www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 27th, 2014, 13:28   #46
Ifixit
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlowe View Post
That is true with the original allroad ECU. But on the Passat BHW ecu, I can't find any correlation to the pins you mention. There are two connectors on the Passat ecu, T60 and T94. To which are you referring?
Ok so then he must be using EDC16 ecu (the original NA market BHW controller)

my next question would be is the ecu coding set for climatronic?
I believe the only coding option for that control unit is manual or automatic climate control unless his tuner changed the firmware

BHW with climatronic only has one wire from clima T16B to ECU T94 pin 50 blk/gry
also has a wire from ecu to passat fan module which will also be different on allroad and probably wont effect compressor engagement
Any engine DTCs?
lets check clima DTCs first now can we?

the thing is the clima units are different between the two cars so pinouts/signal may not match up exactly
also, A6 TDI of that era used edc15P in Europe I believe so control scheme in ECU may be different

elsawin is down here right now so I dont have access to allroad tdi wire diagrams but maby someone else does?
mine will be fixed soon...

Petroleum Enthusiast

Last edited by Ifixit; August 27th, 2014 at 13:51.
Ifixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 13:47   #47
Scott_DeWitt

Why not verify what the real Allroad diesels used regarding pins? Also the 1.9 was put into A6's as well.
Old August 27th, 2014, 13:53   #48
Ifixit
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_DeWitt View Post
Why not verify what the real Allroad diesels used regarding pins? Also the 1.9 was put into A6's as well.
Thats what I was thinking but no elsa right now..

DTCs would be a great place to start for no compressor engagement IMO

ECU would be EDC15P in the A6 1.9 of that era right scott?

Petroleum Enthusiast

Last edited by Ifixit; August 27th, 2014 at 13:59.
Old August 27th, 2014, 14:01   #49
Scott_DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifixit View Post
ECU would be EDC15P in the A6 1.9 of that era right scott?
I believe this to be correct for the PD models (2001-2005).
Old August 27th, 2014, 14:08   #50
jonlowe
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifixit View Post
Ok so then he must be using EDC16 ecu (the original NA market BHW controller)

my next question would be is the ecu coding set for climatronic?
I believe the only coding option for that control unit is manual or automatic climate control unless his tuner changed the firmware

BHW with climatronic only has one wire from clima T16B to ECU T94 pin 50 blk/gry
also has a wire from ecu to passat fan module which will also be different on allroad and probably wont effect compressor engagement
Any engine DTCs?
lets check clima DTCs first now can we?

the thing is the clima units are different between the two cars so pinouts/signal may not match up exactly
also, A6 TDI of that era used edc15P in Europe I believe so control scheme in ECU may be different

elsawin is down here right now so I dont have access to allroad tdi wire diagrams but maby someone else does?
mine will be fixed soon...
As I pointed out in post 28, T94/85 also connects to the Passat Climatronic T12/2, 'RPM increase". This doesn't show directly on the ECU side of the ELSA wiring diagram, but does show on the Climatronic side of the wiring diagrams. So there are two connections between the climatronic and the Passat ECU.

Good thought about the coding. That may help him.

Jon
jonlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 14:09   #51
jonlowe
Veteran Member

Quote:
Good point. I'll check.
Old August 27th, 2014, 14:27   #52
Ifixit
Veteran Member

Yes A6 1.9 L with climatronic should be the closest wire diagram match
Although on the ECUs side the pin out won't match as it will be EDC15P
But if there is only two wires from climb a Tronic unit to ECU then it may work with those two wires connected to the right pins

Petroleum Enthusiast

Last edited by Ifixit; August 27th, 2014 at 14:35.
Old August 27th, 2014, 15:37   #53
jonlowe
Veteran Member

Well, ELSA is giving me fits also. It's not letting me see the engine or climate control wiring diagrams for any A6's with the 1.9 TDI engine.

We really need to understand what the three signal wires between the stock allroad ECU and climate control are. At least on the Passat I was able to find out what the Climatronic signals were. I can't find anything similar for the allroad.

Jon
Old August 28th, 2014, 05:39   #54
Ifixit
Veteran Member

Ive found one description on the allroad 2.7 diagram:

clima A2 to 2.7 ECU pin 37 grn/blu "Tachometer"
Shows a direct connection beetween clima and ECU with a tap comming off that goes to" Tachometer"
not sure if that is going to be helpful but I believe some clusters have a RPM out square wave signal?
beautiful mitchell wire diagrams

Petroleum Enthusiast
Old August 28th, 2014, 12:10   #55
Wing_man

TDI(s): Allroad BHW

Quote:
What transmission are you using? .54 is not an 01E gear ratio.
Yeah my bad Scott, It's a .56 6th.
Wing_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 12:18   #56
Wing_man

TDI(s): Allroad BHW

As for active DTC's I've left my VCDS cable and laptop at my shop in ottawa, I will scan in a few days I'll see what I find. I'll also do some more digging for the pressure switch thing.

The econ light is on when is start the vehicle. If I hit the econ button the light goes off for a few seconds then comes back on.
Wing_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 13:18   #57
Ifixit
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_man View Post
The econ light is on when is start the vehicle. If I hit the econ button the light goes off for a few seconds then comes back on.
Climatronic is locking out ac due to a system fault then..
check codes and let us know

Petroleum Enthusiast
Old August 28th, 2014, 14:38   #58
jonlowe
Veteran Member

Ok, got ELSA working. I found that the 2001 A6 with the 1.9 AJM TDI engine uses a climate control in the same family as the allroad, if not exactly the same one; they have variants for w/wo heated seats, NAV, etc. The AJM is the only 1.9 I could find that used a compressor clutch rather than the compressor control that Scott mentioned. In addition, Audi made a running change in the climate control in 2002, and I don't know which one he has or if it even makes a difference in the wiring.
Anyway, pin numbers between the BHW and AJM ecu's don't match at all, but wire colors seem to match reasonably well, discounting for differences in the engine electronics.

The A6 climate control shows:
1. sw/ge (black/yellow) going from A7 to the ECU. This seems to match up with the same function as black/yellow on the Passat ecu, terminal T94/85.

2. ws/bl (white/blue) going from C13 to the ECU. Unfortunately, the AJM ecu has multiple white/blue wires. The connection to C13 on the climate control is interesting because it is only noted for diesels. The AJM ecu has white/blue on terminal 61, but that goes to the EGR valve. It also has white/blue on terminal 15, that indicates it goes to the climate control. I don't know what the function is. Finally, the AJM ecu has a sw/bl changing to white/blue at terminal 20. This appears to be a speedometer related item. The Passat ecu has two white/blue wires, one of which is only used for an additional heater (not for US/CDN), and the other going to the speedo. So I don't know where to connect this wire from C13 on the Passat ecu, or if it is even necessary.

3. sw/gr (Black/grey) going from C15 to the ecu. This appears to match T94/50 on the Passat ecu, same color wire.

4. gn/bl (green/blue) going from A2 to the ecu. This appears to be the engine speed signal. I don't know where this signal is on the Passat ecu, or if it is available there. I would think it would be, but I don't know where. That color wire doesn't appear to exist on the Passat ecu. The Passat climate control has a pin for it, but it doesn't appear to be used on the wiring diagram. I also can't find it on the Passat gauges pinout. They may use the CAN bus on the Passat.

I've got PDFs of the A6 diagrams (and the Passat) if you need them. I'd post them, but there only seems to be a way to post images, not PDFs.

Jon
Old August 28th, 2014, 14:58   #59
Scott02
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too Many
Fuel Economy: 51/45/41

Wish I had some to add, but when I couldn't figure it out "simply", I gave up and moved onto other far more important items.
02 allroad TDI 6MT - 150kmi, current project, getting a BSM deleted BHW and euro TDI geared 01E quattro
Scott02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 18:42   #60
Scott_DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlowe View Post
Ok, got ELSA working. I found that the 2001 A6 with the 1.9 AJM TDI engine uses a climate control in the same family as the allroad, if not exactly the same one; they have variants for w/wo heated seats, NAV, etc. The AJM is the only 1.9 I could find that used a compressor clutch rather than the compressor control that Scott mentioned. In addition, Audi made a running change in the climate control in 2002, and I don't know which one he has or if it even makes a difference in the wiring.
Anyway, pin numbers between the BHW and AJM ecu's don't match at all, but wire colors seem to match reasonably well, discounting for differences in the engine electronics.
Most of the climate control head differences are cosmetic. The plastic finish changed in 2002 and the seat heater switches are mounted in the head unit. Not sure about the nav, but the head unit is probably slightly smaller. The only wiring differences that I know of are the cars with solar sunroof, there is an additional few wires that go to the sunroof.