www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old September 3rd, 2014, 09:29   #61
Wing_man

TDI(s): Allroad BHW

So I tried pulling some DTC's yesterday... I'm rather new to VCDS (picked up my first cable and software a few months ago) and I'm not 100% sure which block to check out. I've tried all the ones that sound like it could be linked to the a/c, and so far most of them have said '' cannot communicate with controller '' or something like that. I will be fiddling around with some of the wiring. I know that I have spliced the wires that are color matched:
Black and Yellow and Black and Grey are spliced from BHW harness ---> Audi harness.

4. gn/bl (green/blue) going from A2 to the ecu. This appears to be the engine speed signal.
Perhaps if I spliced this one into the passat's rpm signal??? Which pin could that be on the T90 connector?
Wing_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 11:13   #62
Ifixit
Veteran Member

Any fault codes?
use VCDS button: 08-auto HVAC then fault codes

Maby someone else can chime in but I think some inst cluster also has rpm sq wave signal out..
EDC16 only has rpm out via can I believe

Petroleum Enthusiast
Ifixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 11:25   #63
jonlowe
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_man View Post
So I tried pulling some DTC's yesterday... I'm rather new to VCDS (picked up my first cable and software a few months ago) and I'm not 100% sure which block to check out. I've tried all the ones that sound like it could be linked to the a/c, and so far most of them have said '' cannot communicate with controller '' or something like that. I will be fiddling around with some of the wiring. I know that I have spliced the wires that are color matched:
Black and Yellow and Black and Grey are spliced from BHW harness ---> Audi harness.

4. gn/bl (green/blue) going from A2 to the ecu. This appears to be the engine speed signal.
Perhaps if I spliced this one into the passat's rpm signal??? Which pin could that be on the T90 connector?
I couldn't find that function on the BHW ecu. It may be there, but no clue what pin. My WAG is that the Passat gets rpm thru the CAN bus.

Are you using a genuine VCDS cable, or a generic cable and VCDS lite? If genuine, go to autoscan, and select your vehicle type, Audi A6, and do an autoscan. It will take maybe 10 minutes, and will give you all fault codes on each module in the car.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
jonlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 12:22   #64
jonlowe
Veteran Member

BTW, what clutch, pressure plate, flywheel did you use? Any spacers required or other mods?

Jon
Old September 3rd, 2014, 12:55   #65
Wing_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlowe View Post
BTW, what clutch, pressure plate, flywheel did you use? Any spacers required or other mods?

Jon
MK4 1.8t clutch/flywheel/pressure plate. Remember to insert a pilot bearing into the BHW's crank shaft, the auto torque converter set-up dosen't require it...!

I'll re-scan the car tonight... I don't have a genuine cable so I have limited functionality... I'll keep you posted though!
Old September 3rd, 2014, 13:02   #66
Wing_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifixit View Post
Any fault codes?
use VCDS button: 08-auto HVAC then fault codes

Maby someone else can chime in but I think some inst cluster also has rpm sq wave signal out..
EDC16 only has rpm out via can I believe
I'll could try plugging the rpm signal from the instrument cluster to the a/c control head...! If that was the missing link to the a/c control head (E87) kicking the a/c compressor into gear that would be pretty sweet... I'll have a look and see what wire that could be aswell.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 14:01   #67
Wing_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_man View Post
I'll could try plugging the rpm signal from the instrument cluster to the a/c control head...! If that was the missing link to the a/c control head (E87) kicking the a/c compressor into gear that would be pretty sweet... I'll have a look and see what wire that could be aswell.
So having trouble finding an rpm signal... Also, where are all the T10 connectors (audi A6 electronic box plenum chamber)?
Old September 3rd, 2014, 14:28   #68
jonlowe
Veteran Member

If I understand what you are asking, the T10 connectors shown on the climate control wiring diagram are located behind the kick panel (called the lower A-pillar trim) on the drivers side. I'd attach a PDF of how to remove it if the forum would let me, but it is pretty straight forward.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 18:43   #69
nate0031
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor

TDI(s): 96 B4 Passat

So you're using the single mass 1.8t setup? The Valeo kit? Does it seem to hold the stage 2 tune well?
nate0031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 20:38   #70
96cali

TDI(s): Passat

Awesome thread. You guys are impressive.
96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 05:39   #71
Wing_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate0031 View Post
So you're using the single mass 1.8t setup? The Valeo kit? Does it seem to hold the stage 2 tune well?
Yes Valeo kit, no issues, works as advertised.

So in other news, yesterday I played around again (after a 12 hr shift)... I attempted to make the ''sensor'' dash light on the information panel disappear by tricking the wiring with a resistor. No dice. I will have to buy the sensor from the 2.7 and find a way to install it into the tdi oil pan.

But wait! There's more!

Here are all the 08 air EVAP codes... I feel like I have a lot of work to do, but I have a lot more sense of direction... Good call on the VCDS!

Old September 4th, 2014, 06:27   #72
jonlowe
Veteran Member

Clear the codes, drive it for awhile, try to use the climate control, rescan, and see what shows up. Those may be old codes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old September 4th, 2014, 11:28   #73
vwztips
Veteran Member

Wing_man you need to hurry up and figure this out. My A6 should be arriving anytime now!
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 11:47   #74
Wing_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwztips View Post
Wing_man you need to hurry up and figure this out. My A6 should be arriving anytime now!
Its coming along. I have erased my dtc's and rescan tonight... I'm getting close, I think perhaps my ac system has a leak... That wound explain the low pressure sensor acting up. As always more to follow.
Old September 4th, 2014, 18:05   #75
Wing_man

Okay, so after clearing codes, driving and re-scanning :

-00819 High Pressure sensor (G65) 07-00 - Signal too low

-01592 - Air Quality sensor (G238) 57-00 - Electric circuit Failiure

My question is, Would the G65 hi press sensor cause the A/C to go into safe mode and lock out the a/c? There is zero pressure in the system (I checked by depressing one of the fill valve stems, I must have a leak somewhere)...!

Getting the A/C to work would be amazing, I have go see THE girlfriend next week in Ottawa (3hr drive).