struggling to get it into first: of course; if one just goes for second and then goes for revs then this can be gotten around. With the known issues with the 02m (shifting forks) I'm hesitant, though, to let it just ride.

Jim's on my list for another Panzer plate: this same car is in need of one.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote